More harm than good : conference in September 2015

[Mo...]

Excellent. Are these drugs more in the news now..? Or is it my faulty imagination (caused by benzos and ssris..)?

Thanks so much, Morreweg!! This will no doubt be a very excellent conference!! I'm feeling more uplifted for sure.

Wish I could be there. :laugh:

Thanks, Claudia.

me too. :laugh: the two of us would educate them , right ?

Iggy, Qui, Terry .... :thumbsup:

[23...]

They've assembled an impressive bunch of speakers.  The conference cost is low, but the price to get there from the US... 

It's not nearly as high as the personal price we've all paid for what we already know, but it's still costly. 

If one person could go from BB then report back.

I have registered.  :thumbsup:

Not optimitic I will be on my feet in time.  >:(

Only cost £28.  Plus getting there.  Where is it again?  Better go and look.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

They've assembled an impressive bunch of speakers.  The conference cost is low, but the price to get there from the US... 

It's not nearly as high as the personal price we've all paid for what we already know, but it's still costly.

I'm so cheesed off, if I could I would jump on a plane ...its 2 hours flight

from where I am. But do you think I can function at 32 months off

after a brutal cold turkey ?

No Mam, I can assure you not even King Kong could do it....

thats how bad this bloody poison is....Phew... :tickedoff:>:( >:(

I know, Claudia so so sorry but your time will come ....

There will be more conferences to attend ....

If it is live streamed ..... wow .........  (Beth said it would be)

And Beth and I may not actually get there ......

But hope we will.

Hugs

Fiona  :smitten:

This looks excellent! Thanks so much for posting it, Morreweg! I really hope that it's well-publicized and attended.

Clearly, this topic is garnering more attention, and it's heartening to see that such an impressive list of respected professionals is committed to speaking up about it. They lend validation and weight to the argument that many of us would like to put forward, i.e. THESE DRUGS DO HARM. We are living proof, although sadly, there may be others who are no longer here to tell the tale.

[23...]

Hi Lapis!  It's so good to see your name and little dog here :smitten:  We don't cross paths often enough! 

Morreweg, I hear you!  I've attended many medical conferences over the years, but now is not the time.  I'm too emotional, too labile, too much trouble with sleep, etc.  I know my limits.  Both of us might be fine if we went, but I'd hate to risk having symptoms triggered and being a distraction, or being a quivering mind/body not taking in the information at such an important event. 

At 6 months out I'm constantly astonished by the degree of damage benzodiazepines cause -- and it seems that my WD isn't even as bad as some others (I'm hoping that it'll stay that way!).  So yes, it's crucially important that conferences like this one occur to educate both medical professionals and the general public.  What benzos do to our brains and bodies is barbaric -- as unacceptable as lobotomies in the 1940 and '50s were..  Those of us who took benzos to calm PTSD (and even depression, anxiety, and headaches) may well have been victims of lobotomies 60 years ago. Thousands of "shell shocked" WWII vets did have their brains "fixed" with an ice pick...  So I guess we should feel grateful to have been born late enough that the insane psychiatric treatment of our time at least left us with a good chance at a full recovery. 

Yup, I'm angry. 

This looks excellent! Thanks so much for posting it, Morreweg! I really hope that it's well-publicized and attended.

Clearly, this topic is garnering more attention, and it's heartening to see that such an impressive list of respected professionals is committed to speaking up about it. They lend validation and weight to the argument that many of us would like to put forward, i.e. THESE DRUGS DO HA. We are living proof, although sadly, there RMmay be others who are no longer here to tell the tale.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Tybee. :thumbsup:

Hi All!

This conference is a few months away and if things are done well, there will be lead-up publicity in the UK papers, plus follow-up articles. The word needs to be spread widely.

Tybee, I think you're right on the mark. There have been -- and continue to be -- scary treatments used in the field of mental health. There's a saying..."The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I think it's particularly fitting here, in that the health professionals may believe they're helping, but the truth can be quite the opposite.

And yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we all heal well from our experiences. I'd like to see such things prevented since no one should have to endure what many here have endured. It's a waste of human potential.

[23...]

Hi All!

This conference is a few months away and if things are done well, there will be lead-up publicity in the UK papers, plus follow-up articles. The word needs to be spread widely.

Tybee, I think you're right on the mark. There have been -- and continue to be -- scary treatments used in the field of mental health. There's a saying..."The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I think it's particularly fitting here, in that the health professionals may believe they're helping, but the truth can be quite the opposite.

And yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we all heal well from our experiences. I'd like to see such things prevented since no one should have to endure what many here have endured. It's a waste of human potential.

Amen to that! 

Something that we (humans) all need to come to terms with is that there is no good method of surgically or pharmacologically removing anxiety, depression, or even psychosis from our lives, and to some degree, that's OK.  We're too quick to seek immediate fixes for things that are just part of the human condition.  I do believe that mindfulness meditation, CBT, and a few other types of "work" can help many of us to move through troubling times, but they all involve an ability and a willingness to help ourselves -- and they're not as immediate as swallowing a pill.

I've learned so much on this journey!  And met so many good people on the same path  :)   

Well said, Tybee. Exactly! I agree. Now, if CBT and supportive counselling were as available and affordable as these little pills that are so easily dispensed, then it would make things much better for all. I believe that CBT provides an excellent set of skills and tools that one can use throughout life.

[23...]

Again, you're right.  Poor access to non-drug treatments is what holds most of us back from getting help that could truly benefit us, and with no side effects.  If I was younger, I'd become trained in CBT.  Well -- after I was well healed myself.  There's nothing worse than a therapist who goes into it to figure themselves out, then never quite does. ::) 

For what it's worth, I believe that we need more counselors who are well trained in CBT, mindfulness, and trauma work, and that all health care policies should pay for 6 -12 months of treatment for those who are active participants making good progress.   

There was recently a series on mental health in one of our national newspapers here in Canada (The Globe and Mail), and one of the articles looked at this particular issue. Access to mental health option seems to be a major issue everywhere, and while pills are easy and cheap, there are numerous drawbacks (as we know too well!). It seems that there's more awareness now -- or maybe we BBers are more aware of such things. But with conferences like the one in the UK, plus major newspaper series, plus more radio and TV reporting of mental health issues, we are hopefully getting closer to a wider range of options for those who need support and help at difficult times of life. It needs to happen soon.

Really soon!