Always hungry/poor blood sugar control on Vegan diet.

[dp...]

I realize I'm withdrawing from Valium right now and am nearing the 6mg mark... and that I'm also on HC... but what's the deal with the serious lack of blood Sugar stability right now?

I'm eating between 2500-3000 kcal of legumes, grains, raw veggies, Nut. Yeast, Avocados, healthy oils, and occasional nut butters. Also supplementing with Psyllium.

Have been cutting steady from my Valium at about a 10%/month pace for the past year... and have cut from 20mg HC to 16.25mg HC since March 10th.

If I do any kind of physical activity, my blood Sugar plummets... IE: played basketball for the past few days and when I got back my sugar was down to 66. Don't do any aerobic exercise today and it's 93 at the same time... 6-7pm.

Colon has been cleansed. Liver has been cleansed. Nothing else I can think of other than drugs and/or severe adrenal fatigue... either that or I need to start eating protein from meat.

Thanks.

I realize I'm withdrawing from Valium right now and am nearing the 6mg mark... and that I'm also on HC... but what's the deal with the serious lack of blood Sugar stability right now?

I'm eating between 2500-3000 kcal of legumes, grains, raw veggies, Nut. Yeast, Avocados, healthy oils, and occasional nut butters. Also supplementing with Psyllium.

Have been cutting steady from my Valium at about a 10%/month pace for the past year... and have cut from 20mg HC to 16.25mg HC since March 10th.

If I do any kind of physical activity, my blood Sugar plummets... IE: played basketball for the past few days and when I got back my sugar was down to 66. Don't do any aerobic exercise today and it's 93 at the same time... 6-7pm.

Colon has been cleansed. Liver has been cleansed. Nothing else I can think of other than drugs and/or severe adrenal fatigue... either that or I need to start eating protein from meat.

Thanks.

I had to go back to eating animal protein from a vegan diet, I was getting more and more ill, and I can't remember her name right now Dan but a world famous Vegan Doctor who was at the fore front of the vegan diet also had to go back to eating meat. Our brains are made of Cholesterol and a lot of our body also relies on this and its animals we get what we need from. And before the modern advent of 'Veganism'' no human hunter gatherer was ever vegan, that say's it all to me :D Two good vids below Dan :thumbsup:

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Heart of the Matter Part 1 Dietary Villains

from Michael Eades 1 year ago

Australian TV show debunks the cholesterol-is-bad theory.

https://vimeo.com/77730824

Heart of the Matter Part 2 Cholesterol Drug War https://vimeo.com/78259209

• 4 weeks later...

Hi dpier,

I would decrease or eliminate your grain intake.  Grains are very high glycemic, causing a roller coaster effect on your blood sugar.  Although we think of whole grains as healthy, in reality they are processed foods.  Something else that could help is coconut oil.  Good fats help to stabilize blood sugar.

Regarding meat eating, I know there is a big debate about this.  From my own studies I have found that the cultures in the world who have the greatest longevity eat small amounts of animal products.  I don't think it's healthy to eat large amounts, but I think very small amounts mixed in with a diet that is primarily plant-based is OK.  For example, there are definite health benefits to be gained from the omega 3s in fish and cultured dairy such as kefir. 

PD

A good friend/coworker of mine switched to a vegan diet to get his cholesterol under control. While it really helped that issue so that he did not need meds, it caused other health problems to spring up. His doc suggested he start to eat a little bid of animal protein per week by way of salmon or chicken, etc. Once he did that everything settled back down. I'm very impressed with his determination to change his health without the use of meds and it definitely proves to me that our bodies are greatly influenced by what we eat and the meds we take.

• 2 weeks later...

My recent labs showed higher blood sugar (A1C) although I don't have diabetes I'm in the PRE zone.

From what I have read,this happens because of slower digestion issues of quitting benzos.

When food lingers in your stomach longer,it effects blood sugar levels.

I'm going to start taking digestion enzymes and see if it helps,but hopefully with time this will improve on it's own!

I'm always hungry also, especially the first part of the day. It feels like I'm not absorbing the nutrients or something. I really changed my diet a few months ago which really helped with my brain & withdrawal sx's. I saw a big improvement. I still have the hunger issues though. I'm mostly paleo now. I eat quinoa & brown rice sometimes. I'll cheat if we go to a restaurant though. I was very low in iron, so I've started eating buffalo red meat for breakfast + quich & a scrambled egg. I eat wild salmon on a huge organic salad every day for lunch. I eat a huge amount of calories & lot more protein now. Again, I saw a big improvement with overall sx's & depression, cog fog. But still hungry in the first half of the day.

I've listened to a lot of nutritional talks & we do need some meat. I also see a nutritionist. Based on what I've learned, I believe we have high cortisol because of WD's. Our bodies are  in a constant stress response. This sends us into the fight or flight stress response. Our digestion shuts down & diverts all its energy elsewhere. This is why I'm not absorbing all my nutrients, I've learned. I eat very slowly now & mindfully. I don't eat on the run, because this sends my body into more of a stress response.

I've heard it explained this way: the zebra being chased by the lion goes into fight or flight. All energy is diverted to the legs for flight & not digestion. The body is trying to survive the moment, not long term food processing.

I'm hoping my body will normalize & I won't be so hungry. Supplements have also helped. But I couldn't even tolerate supplements until month 10 post benzo. I feel like my original issue was adrenal fatigue & I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia & sleep problems & rx'd klonopin. Now I'm having to learn how to be stress free & coping strategies. I'm waiting for my adrenal glands to heal & my CNS system to calm down. Then I feel my body will absorb nutrients much better I believe.