****Another Success Story that healing really does happen!!****

[Al...]

I'm writing my success story not for me but for everyone on BB who is still suffering.  My heart goes out to every one on this site. I know that so many people read the success stories for a glimpse of hope or a ray of light. I hope that my success story will convey to you that healing really does happen and you will heal too. I am a cancer survivor and now I can proudly say that I have healed from a Benzo.

I went off Valium on December 31, 2014 not knowing I had to taper off of it, not knowing Valium was a Benzo and definitely not knowing what this poison truly does to our brain. I went into acute withdrawal 23 days later while shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond. As I write this I am still wondering how I managed to drive home. My acute withdrawal lasted for 5 days (only 3 hours per day) and it wasn't until the beginning of February that I found BB and I then realized I should never have c/t'd. I then decided to call 3 PDOC'S in my area hoping to reinstate for a proper taper however all three doctors felt since I was already off Valium for one month that they would have to increase my dosage from 5 mg to 10 mg and I could possibly have kindling. Based on the information that I was given I decided to ride out the storm.  Right after acute w/d I had a two week window and that is when I knew that I was going to heal. I have always been a very positive person and even when I had a wave I accepted it and I told myself this is part of healing and this too shall pass. When I was in a wave I always kept moving and I distracted myself by keeping busy. Despite having blurred vision, intense anxiety, fearful of walking into a supermarket or fearful of the cashier I forced myself to do this. I told myself this is the Benzo poison putting fear in my mind and I am definitely not a fearful person. 

I had the same side effects that most people have however my w/d symptoms were all manageable and they never lasted all day. I have always been in excellent health, I never abused any drugs and I never smoked pot or ciggies. I have been exercising 7 days a week for the past 23 years, and the last couple of years I have been on a low fat, no carb, no sugar diet. Eating healthy and exercise has always been a huge part of my life and I know that exercising while I was in recovery helped expedite my healing. I am aware that so many people can not exercise while in recovery and please know that I feel for you.

While I was on BB I met a lovely woman who resides in Texas. We immediately bonded and when she jumped she decided that she no longer wanted to log onto BB daily. We exchanged emails and corresponded every day. Her personality is very similar to mine (outgoing, upbeat and positive) and we became each other's BB. Whenever we had a wave we managed to laugh about it as opposed to worry and ponder about it. I now have a friend for life and I am so lucky to have met her on BB. I suggest that everyone try to find one person on BB who they can bond with and support each other while you heal.

Since coming off a Benzo the world now seems bigger, the colors seem more vivid and brighter and my memory is as sharp as it used to be before ever taking a Benzo, in summation life is beautiful again. Since going through Benzo recovery and experiencing it first hand I plan to help others who are still suffering.

Please see the list of things that I did during my recovery. These things helped me, however they might not help you since we are all so genetically different and we have different physiology. However I still wanted to share them with you.

1. I had one cup of coffee in the AM daily.

2. I ate a brand of yogurt daily that contains a strain that could up-regulate GABA receptors in mice.

3. I ate VERY healthy during my recovery and I ate A LOT of brain food.

4. I exercised every day during recovery for 2 1/2 hours a day (and I lifted weights daily and started body building).

5. During the first three months I did NOT take any vitamins. In the 4th month I started to take Vitamin D drops (I was low in Vitamin D since I never go in the sun) with 100 mg of Magnesium Glycinate, Omega 3 Fish Oil by Nordic Naturals twice a day (which truly abated my cog fog).

6. I had no alcohol until I was 6 months off.  When I had my first glass of wine I only took 3 slow sips on a full stomach. My PDOC told me when I introduce alcohol to take baby sips only and to gradually increase the amount of sips very slowly. There is a lot of controversy about this however I decided to listen to the advice of my PDOC.

7. I went to bed every night at the same time to retrain my brain how to sleep without having to be dependent upon taking a Valium at 3:00 AM if I could not fall back to sleep.

8. When I was having anxiety I listened to Meditation Oasis and my anxiety always abated.

9. I stayed away from reading anything scary or negative on BB.

10. I read the book "Spark" by Dr. John Ratey. We exchanged emails and he advised me all about the benefits of exercise, GABA receptors and healing. I highly recommend that everyone reads this book. It is a life changer.

11. I always remained POSITIVE and UPBEAT every day while in recovery. A positive mind is much better than a negative mind which will be more prudent and conducive for healing.

If I had a magic wand and I could make everyone on BB heal right now I would wave that magic wand. I want everyone who reads my success story to know that healing really does happen. If I could heal from a c/t you will heal too. Time is what heals us however I do believe there are some things that you can do to help your brain while we recover. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me or PM me.

