When to take Klonopin

[...]

I have just switched over to Klonopin (.125 mg) from Xanax.  I'll eventually be dropping the Klonopin too but not yet. I need to get my strength back & this horrible anxiety & sleeplessness addressed.  Anyway I have 2 questions as to the dosing schedule:

1.  Can I just use the Klonopin on an "as needed" basis for now?  My doctor prescribed it .125 in the am & at night, but I don't want to take it in the am at all if I can possibly avoid it.  I'd like to use it just for sleeping, if possible.

2.  I have read on the Forum about the necessity to keep to a strict schedule with Klonopin.  Taking it at the same times every day. Is this for tapering or would I have to do that if I were to take it twice daily?

Thanks

Pam

1.  Can I just use the Klonopin on an "as needed" basis for now?  My doctor prescribed it .125 in the am & at night, but I don't want to take it in the am at all if I can possibly avoid it.  I'd like to use it just for sleeping, if possible.

Are you still taking the Xanax at all? Klono doesn't work as fast as Xanax and takes longer to build up in the blood system. It also has a longer half life meaning it stays in the blood system longer than Xanax. Klonopin is prescribed to be take 2 or 3 times per day but many have used it just for sleep at night and have no problems with withdrawal symptoms during the day.

2.  I have read on the Forum about the necessity to keep to a strict schedule with Klonopin.  Taking it at the same times every day. Is this for tapering or would I have to do that if I were to take it twice daily?

It is recommended to take the same amount at the same time every day for tapering. If you only want to take at night for sleep and do not experience withdrawal symptoms during the day, you can still taper it slowly just taking once a day.

No, I'm not taking the Xanax at all anymore.

Thank you. I will try just taking it at night & see how it goes.  I was only taking the Xanax that way as well.  Very rarely I would take a small small piece, maybe .125 mg, during the day, or a bit more when I had to fly (rarely), but other than that I only took for sleeping & had no problems with that during the day.  Hope I can do it with Klonopin. I guess I just need to find the right time to take it so I'm not hung over groggy in the morning.  Any suggestions?

Pam

Hi Pam,

Your body needs to adjust to the switch from Xanax to Klonopin.  The best way for that to happen is to adhere to a schedule.  If you don't want to take it in the am, then don't; but be consistant. 

I know your Dr prescribed it for "as needed" but since you've been on Xanax so long, I think you and your body have gone beyond the "as needed" stage.  Your body expects it and you've come to rely on it too.

Since you're preparing yourself to taper, you'll want to start now by following a schedule.  Your Dr wanted to put you on roughly the same equivalent dose of Klonopin so you might want to follow his lead on this.  It's up to you of course, it's important to listen to what your body is trying to tell you.

Pam

I did most everything the 'wrong' way.  My opinion is that regardless of whether you choose to take it once or twice a day, stick to a strict schedule.  I took Klonopin for many years and I wish I would have been more careful about when I took it.  I don't like taking this kind of stuff on an as needed basis - like one on one day, two another day, back to one another day.  Too much jerking around the neurological system.  But, if you really need it, you should take it.  I would take try taking it in the evening before bed, if you are groggy the next morning, then try early evening.  Klonopin in itself can make you groggy. You may not be able to escape that effect regardless of what time you take it. 

Thank you!  This is really good advice.

Ok, I'm going to try to take the Klonopin only at night for sleeping.  No "as needed" unless it is absolutely necessary to make it through the day.

I guess I'll have to experiment as to when to take it for the nighttime.  I have a parttime job that requires me to be steady on my feet to show tourists around so I may be having some early to bed nights instead of my usual lights out at around 11 or 11:30.

Today was my first day with the Klonopin & I didn't much like the feeling as it wore off. Hard to explain it.  Some anxiety but mostly ..........heck, I don't know how to describe it not very enjoyable.  And I surely can't walk a straight line!

It's entirely possible I may have to go down to an eighth.

Pam

Bad bad night.  I took the Klonopin at 9:30 & it was as if I hadn't taken it. Couldn't sleep, felt nauseated & cold, altho hands & feet hot & sweaty.  Not much anxiety tho.  This went on until 2:30. I just lay there.  On & off nauseated.  I had had brown rice, spinach & omelet for supper, with water.  Just before bedtime & after the Klonopin, I took my multivitamin & some plain yogurt.

