How long should a taper be?

[Da...]

I know the standard answer is going to be "everyone is unique," and I understand that.

But are there guidelines? For me, I took ativan for 2.5 months.....I want to make sure I don't do an unnecessary long drawn out taper,  but at the same time, I have to listen to my body.

Any input is appreciated , thanks

Dan

Dan I don't know but I'd kind of like to be here to find out.

I was on high dose for years.

My signature says what my body and mind are handling, but a lot is psychological.

If a long drawn out taper gets you to zero feeling good and that is the end with no post-withdrawal time (months or years) then that sounds like the way to go to me.

We tend to taper with the illusion that "zero" is the goal.  I know I did.  But when I got there I learned that what matters is how you feel when you get there.  If you feel good it's over.  If you feel lousy its extended penalty time.  And I can tell you it is slow and long.  In my case years.

But for 2.5mg A I would generally say a lot of people can come in around a year while many need up to two years.  I'm sure there are few who are outside that range.

We tend to taper with the illusion that "zero" is the goal.  I know I did.  But when I got there I learned that what matters is how you feel when you get there.  If you feel good it's over.  If you feel lousy its extended penalty time.  And I can tell you it is slow and long.  In my case years.

I hear what you are saying SG, but you put in your time. I'm thinking tapering for 2-1/2 years should have done the trick. Do you wish you had gone even slower than that? Do you think if you took more time you would have felt better?

I'm asking for the sake of my own taper. I'm wondering if I should slow mine down a little, being a long-term subscriber.

TH

But for 2.5mg A I would generally say a lot of people can come in around a year while many need up to two years.  I'm sure there are few who are outside that range.

Thx for the reply  :) just want to make sure I understood this comment though....you put 2.5 mg (typo?).....did you mean to say that for someone who took ativan for 2.5 months, that generally it's a 1-2 year taper? (I took 1-2mg daily, probably taking 1mg 75% of the time)

Thx for the reply  :) just want to make sure I understood this comment though....you put 2.5 mg (typo?).....did you mean to say that for someone who took ativan for 2.5 months, that generally it's a 1-2 year taper? (I took 1-2mg daily, probably taking 1mg 75% of the time)

You are tapering quite fast

2 mg ativan is 20 mg valium -- ashton taper schedules say cut 1 -2 mg every 2 weeks

So to taper all the way using Ashton (which many here see as too fast) would take 20 -40 weeks

I have been tapering from the equivalent of 1.5 mg ativan (15 mg valium) since OCT 2014  -- 8 months but I have had very minor manageable symptoms except when I cut too fast

I'm at 1 mg and will hold until I feel normal --then cut to .5 or walk off

I am certainly no expert in this, but I think we you fall in this gray area like us (a couple of months on), it's really hard to know what's best to do. But my gut is that getting off as quickly as possible, while listening to your body and slowing down when needed, is a good idea.

I posed a similar question on the short-term use board, and generally those who responded felt dragging out a taper didn't necessarily help them. But then there were those who took it way too fast too, and are still suffering months and months later.

I don't think that helps, but I think we have to pave our own path. Try and adjust as needed.

Good luck!

You are tapering quite fast

2 mg ativan is 20 mg valium -- ashton taper schedules say cut 1 -2 mg every 2 weeks

So to taper all the way using Ashton (which many here see as too fast) would take 20 -40 weeks

I have been tapering from the equivalent of 1.5 mg ativan (15 mg valium) since OCT 2014  -- 8 months but I have had very minor manageable symptoms except when I cut too fast

I'm at 1 mg and will hold until I feel normal --then cut to .5 or walk off

Ah, I gotcha. Though, I think in those 2.5 months that I took ativan, I probably took 2 mg for 7 days straight. My most common dose was 1mg daily. Is that still an issue, if I only took 2mg for a week ?

I am certainly no expert in this, but I think we you fall in this gray area like us (a couple of months on), it's really hard to know what's best to do. But my gut is that getting off as quickly as possible, while listening to your body and slowing down when needed, is a good idea.

I posed a similar question on the short-term use board, and generally those who responded felt dragging out a taper didn't necessarily help them. But then there were those who took it way too fast too, and are still suffering months and months later.

I don't think that helps, but I think we have to pave our own path. Try and adjust as needed.

Good luck!

Hey buddy  :thumbsup: yeah, I agree, and it's hard to tell. I'm actually going a tad slower now.

I hear what you are saying SG, but you put in your time. I'm thinking tapering for 2-1/2 years should have done the trick. Do you wish you had gone even slower than that? Do you think if you took more time you would have felt better?

I'm asking for the sake of my own taper. I'm wondering if I should slow mine down a little, being a long-term subscriber.

