Anyone withdrawing from Trazodone?

[e3...]

[e3...]

Anyone have difficulty withdrawing from Trazodone?

My Pdoc abruptly discontinued my 3 times daily dose, from 50 mg to zero.  All at once.  Effective today.

I was climbing the walls shortly after the first missed dose this morning and had to reinstate.

Is this typical?

Any thoughts are appreciated...!

I'm about to drop from 100mg to 75mg tonight. I'll let you know if I notice anything after a couple of days.

In the past I've dropped from 100mg to 50mg with no noticeable symptoms, but after my benzo experience I've lost my nerve to make big cuts.

[e3...]

Thanks, gmot, I really appreciate it.

Are you self-tapering or were you advised to do so by your Doctor?

Just curious...

I'm just doing it myself. I only take it for sleep and I want to see if I can get by without it. I take way too many meds these days.

i tapered from 50 to 0 and had a horrible time. Almost equally horrible as benzo's.

I read something on wikipedia about it binding on benzodiazepinereceptor is that true?

[e3...]

Hi Corsair.

No wonder I had such a hard time with such a drastic cut.  I'm sorry you had such a difficult taper.

I hadn't read anywhere about Trazodone binding on bz receptors, but it wouldn't surprise me that it does.

Anyone?

I'm on trazodone. I was taking 150 mg at night, now I'm taking 100mg at night. Hoping I can cut down again but have to cut the luvox first.

Currently I take

Gabapentin 300mg

Trazadone 100mg

Luvox 150mg

Zyprexa (tapering right now ) 2.5 mg every other night till Thursday.

i tapered from 50 to 0 and had a horrible time. Almost equally horrible as benzo's.

I read something on wikipedia about it binding on benzodiazepinereceptor is that true?

I also read Wikipedia and could not find anything about that. Tho the article was long winded, so I may have just grazed through that part. But I truly don't believe that is does. My pdoc would never give me anything like a benzo cousin. I'm still on it and I am getting pretty good sleep (tho it varies from day to day) and I think I would get 0 sleep w/o it. Have yet to taper off it. I will wait until I am way out before I start that process. I don't want to go through two w/ds at the same time. I don't think there is a trazodone support site, so there can't be too many complainers.

Bets

[4f...]

Anyone have difficulty withdrawing from Trazodone?

My Pdoc abruptly discontinued my 3 times daily dose, from 50 mg to zero.  All at once.  Effective today.

I was climbing the walls shortly after the first missed dose this morning and had to reinstate.

Is this typical?

Any thoughts are appreciated...!

I weaned off 300mg trazodone, but I didn't do the cuts regularly, I did them every now and then, cos I wasn't bothered about getting off it quick, but I got a bit lazy at the end and jumped at 25mg.

I didn't suffer overly, but I did lose my temper a couple of times.

I'm sorry that your doctor cut your dose totally, but it's good that you reinstated.

If I were you, knowing what I know now, I would taper slow.

Traz doesn't dissolve in water, but you could put your 50mg pill in 50mls of water, leave it for a bit, and then take a small amount out  per day with an oral syringe, ensuring you shake the container and then plunge your syringe in straightaway.

You can get oral syringes easily off ebay.

Traz does not bind to benzo receptors. It is an sari, a bit like an ssri but not one

Hope this helps.

So I've reduced my Trazodone dosage from 100mg to 75mg. I don't notice a thing, including any change in my sleep.

In a couple of days I'll go down to 50mg and see what happens.

[e3...]

So I've reduced my Trazodone dosage from 100mg to 75mg. I don't notice a thing, including any change in my sleep.

In a couple of days I'll go down to 50mg and see what happens.

Thanks for the update - I'm glad the cut didn't affect you in general or your sleep.  That is good news!

I have tried to reduce from 50 mg three times per day to 50 mg two times per day, and am experiencing a lot of additional daytime anxiety.

I'm almost convinced this is more psychological than physiological.  It's hard to say with everything else I am prescribed.

My Pdoc reduced my Remeron dosing from 45 mg at bedtime to 30 mg.  I should have brought this up in my post but didn't want to make it more complicated than it already is.

I'll be glad when I can get off of EVERYthing I'm prescribed.  For now, I am going to have to take baby steps I suppose.

