[sh...]

My dose is 5mg right now

Been holding on it for 45 days

Looking for the 1ml syringe but just wanted to verify

If I dilute it what would u suggest?

So it's 500 day taper is the plan

100 days to get down 1mg

Thank you!

It is really not a good idea to think in terms of a schedule.  Tapering these drugs requires flexibility.  You need to taper according to the way you feel from day to day.

I'd dilute to at least 1mg=10ml.  That will work if you have a 1ml and 10ml syringes.

I agree again. Schedules can be dangerous things. You either force yourself to go too fast, or you get really despondent when you can't keep to that schedule. I had a lot of "I should be finished by ......" dates during the first part of my taper, but by the time I got to 1mg I had to throw all that out the window because I had to really slow down. Just go with the flow and cut only what you can tolerate.

You can dilute to either 1mg=10ml or 1mg=100ml. It's your choice, but my preference was 100ml.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about "schedules" since so many have commented. I'm finding it a bit difficult to figure out how the L cuts are affecting me and how much of a cut is OK because of the lag time (which wasn't there with the X). One day I will be convinced I cannot keep up my pace, and then next day I will think I can. So anybody want to say how they know when they need to slow down? At the first hint of trouble? After waiting a few days? L is so different from X and this is hard to figure out.

Oh, and I should mention that I am using gabapentin on an irregular schedule for complicated reasons but this is how my doctor is prescribing it.

Thanks.

Gard

Question about "schedules" since so many have commented. I'm finding it a bit difficult to figure out how the L cuts are affecting me and how much of a cut is OK because of the lag time (which wasn't there with the X). One day I will be convinced I cannot keep up my pace, and then next day I will think I can. So anybody want to say how they know when they need to slow down? At the first hint of trouble? After waiting a few days? L is so different from X and this is hard to figure out.

Oh, and I should mention that I am using gabapentin on an irregular schedule for complicated reasons but this is how my doctor is prescribing it.

Thanks.

Gard

Gard, when you have increased symptoms , what is it that increases ?

I'm asking because when I get a really bad wave, my first sign is pain in the neck, super dizzy thick feeling and screaming ears. After that my appetite goes away. And then. And then and then etc.

So, when I felt the onset of these things coming more to the forefront ( I always kind of had them in the background but increasing when in a wave ) I would hold. It could be very subtle but it would mean hold for me.

I would do it when the first symptoms appear and not wait. It's easier to slow down and take to easy for a bit than to catch up from getting slammed.

That's how it worked for me.

:smitten:

Hugs,

Thanks, Moo. With me it's either depression or anxiety or both. And loss of appetite. And some other symptoms that may or may not be from the benzos, such as neuropathy and sleep panics and paralysis (which I have had before in my life). Lately the depression has been a bit less but the anxiety has gotten worse and the neuropathy has gotten worse.

So far I have had little of any other symptoms. Tinnitus has been minor and transient. Only a couple of episodes of weird pains. Got slammed from aggressive X cutting many months ago and then again when I crossed to L. This doesn't compare to that. It's just wearing on me that I have so few windows. I can't imagine being able to work through this. It''s often hard to leave the house. Of course that it's February in Michigan doesn't help!

I am not making aggressive cuts. After my idiotic and clueless start, I held a long time and then I started at 5% and worked my way up to 20%. I think I was better at 15%. But I have to change prescribers soon and I doubt this new one is going to be as patient and flexible as the one who is leaving soon. He was the most laid back and flexible psychiatrist in the world! I may have to pick a pace the new prescriber is happy with and stick with it.

Very sorry about your tinnitus and weird pains and sensations. I get very little of that (knock wood).

Gard :smitten:

Thanks, Moo. With me it's either depression or anxiety or both. And loss of appetite. And some other symptoms that may or may not be from the benzos, such as neuropathy and sleep panics and paralysis (which I have had before in my life). Lately the depression has been a bit less but the anxiety has gotten worse and the neuropathy has gotten worse.

So far I have had little of any other symptoms. Tinnitus has been minor and transient. Only a couple of episodes of weird pains. Got slammed from aggressive X cutting many months ago and then again when I crossed to L. This doesn't compare to that. It's just wearing on me that I have so few windows. I can't imagine being able to work through this. It''s often hard to leave the house. Of course that it's February in Michigan doesn't help!

