Anxiety when talking in person to people

[Pa...]

Well this is a new and strange anxiety. When talking to people I start getting anxiety.  This is usually only when it is a stranger.  It feels like a panic attack and I am always afraid im going to start shaking and they will see it.  So I try to leave before that happens.  Ive always been really comfortable talking with people one on one.  Never was one for public speeches before the benzos.  Now I am getting that feeling that I use to get and have while giving speeches, but just when im out talking to people.

This is different from the phase of fear of everything that I had went through.  That is gone now.

Has anyone had this and if so when did it go away?

I want to do nursing, but I guess it is too soon.

[ae...]

One week after I c/t'd I taught a beginning astronomy class at a local community college.  It was really weird.  I felt terrible.  I was shaking and fidgety and way confused (and way sleepy).  I often lost track of what I was saying mid-sentence. 

I resolved not to call undo attention to myself.  I did not apologize for what was about to happen or for any 'benzo moments' that I had.  I tried to use short, simple sentences, and did my best to stand in one place.  I was most definitely shaking, but I doubt if anybody noticed.

This withdrawal makes many of us hyper-aware of our shortcomings.  The tendency is to then become paranoid or fearful or anxious.  I'm sure that I felt all of the above, but I did not act on those feelings.  I simply did what I was supposed to do to the best of my (limited) ability.  You may find that you can deal with people also if you simply stick to the job at hand (instead of succumbing to the worries/anxieties). 

You are soo right. Its just that it feels like forever just while im waiting for the person to respond...slow motion. What to do while talking to someone ..look behind them ?? I get so fidgety and feel like I have to move.

I will try to focus on somthng else.

Did you find that feeling went away?

[ae...]

Eye contact has always been a little bit difficult for me - I tended to lose my train of thought when I look into people's eyes.  When I was younger, I'd get completely tongue-tied if I tried to look at and talk to a pretty girl/woman (it definitely didn't help my dating life one bit).  It's gotten a little bit better as I've gotten older.  To some extent, it's something that I've practiced getting better at.

The withdrawal affects everything, and I'm sure there was some period in my withdrawal when I absolutely couldn't look into people's eyes and think at the same time.  But I was also working pretty hard at calming my mind during my withdrawal, and I think that discipline has helped me to be more comfortable being with people.  At least those 'flight' impulses (the need to move/fidget) now seem lessened.

• 2 weeks later...
Been there done that , from what I understand many disorders can cause anxiety when talking to others . When I was on the K I would get that way and now 6 months off I have to literally control My own nervous system or I can get that way now. its common dont worry about it. Concentrate on Your words when You chat and also on staying calm and speak slowly it will help.