TH

I tapered for 2 1/2 years, but I felt lousy during that time.  So even though it was a lot of time it was still too quick.  Still pushing it.  I needed to slow it down.  I am certain if I had kept myself feeling good and arrived at zero in good shape this would have been long since over.  More time was added by pushing.

Yes, that's what I meant.  I thought you began at 2.5mg A.  For 1mg A I'd adjust that window to 6-18 months.

TH

I tapered for 2 1/2 years, but I felt lousy during that time.  So even though it was a lot of time it was still too quick.  Still pushing it.  I needed to slow it down.  I am certain if I had kept myself feeling good and arrived at zero in good shape this would have been long since over.  More time was added by pushing.

I think that I may have to slow it down a bit. I don't feel as good at this new .0005 cut rate as I did with .0004. I am experiencing some low level anxiety and depression. But I have been having some crying spells on and off throughout my taper, but I feel better afterwards. I've been doing the .0005 for about 10 days or so. What do 'ya think?

I think that I may have to slow it down a bit. I don't feel as good at this new .0005 cut rate as I did with .0004. I am experiencing some low level anxiety and depression. But I have been having some crying spells on and off throughout my taper, but I feel better afterwards. I've been doing the .0005 for about 10 days or so. What do 'ya think?

Your profile is similar to mine, TH.  20+ years on K and high dose (I was 21 years and came from 4mg).  I like the way you are approaching the taper and checking out each cut level.  All I can say is I didn't do myself any favors by pushing to zero.  I felt worse during the process and added more time to my recovery.  In other words, if I had taken the time and gone slower, it not only would have been a better experience, it would have been quicker.  I am absolutely certain of this now that I can look back over all 57 months.  I feel like a complete idiot for tapering the way I did.  To me the goal that needs to be preached is to always feel good.  Rate of taper and time are a distant second.  Hey, .004mg per day is not too shabby.  That is the equivalent of 2.4mg V per month.  I'd take it and stand pat with that as it sounds like the price for the extra bit of speed is some symptoms you are not happy with.  My belief is it is an illusion that you are saving time.  You won't feel as good during the process and you will pay for it with time somewhere down the line or after you reach zero.

Your profile is similar to mine, TH.  20+ years on K and high dose (I was 21 years and came from 4mg).  I like the way you are approaching the taper and checking out each cut level.  All I can say is I didn't do myself any favors by pushing to zero.  I felt worse during the process and added more time to my recovery.  In other words, if I had taken the time and gone slower, it not only would have been a better experience, it would have been quicker.  I am absolutely certain of this now that I can look back over all 57 months.  I feel like a complete idiot for tapering the way I did.  To me the goal that needs to be preached is to always feel good.  Rate of taper and time are a distant second.  Hey, .004mg per day is not too shabby.  That is the equivalent of 2.4mg V per month.  I'd take it and stand pat with that as it sounds like the price for the extra bit of speed is some symptoms you are not happy with.  My belief is it is an illusion that you are saving time.  You won't feel as good during the process and you will pay for it with time somewhere down the line or after you reach zero.

Yeah, I think you are right. But I get hung up on the "you don't begin to truly heal until you are totally off" thing. Don't you think that this carries some weight?

Yeah, I think you are right. But I get hung up on the "you don't begin to truly heal until you are totally off" thing. Don't you think that this carries some weight?

None.  Absolutely zero as far as I am concerned.  You can do this and have it be uneventful and over the day you reach zero.

That's a myth!  If we didn't heal (recover) while we taper, why would we even bother to taper.

The whole underlying principle of tapering off of any drug or med is that the recovery progress should approximate the rate of reduction.

I do recognize in retrospect that there has been some noticeable improvements in both my mental and physical well-being since I finished my taper, but I nevertheless was well and symptom-free when I stopped, and continued to be well and symptom-free.

That's a myth!  If we didn't heal (recover) while we taper, why would we even bother to taper.

The whole underlying principle of tapering off of any drug or med is that the recovery progress should approximate the rate of reduction.

I do recognize in retrospect that there has been some noticeable improvements in both my mental and physical well-being since I finished my taper, but I nevertheless was well and symptom-free when I stopped, and continued to be well and symptom-free.

You might taper because there's no future for you in the benzo and you need to get off. I don't see what that has to do with whether there is recovery while you reduce.

Can you explain what you mean in your 2nd paragraph?

If you were symptom free when you jumped why did you choose to jump at that time, and not before? Did you have any time constraints on your taper?

I'm curious because I am in anxiety and have been through this process. Maybe you did a very precise taper and didn't feel bad during it? I don't have real bad symptoms but I find it hard to understand a symptom free taper. I don't think I can wait for it either.

DD

When you take a benzo, it supplements or replaces some of the body's natural GABA, a "feel good" chemical that helps calm or relax you, and counteract some of our natural stimilant chemicals, like cortisol.  But your body/mind system has a process called homeostasis which normally keeps everything in balance.  So when you add chemical from an external source, your body will 1) produce less of on its own, and 2) probably more of the opposite, stimulatory chemicals.