I am not making aggressive cuts. After my idiotic and clueless start, I held a long time and then I started at 5% and worked my way up to 20%. I think I was better at 15%. But I have to change prescribers soon and I doubt this new one is going to be as patient and flexible as the one who is leaving soon. He was the most laid back and flexible psychiatrist in the world! I may have to pick a pace the new prescriber is happy with and stick with it.

Very sorry about your tinnitus and weird pains and sensations. I get very little of that (knock wood).

Maybe tell the new one you're going slower than you are. So you can stash some and not worry about the scripts coming....?

Sleep paralysis is so scary to me. Sorry you suffer from that at times, too....

I gotta scoot but will reply a bit later. If it's about other stuff, I'll reply on my blog.

My dose is 5mg right now

Been holding on it for 45 days

Looking for the 1ml syringe but just wanted to verify

If I dilute it what would u suggest?

So it's 500 day taper is the plan

100 days to get down 1mg

Thank you!

TBH, diluting 9:1 (10% solution) is max  dilution you would ever need in order to  measure in take your dose.  Doing a 9:1 with 1mg=1ml liquid will actually allow you to measure to .001 (thousandths) of a mg.  However, many folks prefer 99:1 (1% solution) because then each ml is 1%.  Its whatever ratio you feel more confident with. 

But you defnintely should plan on diluting.

"Schedule" ???  IMO, you should always have plan, and it really should be in writing.

But that plan is only a guide, it definitely should NOT dictate how often or how much you should cut.  I usually made a spread sheet to show my plan for each .5mg reduction.  Then I recorded my progress on the  spread sheet.  I noted my tablet dose and my liquid dose each day, I made notes about how I felt, and I made notes anytime my actual dose deviated from the plan.  My  paper plan was really an "outline" for a diary of my taper journey.

And just for clarification, a "spread sheet" does NOT need to be software generated document.  If your tech challenged, you can put together a perfectly functional spread sheet with a pencil and a lined tablet.

SG  sure could use you input on this you had said i am cutting 6.5% a month and to me that seems like not enough at my dose of 1.76 mgs..i have been reading on the k thread and it seems this is really slow and drawing things out longer than needed and since i have not tried a larger cut with the c/c/h taper than .001gms alternating doses..i dont know that i cant up my game..cause from what i am reading it gets really slow when you get like to less than .25mgs..and i dont want that to happen it will take me yrs if that happens..

would love your input into this and a new taper plan if you think i can do it..will be waiting before i cut the next 3 days of my pills as i am afraid from my health anxiety of a heart attack, stoke or seizure but i need to get over that and try and move on..

i posted the question on the k thread but also would love your input also and what kind of plan you could help me with that would get me lower quicker..before i have to go even slower than i already am..i want to not be really old before i heal and have a life for the first time since i was 22..

thanks for always helping me

deep :)

I don't think taper rate is something you can speed up.  All you can do is find what your body can handle and stay within that limit.  I agree 6.5% a month is slow, but I would not advise pushing it.  It's what you can handle.  Instead I'd tell you to focus on feeling as well as possible so the length of the taper does not matter.  Take a month off.  Cut way smaller.  Do whatever it takes to feel well.  Focus on life, not the taper.  You'll still get there.  Throw away the calendar and try to wrap your head around the goal of always feeling well, rather than getting to zero.  Beyond that, I think you could help yourself by switching to .5mg pills, or better yet, switching to liquid.  As your dose gets lower accurate dosing matters more.  I wouldn't blame you if you rejected this advice, but I think it is the right approach to these drugs.

I agree with SG. Who cares how slow a person goes as long as you're "going"? Heck, I'd give my left...arm...if I could cut 5% a month! I'm not sure how long you've been on K or how much, but just do what SG recommends; go with what works, you can always adjust. I was on 5-6mg/day of K for 21+ yrs (started my 22nd year recently) before I had a clue what a taper is. It's now about 11 months later and I can barely cut a little, much less any, due to so many other problems that the K caused me. I've gotten over blaming docs etc., and now I just deal and move on. I might be able to cut a couple days here and there, but then have to hold. I had to hold almost two full months before I felt decent enough to move on. Then, problems nailed me again. So, if you're at 1.76 and making any headway at all in the right direction, then count blessings and go on with life. The finish line will show up eventually, but I know that the goal isn't just to "finish", but to "finish feeling good" without having many months of recovery after getting OFF the stuff!! You'll get there. Believe and keep the faith!!

Jeff

Maybe tell the new one you're going slower than you are. So you can stash some and not worry about the scripts coming....?

