Can't Take Dry Cutting, Question About Starting Liquid Titration

[a8...]

[a8...]
After doing a dry cut of .25 every two weeks (starting at 2 mg's of Klonopin daily, I did two weeks of 1.75 and the past three days on 1.5 have been unbearable both physically and mentally) I've reluctantly decided to bump back up to 2.0. My prescriber wants me to actually go up to 3.0 but I'm much more reticent to do that as I know I'll just be prolonging the agony. However, I know I've reached tolerance withdrawal and my question is: should I immediately start a liquid taper with 2.0 even though I feel worse than I've ever felt, or should I try and stabilize first, even if that means going up on my dosage? I'm feeling very lost and I don't know what to do.

[a8...]
I mean, I understand that but since I'm at tolerance withdrawal isn't it going to be awful regardless? And if I go up and start a liquid taper that means I won't be off this terrible stuff for a very long time. I need to get on with my life, because of this dependency I've lost my job and my social life and developed crippling agoraphobia and DP/DR. This is a nightmare. Also, will the liquid taper really alleviate my side effects that much or will it likely for the most part still be torture like I'm going through now?

I mean, I understand that but since I'm at tolerance withdrawal isn't it going to be awful regardless? And if I go up and start a liquid taper that means I won't be off this terrible stuff for a very long time. I need to get on with my life, because of this dependency I've lost my job and my social life and developed crippling agoraphobia and DP/DR. This is a nightmare. Also, will the liquid taper really alleviate my side effects that much or will it likely for the most part still be torture like I'm going through now?

Sorry you are having such a tough time.  For me the symptoms would go up and down.  I would have some good days and some bad days.  I do know that when i was at my worst, I felt like it would never end.  That I would feel that way for ever.  When I look back I now know that it was the benzo lying to me and it was only a short time.  Please know that this will pass.  Hang in there it will get better. 

I'm at tolerance withdrawal isn't it going to be awful regardless? And if I go up and start a liquid taper that means I won't be off this terrible stuff for a very long time.

I was where you are and thought the same things and felt the same. Cut-n-hold was too much for me and I was cutting at half the rate you are (.125) I managed to cut my dose from 3mg. K to 1.25 and then stayed there for about a month and seemed to finally level out to where I felt well enough to resume a liquid taper. It wasn't easy and felt like it would never end but it got better. It has been much, much better since doing the liquid. I would try to hold for a few weeks to a month if necessary and see if things settle down. .25 cuts of K are huge...you need to give yourself a chance to catch up. I'm not a big fan of updosing, but many do it with good results, so that is an option...that is key...knowing there are always options.

tryinhard

Here are my thoughts on it from my experience. Like you, I hit tolerance withdrawal. My theory on this is that you won't ever level out unless you go up to an amount that is more than what your tolerance calls for. Obviously, you probably don't want to do that. I was there, I never even attempted to updose. Once I realized where I was, I decided that down was the only direction to go. During my whole taper I never reached a level of feeling ok. Maybe your experience will be different. I held at one dose quite a long time to just see if I could level out but it never happened for me. After that point, I just made a taper schedule for myself and stuck to it. I often look back and wonder if I should have just got off it altogether instead of tapering down to nothing.

I still believe tapering down was the right option but it was hard for me to resolve that in my mind when I felt so bad while still taking it. I think it is more of what you can tolerate in your mind than what your body calls for.

Shakey1, if you never stabilized, how was it for you once you got off?

It really wasn't that much different for me when I finished tapering than when I was still tapering at a low dose. I was already in full blown withdrawal at the time.

Shakey, how are you feeling now? I know I've been in some sort of w/d for 5 years and am so worried I'll never feel normal again. Even when I'm done with this taper. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my thoughts on it from my experience. Like you, I hit tolerance withdrawal. My theory on this is that you won't ever level out unless you go up to an amount that is more than what your tolerance calls for. Obviously, you probably don't want to do that. I was there, I never even attempted to updose. Once I realized where I was, I decided that down was the only direction to go. During my whole taper I never reached a level of feeling ok. Maybe your experience will be different. I held at one dose quite a long time to just see if I could level out but it never happened for me. After that point, I just made a taper schedule for myself and stuck to it. I often look back and wonder if I should have just got off it altogether instead of tapering down to nothing.

I still believe tapering down was the right option but it was hard for me to resolve that in my mind when I felt so bad while still taking it. I think it is more of what you can tolerate in your mind than what your body calls for.

Im actually starting to think that as well... that by taking the drug it makes me feel worse ..when i take my am dose i get surges of adrenaline etc....i have host of other problems as well like photo sensitiity from the drug my eyes cant tolerate light ...my teeth are a mess from clenching and i have tmj problems

I can relate to the awfulness of having to go back up (even tho you still feel awful). I tried to go down to .25mg when I first wanted to get off the stuff thinking maybe it would be manageable and it wasn't. I had to go back up which was frustrating because even at .5 I felt awful on the stuff and I'm trying to get off this stuff ASAP. I can say that even though I still feel awful, I can at least handle the w/d stuff more.

I'm doing the liquid taper and my first initial drop was 10%. I'm thinking of doing a microtaper (taking a little out per day). I want to see if I can actually go quicker because at the moment doing 10% right away hasn't been easy but manageable. Someone mentioned that doing a micro taper was like going down a ramp as opposed to going doing steps. So, I'm hoping I can get off this stuff quicker but we'll see.

Good luck with your taper!!