I'm wishing everyone on BB a speedy recovery. I want to thank all of the moderators who always answered my questions promptly. The meaning of life is to live it and I know that everyone on BB will reach this milestone in time. Healing is like climbing a staircase. We start off on the first step and we desperately want to climb the staircase however we might not be able to do it today. Some days we can climb to the third step and then we might fall back a step or two. However in time we can climb the staircase and we can finally make it to the top of the staircase without falling down. After we reach the top of the staircase we turn back, we smile as we look at the staircase and we now know that we can now achieve anything in life!!

Best wishes to all.

Always Frantastic

• Like 1

Wonderful story of your success, Fran!

Thank you for leaving this for those who follow.

Enjoy the rest of your benzo free life!

Challis  :highfive:

It is always great to read a success story like yours. I am so happy for you. Your story will be a inspiration to others!

What a great post! Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your story of healing, it will provide hope for those who are still on the path to wellness.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Congratulations!

So happy for you to have arrived to see this day that you have looked forward to and fought so hard for.

Well done, enjoy your beautiful life. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this awesome success story.  :thumbsup:

You are my inspiration for forcing myself to take long walks.

Some days I can actually walk normally without forcing my legs to relax.

Dear Fran,

Thank you for this beautifully written happy story! I appreciate your list of success tips. You were kind to reach out to me recently with supportive suggestions...that meant so much. I have upped my exercise intensity based on our correspondence. I am also reading Spark. Great information.

I am glad you found a buddy to walk with you. This site has been invaluable for many of us. I am grateful.

Best to you as you continue to live your well deserved life. Congratulations!

Warmly,

Carita :smitten:

I want to thank everyone for all of your warm comments. It means a lot to me and it's only my pleasure to help everyone if I can.

In the first three months after stopping a benzo my waves always started daily at 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM (like clock work) and I thought it was odd that it always started the same time. What I found out after emailing Dr. Ratey and reading his book "Spark" is the reason for this was while I was exercising from 8:45 AM-10:45 AM my brain was making and releasing BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) which Dr. Ratey considers to be a fertilizer for the brain. This chemical enhances and regrows GABAA receptors among other important functions in the brain.  20 to 25  minutes after I stopped exercising I would feel my wave start again. At 1:30 PM while still in a wave I drove to my gym and I lifted weights for 20 minutes. Five minutes into lifting weights I could feel the wave abate, and this happened every day. I personally think this is truly amazing and then I realized that exercise definitely enhances healing. This was a no brainer.

I know that a lot of people can not exercise while in recovery, however it's so important to keep moving (for the brain) as opposed to just sitting still. Even if you one can not exercise they should try to lift 2-3 pd weights while sitting on a couch or walking around the house holding weights. Dr. Ratey mentions this in his book.

I have been exercising daily while I was taking this poison and there is NO question that it down regulated my GabaA receptor however, perhaps I did not have as much damage since I was working out every day and making BDNF while taking a benzo. There hasn't been a study concluded about the ramifications of working out every day and taking a benzo. The brain is truly so fascinating and because the brain is plastic by exercising and creating BDNF it will return to homeostasis faster.

I hope that everyone reads the book Spark.

Congratulation Fran,

So glad you got home safely from Bed Bath, the thought of what

could have happened makes me shudder....

All the best to your healthy and very happy future...well done. :smitten:

Thank you so much for writing this wonderful success story, and offering great ideas to help healing! I completely agree about the importance of exercise during this. It cannot be overstated. Being consistent in exercising and patient in the healing process is difficult, especially when you are tired and feel like garbage a lot, but it is a must! Thanks again for this inspirational post of fighting and winning against BOTH cancer and benzos. Truly amazing! God bless!

This is a great story- congratulations on your recovery. I am loving running right now, and if it helps with withdrawal so much the better!

Fran (aka, Energizer Bunny)

Thank you for sharing your story. You are an inspiration to me, and I am so grateful to you. You also helped motivate me into moving, and that has helped me to turn a corner. 

Great story, great advice.  :hug:

I'm writing my success story not for me but for everyone on BB who is still suffering.  My heart goes out to every one on this site. I know that so many people read the success stories for a glimpse of hope or a ray of light. I hope that my success story will convey to you that healing really does happen and you will heal too. I am a cancer survivor and now I can proudly say that I have healed from a Benzo.