I gotta scoot but will reply a bit later. If it's about other stuff, I'll reply on my blog.

Thanks for the idea. I do have this phobia that there will be another terrorist attack or something and our meds will be cut off since they are generally made in other countries. A stash would make me feel better! ;)

"Schedule" ???  IMO, you should always have plan, and it really should be in writing.

But that plan is only a guide, it definitely should NOT dictate how often or how much you should cut.  I usually made a spread sheet to show my plan for each .5mg reduction.  Then I recorded my progress on the  spread sheet.  I noted my tablet dose and my liquid dose each day, I made notes about how I felt, and I made notes anytime my actual dose deviated from the plan.  My  paper plan was really an "outline" for a diary of my taper journey.

And just for clarification, a "spread sheet" does NOT need to be software generated document.  If your tech challenged, you can put together a perfectly functional spread sheet with a pencil and a lined tablet.

Ha ha. That's totally me right now. I use 4x6 cards and write out a week at a time and try to stick to it unless I think I'm about to fall apart. I try to keep my cut the same for a whole month no matter how I feel. And then I re-evaluate. I'm just never sure if I am really supposed to be nearly symptom-free. Some seem to be able to do that, but I don't. I end up just about standing still and still have symptoms.  :-\ Perhaps it's because of the months I was having inter-dose withdrawal very severely and didn't know what was going on. And then my big crash in May. I seem to be sensitive to just about everything now. I do think I am slowly adjusting to the L and if I keep cutting it I may actually keep getting better even though I feel pretty bad right now. When I was half-crossed and on less L, I felt much better.

I agree with SG. Who cares how slow a person goes as long as you're "going"? Heck, I'd give my left...arm...if I could cut 5% a month! I'm not sure how long you've been on K or how much, but just do what SG recommends; go with what works, you can always adjust. I was on 5-6mg/day of K for 21+ yrs (started my 22nd year recently) before I had a clue what a taper is. It's now about 11 months later and I can barely cut a little, much less any, due to so many other problems that the K caused me. I've gotten over blaming docs etc., and now I just deal and move on. I might be able to cut a couple days here and there, but then have to hold. I had to hold almost two full months before I felt decent enough to move on. Then, problems nailed me again. So, if you're at 1.76 and making any headway at all in the right direction, then count blessings and go on with life. The finish line will show up eventually, but I know that the goal isn't just to "finish", but to "finish feeling good" without having many months of recovery after getting OFF the stuff!! You'll get there. Believe and keep the faith!!

Jeff

Hi, Jeff! Always good to see you. I'm about to experience the big prescriber switch (my prescriber is leaving) and am hoping it goes better for me than it did for you! Gosh, that was scary!

I'm glad that you can make little cuts now and then. Any movement is something to celebrate! I got totally stuck and crossed to L and am able to cut again. It is one more step toward victory over these nasty drugs! We can do this! :thumbsup:

Hi builder thanks for your response

So if I am on 5ml/5 mg to start of liquid Valium the goal for 500 days was .01 per day so one tick down on the 1ml syringe

Is that not dooable or realistic? So 100 days deducting 1mg.

If it is already liquid do I need to liquefy it more w water? I can't use vodka. Yuk.

It will be really hard to see the little ticks on the 1ml syringe but that is what the doc recommended.

Maybe I should start by cutting and holding. Idk. After a c/t and fast taper my nervous system is freaking shot. I blew a fuse. Terrified to stop being functional. I need to work and take care of my kids at least minimally.

Thnx!!!!!

Thanks for the idea. I do have this phobia that there will be another terrorist attack or something and our meds will be cut off since they are generally made in other countries. A stash would make me feel better! ;)

I know! I used to be scared of forgetting my tabs when I had to be away from home. Or that TSA would take them when I traveled. Or that I would be cut off.

After going through that awful Ativan wd, I got really worried to be ever out of tabs and not being able to taper slowly.

She trusted me when she saw my numbers go down and was liberal with the scripts after that. But before that I made sure to have some extra. I used to have to see her every three weeks and later on I saw her once every three months or so, and she just called in the scripts.

But when I was done tapering, I had over 120 two mgr tabs left.

Crazy stuff.

So if I am on 5ml/5 mg to start of liquid Valium the goal for 500 days was .01 per day so one tick down on the 1ml syringe

If it is already liquid do I need to liquefy it more w water? I can't use vodka. Yuk.

