How to find a Compounding Pharmacy and a Willing Doctor to Write the Prescription!

[la...]

Greetings, all.  I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for me to share the specifics of what I've learned about how to obtain a compounded prescription for use in titrating off a CR drug.  But a moderator told me it would be okay and I am certainly delighted to do so, in the hopes it might help someone else.

As I described previously, I called a dozen or more compounding pharmacies in search of one who could propose a way to provide a lower dose of Ambien CR.  Eventually, I found one:  Pharmacy Innovations in Jamestown NY.

The prescription is:  "ZOLPIDEM SR FIXED OIL 1 MG/ML SUPENSION, Take up to 10 ml at bedtime per taper protocol."  It is shipped with an ice pack, and stored in the refrigerator.

The cost was much less than normal Ambien.  Pharmacies have a lot of discretion in how they price drugs.  So, if you are considering this route, don't assume it will be prohibitively expensive.  It might actually be quite affordable.  Something to keep in mind, however, is that some insurances will only cover "approved" dosages.  In my case, not using my insurance actually proved the less expensive route.

It was also an adventure trying to find a doctor who was willing to work with a compounding pharmacy.  Most declined, citing concerns about drug safety.  To find one, I asked several local compounding pharmacies if they could tell me the name of a few doctors whose prescriptions they fill.  After a few unsuccessful inquiries, I noted that they seemed uncomfortable with the question -- like perhaps it was a privacy issue.  So, I revised my phone script along the lines of "I'd like to do some business with your pharmacy, but cannot find anyone who will write the prescription."  When I put it that way, they were willing to provide me the names of a few doctors in my area who send them prescriptions (emphasizing, of course, that they were not endorsing any of them).

And that is how, after two years of being stonewalled, I finally cracked the nut and got access to the treatment protocol I felt would be best for me.

Best of luck to all,

Me

Wow that's great news ladyo,

This sounds fantastic and I'm so happy for you :yippee: And I do hope it all goes very smoothly for you to get right off of those nasties.

I do have a question, and not sure where to post it but I saw you have a nurse's book lady and figured I'd ask this here as maybe you know.

I'm wondering if the drug zopiclone, (and all those z drugs) are just as fat soluable as the rest of the benzos are? Do they also stay in the fat cells for an extended period of time just like the benzos do?? I ask this because I I have a friend and my daughter are both on the zopiclone and I'm very worried.

Thanks, hope it was ok to post this here.

It was my pleasure to post this, Colin.

Hey there, Skooter.  I confess I don't know the answer to your question.  I'm a doctor, but not a medical doctor.  (Gawd how I love saying that.)  Perhaps another "Lady" had the nurse book? 

I'll bet a medical sort of person will chime in shortly with an answer to your question.

Not all compounding pharmacies are the same.  I use a really good one called McGuffs.  They are in CA but ship anywhere and Clay the pharmacist is great.  Will talk to you for as long as it takes.  In fact if you tell him what you want, he may be able to tell you what doc's in your area could help you.

They have a website and a toll free number.

Jan

• 11 months later...
I think that Belmar Pharmacy in Lakewood Colorado will do it too.  I know they ship.  Phone number is 800-525-9473.  or 303-763-5533.  Also..I think I spelled Pharmica  wrong....I think it's Pharmaca  Boulder Colorado.  I'm sure if you google it you can find it.  They compound my mom's armour thyroid for her.