I went off Valium on December 31, 2014 not knowing I had to taper off of it, not knowing Valium was a Benzo and definitely not knowing what this poison truly does to our brain. I went into acute withdrawal 23 days later while shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond. As I write this I am still wondering how I managed to drive home. My acute withdrawal lasted for 5 days (only 3 hours per day) and it wasn't until the beginning of February that I found BB and I then realized I should never have c/t'd. I then decided to call 3 PDOC'S in my area hoping to reinstate for a proper taper however all three doctors felt since I was already off Valium for one month that they would have to increase my dosage from 5 mg to 10 mg and I could possibly have kindling. Based on the information that I was given I decided to ride out the storm.  Right after acute w/d I had a two week window and that is when I knew that I was going to heal. I have always been a very positive person and even when I had a wave I accepted it and I told myself this is part of healing and this too shall pass. When I was in a wave I always kept moving and I distracted myself by keeping busy. Despite having blurred vision, intense anxiety, fearful of walking into a supermarket or fearful of the cashier I forced myself to do this. I told myself this is the Benzo poison putting fear in my mind and I am definitely not a fearful person. 

I had the same side effects that most people have however my w/d symptoms were all manageable and they never lasted all day. I have always been in excellent health, I never abused any drugs and I never smoked pot or ciggies. I have been exercising 7 days a week for the past 23 years, and the last couple of years I have been on a low fat, no carb, no sugar diet. Eating healthy and exercise has always been a huge part of my life and I know that exercising while I was in recovery helped expedite my healing. I am aware that so many people can not exercise while in recovery and please know that I feel for you.

While I was on BB I met a lovely woman who resides in Texas. We immediately bonded and when she jumped she decided that she no longer wanted to log onto BB daily. We exchanged emails and corresponded every day. Her personality is very similar to mine (outgoing, upbeat and positive) and we became each other's BB. Whenever we had a wave we managed to laugh about it as opposed to worry and ponder about it. I now have a friend for life and I am so lucky to have met her on BB. I suggest that everyone try to find one person on BB who they can bond with and support each other while you heal.

Since coming off a Benzo the world now seems bigger, the colors seem more vivid and brighter and my memory is as sharp as it used to be before ever taking a Benzo, in summation life is beautiful again. Since going through Benzo recovery and experiencing it first hand I plan to help others who are still suffering.

Please see the list of things that I did during my recovery. These things helped me, however they might not help you since we are all so genetically different and we have different physiology. However I still wanted to share them with you.

1. I had one cup of coffee in the AM daily.

2. I ate a brand of yogurt daily that contains a strain that could up-regulate GABA receptors in mice.

3. I ate VERY healthy during my recovery and I ate A LOT of brain food.

4. I exercised every day during recovery for 2 1/2 hours a day (and I lifted weights daily and started body building).

5. During the first three months I did NOT take any vitamins. In the 4th month I started to take Vitamin D drops (I was low in Vitamin D since I never go in the sun) with 100 mg of Magnesium Glycinate, Omega 3 Fish Oil by Nordic Naturals twice a day (which truly abated my cog fog).

6. I had no alcohol until I was 6 months off.  When I had my first glass of wine I only took 3 slow sips on a full stomach. My PDOC told me when I introduce alcohol to take baby sips only and to gradually increase the amount of sips very slowly. There is a lot of controversy about this however I decided to listen to the advice of my PDOC.

7. I went to bed every night at the same time to retrain my brain how to sleep without having to be dependent upon taking a Valium at 3:00 AM if I could not fall back to sleep.

8. When I was having anxiety I listened to Meditation Oasis and my anxiety always abated.

9. I stayed away from reading anything scary or negative on BB.

10. I read the book "Spark" by Dr. John Ratey. We exchanged emails and he advised me all about the benefits of exercise, GABA receptors and healing. I highly recommend that everyone reads this book. It is a life changer.

11. I always remained POSITIVE and UPBEAT every day while in recovery. A positive mind is much better than a negative mind which will be more prudent and conducive for healing.

If I had a magic wand and I could make everyone on BB heal right now I would wave that magic wand. I want everyone who reads my success story to know that healing really does happen. If I could heal from a c/t you will heal too. Time is what heals us however I do believe there are some things that you can do to help your brain while we recover. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me or PM me.

I'm wishing everyone on BB a speedy recovery. I want to thank all of the moderators who always answered my questions promptly. The meaning of life is to live it and I know that everyone on BB will reach this milestone in time. Healing is like climbing a staircase. We start off on the first step and we desperately want to climb the staircase however we might not be able to do it today. Some days we can climb to the third step and then we might fall back a step or two. However in time we can climb the staircase and we can finally make it to the top of the staircase without falling down. After we reach the top of the staircase we turn back, we smile as we look at the staircase and we now know that we can now achieve anything in life!!

Best wishes to all.

Always Frantastic

I so needed to hear this!!!! Thank you! I love this the most, " in summation life is beautiful again. ."

:smitten:

Hi Fran and Congratulations :hug:

This is a wonderfully written success story, its inspirational and will give hope to those who read it.