It will be really hard to see the little ticks on the 1ml syringe but that is what the doc recommended.

Maybe I should start by cutting and holding. Idk. After a c/t and fast taper my nervous system is freaking shot. I blew a fuse. Terrified to stop being functional. I need to work and take care of my kids at least minimally.

Thnx!!!!!

If you already have a prepared liquid valium you don’t need to use any vodka because you already have a dissolved solution of valium. However, you are going to be making it harder for yourself than you need to if you DON'T dilute the liquid. Don’t listen to your doctor. He’s probably never used the stuff. As you've already noted it's hard to see the little marks on a 1ml syringe, so imagine how hard it would be if you had to cut smaller.

It’s very easy to dilute. Just read this link. Valium daily taper-Milk or Liquid Valium

You could start out cutting just 0.01mg if you want to, but most people on your dose would be cutting a bit more. You could probably get away with cutting at least 0.015mg to 0.02mg per day. I started out cutting 0.025mg per day on 5mg, and then reduced to around 0.02mg at 4mg. You might as well get the earlier part of your taper done a bit quicker, if you can manage it, because you might find you need to really slow down the last part.

You don’t need to cut and hold. You’ve got the liquid valium so you might as well make it easy on yourself and do a daily taper.

SG  sure could use you input on this you had said i am cutting 6.5% a month and to me that seems like not enough at my dose of 1.76 mgs..i have been reading on the k thread and it seems this is really slow and drawing things out longer than needed and since i have not tried a larger cut with the c/c/h taper than .001gms alternating doses..i dont know that i cant up my game..cause from what i am reading it gets really slow when you get like to less than .25mgs..and i dont want that to happen it will take me yrs if that happens..

would love your input into this and a new taper plan if you think i can do it..will be waiting before i cut the next 3 days of my pills as i am afraid from my health anxiety of a heart attack, stoke or seizure but i need to get over that and try and move on..

i posted the question on the k thread but also would love your input also and what kind of plan you could help me with that would get me lower quicker..before i have to go even slower than i already am..i want to not be really old before i heal and have a life for the first time since i was 22..

thanks for always helping me

deep :)

I don't think taper rate is something you can speed up.  All you can do is find what your body can handle and stay within that limit.  I agree 6.5% a month is slow, but I would not advise pushing it.  It's what you can handle.  Instead I'd tell you to focus on feeling as well as possible so the length of the taper does not matter.  Take a month off.  Cut way smaller.  Do whatever it takes to feel well.  Focus on life, not the taper.  You'll still get there.  Throw away the calendar and try to wrap your head around the goal of always feeling well, rather than getting to zero.  Beyond that, I think you could help yourself by switching to .5mg pills, or better yet, switching to liquid.  As your dose gets lower accurate dosing matters more.  I wouldn't blame you if you rejected this advice, but I think it is the right approach to these drugs.

Jeff

Jeff,

sounds like you are on a really good path. i am really jealous of all you slow taperers. i still have severe head symptoms at 46 months out. the bizarre thing is last night i didn't think i was going to make it as the wave was so intense i couldn't even tell if i was in a wave but tonight i am feeling so much more towards the normal. i am one of the more brutal cold turkey's from K. God how i wish i did it differently. i say this pretty frequently on this thread so don't mind me.  ::) anyway, you are on the right track. :)

Pretty

:thumbsup:  I agree with Builder.  It is important to have a plan.  As he said, the plan is a guide, but it is needed. Dilution is also important. If you make a mistake with a very small volume the error is magnified and you will feel it.  Make the same mistake using a larger volume, and the error is much smaller and will have less of an effect.  One should always know the percentage they are cutting.  I have seen too many people have an uptick in symptoms and think it is normal or due to the liquid taper.  Many times it is because they have cut much more than 10, 20, or 30% in a two week period.  The guidelines of cutting no more than 5-10% every two weeks is a good one and has always worked for me and many others.  Anytime I went over 10%, usually accidentally, I would feel it especially at the very low dosages.  It is easy to calculate the percent cut. Take the amount cut over a two week period (or daily or monthly) and divide by your full dose and multiply by 100. You will need to decrease your taper rate as you get to lower dosages to keep within the 5-10% cut range. Some might be able to taper at more than 10% every two weeks, but again this is just a guideline and when things do get bad it is easy to tell if you have cut too much or if the symptoms are due to something other than the cut rate.  I started my taper cutting 0.005 mg daily and now I cut 0.0012 mg daily.  I will need to decrease that to 0.0008, 0.0004 and so on as I get even lower.  I am able to do this because I keep track of my percent cuts (every two weeks) and adjust as I taper.