Finally around 2:30, my stomach calmed down enough for me to turn over & finally doze  off to sleep. Woke just bow, almost 5 am, heart pounding, high anxiety.

Why didn't the Klonopin work?  Is this the Xanax needing to be tapered?  I never took more than 1/2 mg per day of it & that was rarely. For the past 6 months, it's been more like 1/4 a night, just to sleep, rarely 1/2 in divided doses - bedtime & around 3 am - & then never during the day. Hardly ever during the day.  Everyone I've talked to, including pharmacists, said I could switch right over to Klonopin without tapering.  But now I don't know.  Why else would I get no effect at all frmo the Klonopin?  I had taken my first Klonopin at 10:30 yesterday am.

Please help. I don't know what to do at this point.

Pam

I was never on Xanax.

For the Klono taper, I've been taking .250 every morning and if needed .250 later in the day. I have to be careful with Klono because it doesn't make me sleep......... in fact, it keeps me awake. I put my taper on hold because I was moving from CA to IN. I will probably start my taper again in the next few days.

Bad bad night.  I took the Klonopin at 9:30 & it was as if I hadn't taken it. Couldn't sleep, felt nauseated & cold, altho hands & feet hot & sweaty.  Not much anxiety tho.  This went on until 2:30. I just lay there.  On & off nauseated.  I had had brown rice, spinach & omelet for supper, with water.  Just before bedtime & after the Klonopin, I took my multivitamin & some plain yogurt.

Finally around 2:30, my stomach calmed down enough for me to turn over & finally doze  off to sleep. Woke just bow, almost 5 am, heart pounding, high anxiety.

Why didn't the Klonopin work?  Is this the Xanax needing to be tapered?  I never took more than 1/2 mg per day of it & that was rarely. For the past 6 months, it's been more like 1/4 a night, just to sleep, rarely 1/2 in divided doses - bedtime & around 3 am - & then never during the day. Hardly ever during the day.  Everyone I've talked to, including pharmacists, said I could switch right over to Klonopin without tapering.  But now I don't know.  Why else would I get no effect at all frmo the Klonopin?  I had taken my first Klonopin at 10:30 yesterday am.

Please help. I don't know what to do at this point.

Pam

I responded on your blog, Pam.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg200402#msg200402

It's best not to post the same thing in more than one place.  It makes it hard on us poor old moderators to keep things straight.  :D

I have just switched over to Klonopin (.125 mg) from Xanax.  I'll eventually be dropping the Klonopin too but not yet. I need to get my strength back & this horrible anxiety & sleeplessness addressed.  Anyway I have 2 questions as to the dosing schedule:

1.  Can I just use the Klonopin on an "as needed" basis for now?  My doctor prescribed it .125 in the am & at night, but I don't want to take it in the am at all if I can possibly avoid it.  I'd like to use it just for sleeping, if possible.

This is just my opinion pamn, so take it as such.  Xanax can be taken "as needed", but Klonopin really can't be.  If you throw random doses into your routine, you're just confusing your body.  The only way you will feel better is if you're getting a Klonopin dose equal to, or slightly above your daily Xanax dose.  I'd be sure I felt ok and was stable on the Klonopin before starting a taper.  Xanax is really handy because if stress kicks in, pop one in and shortly thereafter you feel better.  Klonopin does not work this way.  If you feel bad and take a Klonopin, you still will not feel anything different until it's had sufficient time to kick in.  I can remember watching my watch after taking Xanax, and knew I'd feel better within 1/2 hr.  Klonopin only helped me once it was in my system with regular dosing.

2.  I have read on the Forum about the necessity to keep to a strict schedule with Klonopin.  Taking it at the same times every day. Is this for tapering or would I have to do that if I were to take it twice daily?

Thanks

Pam

I was prescribed Klonopin twice daily, but when I looked around the forum for someone who'd tapered that way I couldn't find anyone.  I saw others taper Klono using it 3 times a day, so I divided up my doses and did my taper that way.  I also wound up getting rid of the midday dose (which was the 3rd one) first, as I'd keep forgetting to take it. 

