Request for math calculation review for compounded Klonopin

[Kl...]

Could I ask for some assistance in reviewing my math calculations for the purpose of making a Klonopin suspension using Ora-Plus?

Here is what I have so far:

10 mg of Klonopin in 100 ml of Ora-Plus = 0.1 mg/ml

My current dose is 0.173 mg of Klonopin.

Am I correct that this would be 1.73 ml of compounded solution?

Thank you very much.

Yes, that is correct.

Your liquid is a bit concentrated for use with a 1ml syringe.  Each 1ml tick on the barrel will be .001mg K so dosing errors of that size will be almost unavoidable.  Just saying, FYI.

SG,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Before seeing your response, I prepared a less concentrated suspension - 5 mg of Klonopin in 100 ml's suspending agent. Current dose: 0.173 mg = 3.46 ml's.  Could you double check my calculations?

The above is an "emergency" preparation as I started going into severe withdrawal as of one week ago and am trying to rule out the possibility that my water titration is not helping matters. I am holding steady to see if my symptoms improve and/or contemplating a cross to Valium. If you have any suggestions on how to deal with a difficult taper or can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you so much.

Have you seen the microtaper support thread?  A good resource.

5mg/100ml is still quite concentrated.  I like to see people down around at least 1mg/100ml, no higher than 2mg/100ml to keep dose errors from being a problem.

What put you into severe symptoms?  What is your history?  I remember you from a while back.

Hi SG,

History:  K since 2000.  Rapid taper in 2012, reinstatement at 3 to 4 months off.  New taper Dec. 2013 - water titration began at 0.4 ml reduction for 2 months, then gradually down to 0.1 ml per day.  Last 5 months, I have slowed down to 1 ml reduction every 5 to 7 days. 

The most likely suspect for the very recent severe withdrawal was a stressful 3-4 weeks (now resolved) and way too much physical activity.  My symptoms are that I am waking up in withdrawal (feels just like acute) anywhere from 2AM to 7AM.  I do feel better during the day except for catastrophic thoughts that revolve around a possible "failed taper" and what that might mean. 

SG,

The concentration of my water titration was 1 mg in 100 ml's.  I have gone from 2 mg of K down to 0.52 mg and dose 3 times per day.

So it sounds like from December to recently the taper went pretty well?  And you got yourself from 2mg down to .52mg?  Good job.

And 1mg/100ml tapering at .4ml (.004mg) down to .1ml (.001mg) then 1ml per 5-7 days for five months which is .2-.14ml/day (.002-.0014mg/day).  So really you did a cut and hold for the last five months?

Actually beginning March of this year I have been cutting 1 ml every 5 to 7 days.  Any suggestions when hitting a rough patch? 

If symptoms are on the rise I'd say hold.  1ml every 5-7 days is .0014-.002mg per day on average, but you remove it all at once.  What you might do is begin by removing .0015mg (.15ml) each day instead of removing the 1ml all at once.  There is a big difference.  But first I'd insert a long hold until symptoms abate.

Hi SG,

I agree with you 110% on holding.  I am now on the compounded K that I prepared yesterday and have had a total of 3 doses on it. Still pretty sick.

Current issue:  I have about 7 days of compound remaining and the prep is very, very challenging in order to make it as well as humanly possible.

What are some options with respect to using compound (more concentrated batch - larger volume, but diluting it)?  I believe Ora-Plus can be diluted up to 50% and still retain it's suspending properties.  Is this true?  Can I use a different suspending medium such as almond oil? 

(Making a daily suspension of Ora-Plus 1mg/100ml's would be very expensive and time-consuming).

It seems that using alcohol as a diluent might be easier overall... Am I correct that I would place 1 mg K in 2 ml's of 80 proof (or 151 proof in 3 ml's of water) and add water to make a total of 100 ml's? 

Lastly, should I continue using the compound instead of switching over to the alcohol/water until I feel better. 

Thank you for reading and for any suggestions. 

I thought you began tapering with milk, but you mention water?  And now a switch to Ora Plus?  I don't understand why the liquid switches.

A lot of people are using alcohol/water and they seem to be getting good results.  If I were doing it I'd put 1mg K into 3ml of 150 proof and add 97ml lukewarm water.

Hi SG,

The switch from milk to water occurred about 18 months ago - lactose intolerant.  I recently changed from water to Ora-Plus in an attempt to get a more accurate suspension due to going into acute withdrawal last week.  I really appreciate your input and will give this some serious consideration.  Thank you again. 

• 6 months later...

Can I ask did the oraplus work better than the water?

OraPlus (and OraSweet) are viscous ("syrupy") that can hold the med in suspension.  Since water is not viscous, anything "suspended" in water will tend to sink to the bottom, or float to the top, depending on its specific gravity.

Short answer...water is not a very effective suspension agent.