So when you try to stop taking that external agent, benzo,  your body is 1) not producing enough of the "feel good" GABA, and a surplus of the excitatory chemicals, like cortisol.  This is what your body had to do while you were "interfering" with its natural control mechanism. So to avoid or minimize the discomfort and sxs that would/will result, you need to slowly reduce the level of that external chemical ("taper"), and allow your natural homeostasis gradually correct that chemical balance ("heal, or recover").

You gradually reduce your benzo intake ("taper") , while your body tries to return to a normal balance ("heals, recovers")  If the healing was not taking place while you tapered, you might as well just CT. 

This process is not unique to benzo, and in fact, isn't unique just to psyche meds.  And time you introduce an external factor to alter or influence the body's normal balance, the body will make adjustments ("homeostasis") to compensate for that external influence.  If you take a PPI to lower stomach acid porduction, you need to taper off the PPI so your body can return to normal levels.  If you take a beta-blocker to lower heart rate/bp, you need to taper off so your body can return to regulating those normally, etc.

When you take a benzo, it supplements or replaces some of the body's natural GABA, a "feel good" chemical that helps calm or relax you, and counteract some of our natural stimilant chemicals, like cortisol.  But your body/mind system has a process called homeostasis which normally keeps everything in balance.  So when you add chemical from an external source, your body will 1) produce less of on its own, and 2) probably more of the opposite, stimulatory chemicals.

So when you try to stop taking that external agent, benzo,  your body is 1) not producing enough of the "feel good" GABA, and a surplus of the excitatory chemicals, like cortisol.  This is what your body had to do while you were "interfering" with its natural control mechanism. So to avoid or minimize the discomfort and sxs that would/will result, you need to slowly reduce the level of that external chemical ("taper"), and allow your natural homeostasis gradually correct that chemical balance ("heal, or recover").

You gradually reduce your benzo intake ("taper") , while your body tries to return to a normal balance ("heals, recovers")  If the healing was not taking place while you tapered, you might as well just CT. 

This process is not unique to benzo, and in fact, isn't unique just to psyche meds.  And time you introduce an external factor to alter or influence the body's normal balance, the body will make adjustments ("homeostasis") to compensate for that external influence.  If you take a PPI to lower stomach acid porduction, you need to taper off the PPI so your body can return to normal levels.  If you take a beta-blocker to lower heart rate/bp, you need to taper off so your body can return to regulating those normally, etc.

Yeah, but healing can be painful. When it starts to feel like betterness is different for diff people. (and occurs differently within the same person too!) There is no general rule for how anyone takes to this. And there isn't a universal response to C/t or tapering.

I'm finding that I'm really just improvising and trying to report fully to my MD to try and do it right.

DD

Yeah, but healing can be painful. When it starts to feel like betterness is different for diff people. (and occurs differently within the same person too!) There is no general rule for how anyone of takes to this. And there isn't a universal response to C/t or tapering.

I'm finding that I'm really just improvising and trying to report fully to my MD to try and do it right.

DD

No, healing is NOT painful.  The pain is the result not matching your taper rate to your recovery (healing) rate. As I said, when you begin to reduce your intake of the med, your body will begin to adjust to the new conditions.  If your in pain, then you are tapering faster than your body can respond. 

When folks experience sxs, they typically reduce their taper rate, or hold.  Both of those strategies are aimed at letting your healing catch with your lowered dose.

No, healing is NOT painful.  The pain is the result not matching your taper rate to your recovery (healing) rate. As I said, when you begin to reduce your intake of the med, your body will begin to adjust to the new conditions.  If your in pain, then you are tapering faster than your body can respond. 

When folks experience sxs, they typically reduce their taper rate, or hold.  Both of those strategies are aimed at letting your healing catch with your lowered dose.

Hence my hold at 1 mg for the last month.

My night sweats are virtually gone -- I fall asleep in under 5 minutes, only awaken once or twice -- which has been a regular occurrence since quitting alcohol, edginess is almost non-existent

Yes I take KAVA and sometimes lemon balm -- but yesterday I had neither and no real s/x to speak of

Yeah, but healing can be painful. When it starts to feel like betterness is different for diff people. (and occurs differently within the same person too!) There is no general rule for how anyone of takes to this. And there isn't a universal response to C/t or tapering.

DD

Don't know that's a fact. I think there's a variety of experiences.

There is a lot of pain among taperers here though.

DD

Don't know that's a fact. I think there's a variety of experiences.

There is a lot of pain among taperers here though.

Absolutely, but is NOT caused by healing/recovery.  Its caused by withdrawal.

Thanks for the explanation/clarification Builder, I appreciate you putting in the effort into being as thorough as you are. it's a big help.