with or without.....Anti-depressants debate.

[mu...]

Just a question which most of us want to know...well I do and would love to hear your views and experiences and timescale on theyre theraputic doses and types of anti depressants and if they benefit you or have made you feel worse....if so how long you have been taking them. Thanks if you take part this maybe help some people understand to go with or without. .....anti-depressants :)

I just started on a low dose of Zoloft (12.5mg). I already feel better, and it's only been a couple of days.

The strange thing is I tried Zoloft years ago, and gave it up after one day. Couldn't stand the side effects. I was probably started on a much higher dose back then.

I took Prozac in varying doses (40mg, 20mg, 10mg), pre benzos and it was really helping. Then dropped it while I was using benzos (I think that was a mistake). Now, being in withdrawal, I can't add it back as it agitates me to no end.

I have had bad experiences with trazadone in the past. I did like the night affect mirtazipine had but it had a terrible life and effect in the morning...im currently on the best anti depressant just now called venlafaxine im o  75mg twice a day. This is apparently working....I don't see or feel it but the people around me and my therapist suggest otherwise.  Itake tthey're word for it. They tell you to tell them your thoughts and you do...they're answer is thats perfectly normal......well its normal for them because they dont feel hiw I feel. They can only guess. Sometimes I hope they are right..right now as I type this im feeling terrible and a bit frightened what the day has in store. ..thing is iv got to make my own day...and right now a day feels like a week.  I dont know about the anti depressants because we put alot of trust in our health system and they kinda made me like this. I took some diazepam for a few weeks then next thing I know im in a hospital and being detoxed off 100mg per day I never was on that amount. Guidelines are no one should be given more than 30mg per day. So I was overdosee by nearly threee times the guidelines stated. And u have to paythe piper for theyre mistake and miscalculations.  Have a goid one buddies.

I'm starting an AD this week.  Fighting for my life so nothing to lose.  If it causes trouble I'll stop.

Good luck needstoheal...im on my fourth week with effexor (venlafaxine) 150mg. Still no improvement. ..well noticeable to me.  But my friend says theres a huge improvement. ..because uv been able to go out for ten minute walks I still don't go too far away from the house and im still off work due to agoraphobia and the social phobia related to w/d. What kinda A/D are you getting introduced..its a heluva road we're travelling down buddie. Kind off reminds me of starting a new job that you have no experience. The idea is to get through your shift without being spotted that you've no experience.  Except we're going back to the brain of a toddler trapped n a man/womans body. .does that make sense to you.  Chin up we are survivors. ... :-X

I started Elavil at a low dose for pain.  I hope it works and can replace Trazadone and eventually Gabapentin.  I can't handle the SSRIs or SNRIs...

My dose was increased to 300mg today I can't handle them either because I don't know what to look for in them....all I seem to get are sx and the unwittingly suggestion that these diminish. ...bollocks if you ask me. I was on trazadone a few yrs back and I hated them I was on 400 mg of the stuff and all I did wss think about suicide and had two attemptsccouldn't believe how long they kept me on them ...they insisted that they would work. ..I told them about the sx but they don't listen...I ended up on quietiapine....I can't remember the old me before painkillers all I know is I was an outgoing up for a laugh kinda guy...now im a shivering wreck scared of my own shadow and these doctors think this is normal.  I can't believe authorities knowingly allow people to live with such fear and anxiety. ..to the point thay it is crippling.  Hope you are ok it is three am in Britain and I can't sleep. Sweat is pouring out of me like someone has lay me an a bed of nails and gave me a glass of water.  :P

all I know is I was an outgoing up for a laugh kinda guy...now im a shivering wreck scared of my own shadow and these doctors think this is normal.

I was like you, too. I started benzos because of one too many bullies/abusive people at work. Every job I had, there was some sort of bully, and I never learned to cope. After 10 too many, I caved in  >:(

In the job where I started benzos, I was happier and laughing more than anyone else in the group. I got out more damaged than all of them. That's some karma.  :'(

Im 61 and was born with clinical depression, over the years my Docs have tried various antidepressants and I had a bad reaction right away so they never worked for Me. The only reason I ended up on K is for sleep. That was a big mistake however I was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I found natural ways to help with sleep although the K did Me no favors. Im just about 5 months off so called short term low dose YA RIGHT  and still having certain symptoms like insomnia and the worse is dementia.

Everyone is different and will react differently to medications however You asked about each one of us and I had a bad reaction. ITs up to You to decide , the way I look at it I would rather go DRUG free and try natural ways of helping depression their is NO cure from what I understand. Matter of fact I was told by a shrink that its all trial and error . I dont like being a guine pig.

Yup I am just coming to terms with that johnnyapple I guessed they would make me feel worse. ...but if I stop just now and give up im gonna end up eith A/D withdrawal symptoms as well and these pills im on are one of the harder ones to discontinue....im in deep shit ain't I? Oh well iv got to keep trying. ...yes I have faith in them they won't let me ho judt yet. .....maybe lol. Thanks again x