Thank you for taking the time to help those who follow in your footsteps

I wish you all the best things life has to offer

Magrita :smitten:

Thank you again to everyone who commented today:)

I received several PM's with questions relating to sleep. I thought it would be easier if I just shared my sleep experience with everyone.

I was always able to fall a sleep however I always woke up at 3:00 AM to use the bathroom and I could not fall back to sleep (that's what got me into trouble with a Benzo). Almost one month after c/t I was waking up every two hours during the night since my brain was in a state of over excite-ability. I met with a wonderful PDOC who taught me how to learn to sleep on my own without taking any drugs. My PDOC suggested that I download a meditation called "Relax Into Sleep Guided Meditation" by Meditation Oasis. If you have an iPhone you may download this app for free under Podcast. I used this meditation to help me fall back to sleep and it was a true life saver. Within 8 weeks of stopping a benzo I started to sleep 4 and 5 hours straight, which was a wonderful sign that healing was taking place. By 3 months out I was sleeping 7 hours a night. I was still waking up just once to go to the bathroom however instead of popping a Valium at 3:00 AM I listened to my sleep meditation and I was always lulled back to sleep. My PDOC suggested the following sleep tips:

1. You MUST go to sleep every night at the same time.

2. Log off of all electronics 90 minutes before bed time.

3. If you wake up during the night you may NOT put on any electronics. You may put on the iPhone to listen to the sleep meditation however you must dim the brightness button before bedtime.

4. Sleep with black out shades.

5. Sleep if earplugs if you are a light sleeper and your partner/dog snores.

6. No exercise after 6:00 PM,

7. No caffeine after 2:00 PM.

8. Absolutely no naps allowed.

9. You must learn how to associate sleep as a positive experience.

10. If you can not fall back to sleep after laying in bed for one hour you may get up and go into another room and do something very boring (but no electronics).

11. No drinking after 8:00 PM.

I am now sleeping 8 hours per night. Most nights I sleep straight through the night until 5:00 AM (bathroom pit stop) however I can fall back to sleep ASAP. This is the first time in 4 years that I am getting solid deep sleep without being dependent upon a Valium.  I feel wonderful, rested and I have TONS of positive energy.

Thank you fran...So excited to see your story and claim that success! I agree, exercise changed everything for me. I commit to it everyday!

Hugs GF  :smitten:

Lysa

Thank you again to everyone who commented today:)

I received several PM's with questions relating to sleep. I thought it would be easier if I just shared my sleep experience with everyone.

I was always able to fall a sleep however I always woke up at 3:00 AM to use the bathroom and I could not fall back to sleep (that's what got me into trouble with a Benzo). Almost one month after c/t I was waking up every two hours during the night since my brain was in a state of over excite-ability. I met with a wonderful PDOC who taught me how to learn to sleep on my own without taking any drugs. My PDOC suggested that I download a meditation called "Relax Into Sleep Guided Meditation" by Meditation Oasis. If you have an iPhone you may download this app for free under Podcast. I used this meditation to help me fall back to sleep and it was a true life saver. Within 8 weeks of stopping a benzo I started to sleep 4 and 5 hours straight, which was a wonderful sign that healing was taking place. By 3 months out I was sleeping 7 hours a night. I was still waking up just once to go to the bathroom however instead of popping a Valium at 3:00 AM I listened to my sleep meditation and I was always lulled back to sleep. My PDOC suggested the following sleep tips:

1. You MUST go to sleep every night at the same time.

2. Log off of all electronics 90 minutes before bed time.

3. If you wake up during the night you may NOT put on any electronics. You may put on the iPhone to listen to the sleep meditation however you must dim the brightness button before bedtime.

4. Sleep with black out shades.

5. Sleep if earplugs if you are a light sleeper and your partner/dog snores.

6. No exercise after 6:00 PM,

7. No caffeine after 2:00 PM.

8. Absolutely no naps allowed.

9. You must learn how to associate sleep as a positive experience.

10. If you can not fall back to sleep after laying in bed for one hour you may get up and go into another room and do something very boring (but no electronics).

11. No drinking after 8:00 PM.

I am now sleeping 8 hours per night. Most nights I sleep straight through the night until 5:00 AM (bathroom pit stop) however I can fall back to sleep ASAP. This is the first time in 4 years that I am getting solid deep sleep without being dependent upon a Valium.  I feel wonderful, rested and I have TONS of positive energy.

So wonderful...your walk thru this really is an example of what the body is capable of when we give it all the right things. So encouraging and I am doing the same!  :thumbsup:

Hi Always,

First of all, Congratulations!

Your acute withdrawal after 20 + days.. Was it so bad that you wanted to reach for a pill?  Or was it tolerable?

Thanks

Matt