Just get a good routine going with your meds on a schedule, keep a good positive attitude, throw fear out the window, accept you will feel yucky for awhile, and you will do fine.  :)      haha.... makes it sound easy doesn't it?  It isn't.  But you've found a great support group and lots of great buddies going through the same things!    :mybuddy:

Phyllis    :smitten:

Phyllis, thank you for answering!

I'm not going to use the Klonopin "as needed."  You all have conviinced me of the unwisdom of that.  So I guess I will just tough thiings out for awhile until the Klonopin stabilizes me.  I have an appt on Thursday with a psychiatrist who I have been told is an intelligent & kind man, so I am hopeful he & I can work together on this from now on.

I have two goals. To get rid of the anxiety in such a way that I don't have to worry about it in the future, & to get off the meds.

Oh, one question:  is the reason I can't sleep now due to the tolerance  problem with the Xanax & nothing to do with the Klonopin?  I have always thought that Klonopin would give a decent night's sleep but I've read here from some people that it actually keeps them awake.  So I'm wondering which it is with me that won't let me sleep - the Xanax tolerance problem or Klonopin?

Pam

Phyllis, thank you for answering!

I'm not going to use the Klonopin "as needed."   You all have conviinced me of the unwisdom of that.   So I guess I will just tough thiings out for awhile until the Klonopin stabilizes me.  I have an appt on Thursday with a psychiatrist who I have been told is an intelligent & kind man, so I am hopeful he & I can work together on this from now on.

I have two goals. To get rid of the anxiety in such a way that I don't have to worry about it in the future, & to get off the meds.

Oh, one question:  is the reason I can't sleep now due to the tolerance  problem with the Xanax & nothing to do with the Klonopin?  I have always thought that Klonopin would give a decent night's sleep but I've read here from some people that it actually keeps them awake.  So I'm wondering which it is with me that won't let me sleep - the Xanax tolerance problem or Klonopin?

Pam

This is a good question.  I'm sorry I can't answer it definitely    :(    :(    :(    I'm sure others here will be able to give me more info shortly.  I'm responding because it brings up another question of mine -- If someone has built up tolerance to benzos, and switches from one benzo to another, won't they just be shifting their drug of tolerance.  I don't know how to phrase this question.  I mean, if you are tolerant of xanax, won't you be tolerant of klonopin, half-lives aside?   

I mean, if you are tolerant of xanax, won't you be tolerant of klonopin, half-lives aside?

I would think that would be true, the klono would help with the interdosal w/d symptoms if those are present too. Someone else that knows more than me may have their own take on this though!  :thumbsup: 

Well, I hope someone reads this far to respond to it.  From what I have read on the forum in the past few days, it seems like there's quite a few who do make the switch from Xanax to Klonopin & you 'd think this would be of great interest to them & others.

Which brings up another newbie type question:  how much is there on a blog when it's not new anymore?

Pam

Oh, one question:  is the reason I can't sleep now due to the tolerance problem with the Xanax & nothing to do with the Klonopin?  I have always thought that Klonopin would give a decent night's sleep but I've read here from some people that it actually keeps them awake.  So I'm wondering which it is with me that won't let me sleep - the Xanax tolerance problem or Klonopin?

Pam

Hi Pam,

In my opinion a benzo is a benzo, so since we've ascertained you are probably in tolerance to the Xanax, the Klonopin will not be a magical cure all.  It was my understanding that you decided to switch to the Klonopin for the purposes of tapering.  That said, you're not going to feel better on the Klonopin since you're in tolerance to benzo's.

Your job now is to stabilize, this doesn't mean you're going to feel great.  It just means that you need to feel some level of comfort.  Since you made the switch to Klonopin so recently you need to give your body time to adjust.  When you feel ready it will be time to start your taper. 

You won't feel good on the Klonopin at the dose you're taking, it is just for becoming stable from the switch from the Xanax.  You're still going to experience anxiety because it's being caused by your tolerance to benzo's.

You're kind of between a rock and a hard place.  The benzo is creating the anxiety you're feeling, it's also responsible for your sleeplessness.  The only way to get rid of it is to taper off of it.  Not the best place to be, but you're so far ahead of the game by realizing you need to take action.  I wasn't as well informed as you are and I suffered as a result.

Pam :smitten: