a 7 year old little boy put on benzos

[he...]

Wow. That's just criminal. And to think out Fed gov. still refuses to make cannabis legal... But a child taking 22 pills a day? Well, I'm sure that's just fine and dandy.. :tickedoff:

The cannabinoids have been doing wonders for children with seizures. I hope using them becomes mainstream very,very soon. Dr. Sanjay Gupta did a really excellent documentary on this. The unfortunate part is that families cannot take marijuana outside a legalized state. Families with epileptic children have to uproot and move in order to be close to the cannabinoids to give their children.

Any evidence that cannabis oil helps benzo withdrawal? (now known as Ashton's Syndrome)

Since benzos are used to prevent seizures maybe there is a connection?

Any evidence that cannabis oil helps benzo withdrawal? (now know as Ashton's Syndrome)

Since benzos are used to prevent seizures maybe their is a connection?

I reckon by the time a Doctor uses the term Ashton syndrome

I'll be sitting in my coffin suffering from departure syndrome. :P

I've heard a small amount of anecdotal evidence that it helps, and some that it hurts. But not much yet. The amount of info will build soon. I might try it this summer. Will be in a medical marijuana state.

Do we have some kind of "formal" diagnostic code here yet?

Or is this some kind of wishful thinking?

I suppose that if enough people start using this term (and I mean in the thousands and doctors also), it could become part of the language we use to describe benzo withdrawl syndrome.

It's interesting that we do have a term for people getting sick after eating Chinese food. It's called "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" and attributed to the MSG in the food. No formal diagnosis code (that I know of), but I'm not a doctor so im not sure.

Well, maybe the "best" way to tell if this BWS is formally called Ashton syndrome is when it shows up as that on Wikipedia. But how many doctors read Wikipedia anyway?

And more on topic here:

My grandson is a highly functioning aspergers person. But he does have some difficulties with social interaction, and occasional outbursts which I often attribute to his "evil step mom."

So this kid was put on riserperdal and straterra when he was in elementary school. Then in the spring of 2010, his mother (my daughter) had her own crisis, and the kids went to live with their dad. And of course, this was a dramatic change for the 4 kids, and really rough for him.

But the good old step mom (who loves to send everyone but herself for therapy) sent him for a ton of it. And by the time he was 14, he was on 15 psych meds. I didn't realize this at the time, but those good old psychiatrists just kept on adding this crap to his regimen.

And then he was going for visiting weekends with his mom, and she explained how he went there on 2 meds, and now when he came to visit, he was on 15.

And apparently these "know it alls," the psychiatrists also began to wonder what to do. They tried switching him around on all kinds of other meds, but it just got worse. Finally, they all decided that he needed to go off all of them and essentionally "start over."

So he had to go to the state hospital. And I was concerned they'd do a detox, but they actually managed to taper this kid off everyone of those meds, one at a time. It took time, but he's doing fine.

I have a whole new respect for the psychiatrists at this state hospital. But I also have true skepticism of the ability of the rest of the ones that treated him before that. You know, the ones that run these inpatient and outpatient treatment programs. The ones we all have seen.

Wow - criminal. The original shrinks that ramped him up to 15 meds should be stripped of their licenses, fined and/or imprisoned. How can any rational person think that 15 meds make sense? Is it their egos that lead them to believe that they have a clue about the effects of 15 meds? Not only criminal but insane - the doctors that is.

Hi All,

Well, I'm back.  It's been a rough road, but I'm getting better!  More on that later.  I asked my husband and son if they were ok with me rejoining the buddies. Both felt it was time, especially after they viewed this very disturbing video.

I can't shrink away anymore.

And it does get better my friends...much, much better!

:smitten:

Hi All,

Well, I'm back.  It's been a rough road, but I'm getting better!  More on that later.  I asked my husband and son if they were ok with me rejoining the buddies. Both felt it was time, especially after they viewed this very disturbing video.

Good to see you again babyrex, :smitten: I can hear you are feeling better....

what a tough journey it is.....poor kids, makes me so sad and angry.

Hi All,

Thank you, Morreweg!  Yes, frankly, the distribution of benzodiazepines to minor children and the elderly should be considered as criminal behavior, but hey, what the heck do I know?  Opinions anyone?

Hi All,

Thank you, Morreweg!  Yes, frankly, the distribution of benzodiazepines to minor children and the elderly should be considered as criminal behavior, but hey, what the heck do I know?  Opinions anyone?

Robert Whitaker's opinion....

Yes,

All this BS is criminal, but not against the law. How's that for making sense of this?

I think it will take a HUGE sea change, paradigm shift, or cultural shift for any of this to change.

Pills are "the way to go" in doctors and people's minds.

And I've been a counseling therapist for years. I have seen numerous children and teenagers on a bunch of psych meds. For the parents and doctors, it's often an issue of "maintaining control" over the child who actually is acting out for very good reasons.

Yes,

All this BS is criminal, but not against the law. How's that for making sense of this?

I think it will take a HUGE sea change, paradigm shift, or cultural shift for any of this to change.

Pills are "the way to go" in doctors and people's minds.

And I've been a counseling therapist for years. I have seen numerous children and teenagers on a bunch of psych meds. For the parents and doctors, it's often an issue of "maintaining control" over the child who actually is acting out for very good reasons.

Hi Intend,

That's a scary thought.  Controlling behavior through psych meddling (meds) that more often than not make a child's behavior worse.  Hopefully this will change soon.  And good to see around!

Hi to you babyrex!

I'm glad to see you too, and so glad you're feeling better.

You made a very good observation there about giving kids these psych meds to control their behavior.

As I said, I've seen numerous ones on a "boatload" of them, and then I've watched the same kid get totally irrational and out of control for no discernible reason.

I generally conclude that a kid is a kid, and they do act like kids no matter how many drugs they take. In fact, some act worse because of the drugs and drug interactions.