2015 Study: "Off-label use of medications for treatment of benzodiazepine use.."

[La...]

I'm not even sure what is meant by "benzodiazepine use disorder". For those of us who were prescribed the medication and took it as directed, I can only hope that this phrase does not represent our situation. It's unclear from the abstract. I'm glad they're looking at this issue, but using more drugs to try to recover from the last drug is not the way I, personally, would go. Others may be interested, however, so research in this field is a positive move. It does, once again, validate the fact that these drugs cause dependence and are problematic for many reasons.

"It works by decreasing the number of pain signals that are sent out by damaged nerves in the body."

I just wonder if the Pregabalin has a rebound effect that would, just like benzos, cause excruciating pain/nerve problems/anxiety once it wore off. It seems that its only use is to mask symptoms, relieving the pain temporarily, but it doesn't heal. At least that is my thought.

I'm not even sure what is meant by "benzodiazepine use disorder". For those of us who were prescribed the medication and took it as directed, I can only hope that this phrase does not represent our situation. It's unclear from the abstract. I'm glad they're looking at this issue, but using more drugs to try to recover from the last drug is not the way I, personally, would go. Others may be interested, however, so research in this field is a positive move. It does, once again, validate the fact that these drugs cause dependence and are problematic for many reasons.

It's a nice sanitized way of saying the medical community really F'd us up!

Benzodiazepine use disorder is terminology used in the newest version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

Diagnostic Criteria for Sedative,Hypnotic and Anxiolytic Use Disorder

The new diagnosis requires at least 2 of the following criteria. The disorder is mild if 2-3 criteria are met, moderate if 4-5      are present and severe with 6-7 or more.

Continuing to use a substance, in this case a barbiturate, benzodiazepine or other sedative-hypnotic, despite negative      personal consequences.

Repeated inability to carry out major functions at work, school or home on account of use.

Recurrent use in physically hazardous situations

Continued use despite recurrent or persistent social or interpersonal problems caused or made worse by use.

Tolerance, as manifested by needing a markedly increased dose to achieve intoxication or desired effect, or by markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount.

Withdrawal with the characteristic syndrome, or use of the drug to avoid withdrawal.

Using more of the drug or using for a longer period than intended.

Persistent desire to cut down use, or unsuccessful attempts to control use.

Spending a lot of time obtaining or using the substance or recovering from use.

Stopping or reducing important occupational, social or recreational activities due to use.

Craving or strong desire to use.

As many on this site discuss, there is little to no understanding in the medical, mental health and addiction communities that there is a debilitating syndrome of benzodiazepine withdrawal that can manifest when physical dependence without abuse occurs. In most cases of withdrawal syndromes including opiate and alcohol, other medications are used with fairly good success in alleviating some of the symptoms while those who are addicted work on recovering and avoiding relapse. I think it is important that people on this site understand what the medical and addiction communities understand and treat.  While there may be individual practitioners who understand that severe, long lasting symptoms can occur from physical dependence on drugs taken as prescribed, it seems to be the case that most do not accept this as the "norm." If we want to change this perception, we need to come forward to the providers in the various communities in greater numbers than we apparently have been.

For now, physical dependence is not seen as a major issue since it can be treated (according to the medical community) in many cases with other adjunct medications. " Addiction", " chemical dependency" and what is now called "use disorder" are the primary concerns in the medical and addiction communities. The focus of this medical research is on relieving the symptoms of withdrawal using adjunct medications. I don't know why ( maybe because I did not give them a chance) but I did not find the use of other medications helpful. Some people do, however and I personally believe the medical community is, for the most part, trying to help relieve suffering. This is a very complex problem and not likely to be solved completely by hoping the medical community will stop prescribing benzos- although some progress in decreasing prescriptions has been seen in the past few years.

Sincerely,

WW

wickedwitch, thank you so much for your comprehensive and informative response! Just what the doctor ordered!