I use a spreadsheet, but as Builder said it is just as easy to use a notebook and a calculator. Having a written plan helps to identify problems if they occur.

Anne

If your syringe is calibrated in .01 graduations (100 marks) then yes, each mark is .01ml

Yes, that should work.  Most folks start a little higher, then make adjustments as they drop, but a steady  .01/day should work.

Yes, you need to dilute!! Water is all you need.

Yes, that's why you need to dilute!  Just because your syringe is graduated in hundredths doesn't mean you can actually make accurate measurement in hundredths of a ml.  Diluting dramatically reduces your error factor.  And get a 10ml syringe in addition to your 1ml syringe.

If your "terrified to stop being functional..." I definitely would NOT try to cut-and-hold.  I started on C&H from 15mg, .5 mg every 2 weeks.  I had 24-36 hours of pretty severe sxs after each cut, and really was non-functional during that time.  If I had known about daily liquid tapering back then, I would NEVER have done a C&H.

Thnx!!!!!

hey everybody,

I'm still on 4 mg Diazepam and would like to start to get used to part pills part liquid... but I still have to wait for my 100 ml cylinder, will be at my pharmacist on Tuesday... I'd like to try the 4 mg already before i start my tapering. My pharmacist advised to dissolve my 1 mg pill in 1 mg water... wait ... turn it front to back and then add my 99 ml of full milk. Is that a good way to start ? I know to put it in the refrigarator over night ... and then still shake it a bit before drinking. Normally then I wouldn't have any side effects ... will I... so that i can start this week to taper ? My first would then be 3.980 bij 0.02 probably till 2.5 then taper firther on.. on a lower dose. Could i already try without my cylinder but just fill up 10 times with a 10 ml syringe to try ?

Thanks for your answer x

The pill will not dissolve in water, but might disintegrate.  My lorazepam disintegrates immediately when I add water.  Yes, you can use your 10 mL syringe. 

Anne

Thanks Anne... I would make my pill small first with the back of a spoon so that the parts are very small... I also have little capsules of 1 mg to open those are already a powder.

hey everybody,

I'm still on 4 mg Diazepam and would like to start to get used to part pills part liquid... but I still have to wait for my 100 ml cylinder, will be at my pharmacist on Tuesday... I'd like to try the 4 mg already before i start my tapering. My pharmacist advised to dissolve my 1 mg pill in 1 mg water... wait ... turn it front to back and then add my 99 ml of full milk. Is that a good way to start ? I know to put it in the refrigarator over night ... and then still shake it a bit before drinking. Normally then I wouldn't have any side effects ... will I... so that i can start this week to taper ? My first would then be 3.980 bij 0.02 probably till 2.5 then taper firther on.. on a lower dose. Could i already try without my cylinder but just fill up 10 times with a 10 ml syringe to try ?

Thanks for your answer x

Just add the pill to 100ml milk.  There is nothing gained by putting it in water first.  Your diazepam is definitely not soluble in 1ml water, although, as Anne says, it might disintegrate.  But it definitely is lipid ("fat") soluble, and will definitely dissolve in full fat milk.

My pharmacist supposed this because you can see in water what's happening... and in milk not.... so if i dissolve in the milk and let it rest for 10 min everything will be dissolved ?

My pharmacist supposed this because you can see in water what's happening... and in milk not.... so if i dissolve in the milk and let it rest for 10 min everything will be dissolved ?

Yes, with water you can see the pill fall apart but then what ? It won't dissolve in water.

By the way, if you use milk, you will have little clumps in it. That does not mean your pill didn't dissolve. Whatever is left over are fillers of the tablet. The Valium itself will dissolve in the milk, because of the milk fat.

Yes, with water you can see the pill fall apart but then what ? It won't dissolve in water.

By the way, if you use milk, you will have little clumps in it. That does not mean your pill didn't dissolve. Whatever is left over are fillers of the tablet. The Valium itself will dissolve in the milk, because of the milk fat.

But Moo, like so many things here on BB, if it 1) gives her some reassurance, and 2) doesn't really compromise the methd, then it's all good!  :)

I know i'm insecure right know but that's because of a real bad experience with medecine ... i react really sensitive to medication ... that's why the caution... and in this situation every change is scary to me... once started and everything's great... my secure feeling returns...