Thank, everyone, for your replies.  It really helps to get another perspective on this medication.

Texanmike,

I'm sorry your having such a hard time. I'm going to wean off trazodone as soon as I'm done with the zyprexa and luvox I'm taking. Zyprexa should be done in a few days I took my last dose last night.

Hope things get better for you soon, I hate to think ill be having to go through this soon as well.

So this is not a benzo then, correct? Or a benzo like cousin?

No, it's not. Not at all. But all ADs can come with their own problems. fwiw~I bet you can get the syringes for free just by asking your pharmacy. Mine gives them to me freely, anytime I ask. He also gave me a 100 ml cup for free.

Bets

I tapered off Trazadone fairly effortlessly and compared to benzo withdrawal, I'd honestly have to say I didn't really notice the withdrawal from it. Benzo and z-drug withdrawal have been far worse for me. It supposedly does not work on the same receptors that benzos work on. With that being said, any med shouldn't be stopped cold turkey after it has been taken on a consistent basis.

[e3...]

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

When I asked my Pdoc if it would be a good idea to taper and whether or not there would be discontinuation side effects, her answer was "absolutely not'.

Makes you wonder where you place your trust for your health and well being these days...  :tickedoff:

[4f...]

So this is not a benzo then, correct? Or a benzo like cousin?

No, it acts on the serotonin receptor, benzos act on the bzd gaba a receptor.

What source did you read that said it was related to benzos?

No source, I had read a post from someone awhile back saying it acted on the same receptors as a benzo, that's why I was wondering.

I saw it on the wikipedia page, there is a list with sites affected and you have to click it, because one says: bzd, I did not know what it was, and when I clicked it, it went to benzodiazepine site. Wikipedia is not the most thrustworthy source, so I'm not saying it is true. It's just something I read that made me worry

I heard the problem with reducing trazodone is that withdrawal and side effect symptoms are quite equal. So the side effects become worse and worse while tapering. I have been noticing improvement since the fifth day I quit the trazodone. So I'm hopeful

[e3...]

Corsair12,

How did you come off the Trazodone?  Did you taper?  If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

TexanMike

Corsair12,

How did you come off the Trazodone?  Did you taper?  If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

TexanMike

I cut them. Tried to go slow, but as I did not have a scale it wasn't really a stable taper. I was on 50 mgs. It took me 2 months of tapering. Went through hell, and the third day after jumping I actually flipped out. Then suddenly at day five it turned for the better. But the whole two months I was wondering if it was the right decision because I had a really really hard time. Now I'm very happy that I did go off the trazodone.

TexanMike,

We have a very similar story. I'm also on trazodone (150), remeron (30), and propranolol (20 x 1). I was sent home from detox with 7 medicines total. I just never took the other 3meds for some reason (cog fog?) I was on gabapentin but ct'd it after coming home from detox for 30days. I also was ct'd off clonazepam after being on it for 20yrs. I'm around 6mnths off now too. Just found our similarities funny. I'm not on here much but feel free to contact me if you want. Take care

[4f...]

I saw it on the wikipedia page, there is a list with sites affected and you have to click it, because one says: bzd, I did not know what it was, and when I clicked it, it went to benzodiazepine site. Wikipedia is not the most thrustworthy source, so I'm not saying it is true. It's just something I read that made me worry

I heard the problem with reducing trazodone is that withdrawal and side effect symptoms are quite equal. So the side effects become worse and worse while tapering. I have been noticing improvement since the fifth day I quit the trazodone. So I'm hopeful

Hi I checked wikipedia, and I see what you are referring to, there is a list and BDZ is on the list. Benzo receptors are BZD, I can assure you that trazodone does not bind to any BZD receptor sites.

When I came off it, I didn't feel any benzo wd like feelings

I'm still still at .75mg Traz, and the only thing I've noticed is that I'm not sleeping as well as I did on 1mg. As far as other wd sxs, I'm having none.

I'll probably go down to .5mg this weekend and see what happens.

[4f...]

I'm still still at .75mg Traz, and the only thing I've noticed is that I'm not sleeping as well as I did on 1mg. As far as other wd sxs, I'm having none.

I'll probably go down to .5mg this weekend and see what happens.

I jumped off at 25mgs

happy jumping.