How long does Benzo Belly last??

[Je...]

Getting close to three months off klonipin cold turkey.

Things have been manageable,but this benzo belly that comes and goes is driving me mad! How long does this last? What in God's name is it? We are talking totally normal one day,and then 6 months prego looking the next.

Any suggestions of things to take to help with it?

No way to say how long it will last...it's just like any other symptom. For some people it does seem to be a pervasive one though.

Moving this to the Post Withdrawal board, you will probably get a lot more responses there.

Thanks Florida Guy. Really,if anyone can just tell me WHAT IT IS,I'd be happy.Is it gas? Fluid retention? It's so strange how it comes on all of a sudden.Luckily it only seems to last a day or so and then goes away. It makes me terribly self conscience though.

[d5...]

Jewey,

I know what you mean, I looked seriously 11 months preggers at one point, I've never had a pot belly in my life!  :tickedoff:

I'm almost 11.5 months out and still have it, although it's shrunk considerably the last month.  It seems to pooch out when I eat, then calms down later.  Even drinking water it pooches out.  Hang in there, it will go away!

MG :hug:

I'm at 5 months and it JUST went away, not completely but to the point where it's not that much of a problem anymore.  It was really bad in the fourth month, then it just faded away.  I think that's how it happens, it just gets worse and worse until it peaks then disappears.

[d5...]

Jewey,

The reason for the benzo belly is our immune system is about 80% in our intestines, and the Vagus nerve is connected to our nervous system, and messed up throughout withdrawal.  That's how I saw it explained.  I tried Kafir (probiotic) and many other things, nothing helped, just time.

MG

Thanks for the explanation Mountain Girl. I keep freaking out and thinking I'm pregnant or something is seriously wrong with me.I keep forgetting the magnitude of withdrawals  :(

Hi Jewey,

Not on BB much, but come on to check on all.  My husband suffered for months on end with the benzobelly.  He had problems with the best probiotics, increased the wds.  Though, I found one that worked, in two weeks it all left.  I've given the link to several bbs, and five I'm very close to take it, and all gi issues left.  Here is the link:

http://www.cocokefir.com/

When I found them, there were very few states carrying it... Last year this exploded in retail locations across the usa.  Read your profile, you are in Maryland... they list two locations in Maryland, I hope one is near you.  If not, you are still able to order it to be shipped.  We, as the others, ordered the "plain", no flavors.  If you decide to order it, start on "VERY SLOW", 1/4 tsp each day for a few days, increase to 1/2 tsp for about a week, and "gradually increase".... The most that most are taking is 2 tlbs per day, and all are fine.

The strains of the probiotic are low histamine, which is really important on this journey, as the histamines are elevated.  That's why so very many are so sensitive to foods, etc, that they never were.  The DAO enzyme in the gut has been affected by the benzo, and that temporary. 

The gut also has as may GABBA receptors in it as the brain.... No wonder all are affected.

Also... the blood sugar is totally affected during this journey.  One thing to help that, and it helps with wds, is a good hypoglycemia way of eating.    Let me give you a couple of links:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/suggested-meal-plan-hypoglycemia-diet-5797.html

This is a must in eating.  I've helped five other woman, got them eating this way.  They have moved forward and forward, and most are almost healed.

When you open this link, just scroll down to the food list and print it off:

https://mastcellblog.wordpress.com/histamine-diet/

If you follow the above things, you will help your system settle better and heal better.

Take good care.  Pattylu

Wow thank you Pattylu  :smitten:

I will definitely check it all out.

Haven't heard of the high histamine thing,but it makes sense-it has seemed like I've had bad allergies that I normally never had this year! I really appreciate the info.

Hi Jewey,

Not on BB much, but come on to check on all.  My husband suffered for months on end with the benzobelly.  He had problems with the best probiotics, increased the wds.  Though, I found one that worked, in two weeks it all left.  I've given the link to several bbs, and five I'm very close to take it, and all gi issues left.  Here is the link:

http://www.cocokefir.com/

When I found them, there were very few states carrying it... Last year this exploded in retail locations across the usa.  Read your profile, you are in Maryland... they list two locations in Maryland, I hope one is near you.  If not, you are still able to order it to be shipped.  We, as the others, ordered the "plain", no flavors.  If you decide to order it, start on "VERY SLOW", 1/4 tsp each day for a few days, increase to 1/2 tsp for about a week, and "gradually increase".... The most that most are taking is 2 tlbs per day, and all are fine.

The strains of the probiotic are low histamine, which is really important on this journey, as the histamines are elevated.  That's why so very many are so sensitive to foods, etc, that they never were.  The DAO enzyme in the gut has been affected by the benzo, and that temporary. 

The gut also has as may GABBA receptors in it as the brain.... No wonder all are affected.

Also... the blood sugar is totally affected during this journey.  One thing to help that, and it helps with wds, is a good hypoglycemia way of eating.    Let me give you a couple of links:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/suggested-meal-plan-hypoglycemia-diet-5797.html

This is a must in eating.  I've helped five other woman, got them eating this way.  They have moved forward and forward, and most are almost healed.

When you open this link, just scroll down to the food list and print it off:

https://mastcellblog.wordpress.com/histamine-diet/

If you follow the above things, you will help your system settle better and heal better.

Take good care.  Pattylu

Hi Pattylu, yes, thanks so much for posting this! I never realized about Benzo Belly until reading all this, and it all makes total sense. I too will check it out.

Sydney

[d5...]

Pattylu,

Thanks, going to try it.  All the probiotics I tried including kafir ramped me up badly, I can tell my histamine is high, neck and other parts of body get red easily. Is your husband totally healed now?  How far out was he when he took this, and how long to heal?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

MG

I just wanted to add something else.

It seems like whenever I stop or start taking something new I have flare ups.

This usually lasts a few days until my body adjusts.

I think the high amount of magnesium I was taking may have been contributing to my bloat.

I'm off two days now and today I wake up with...a flat tummy again.

This was also a big issue for me when i stopped klonopin cold turkey. I'm 9 months out and it is better, but not always perfect. I tried EVERYTHING under the sun, but the only thing that really made a difference was cutting gluten down/out and a product called Para-Shield by Gaia Herbs.

Benzohead,I agree with the gluten thing.

I'm a hypothyroid anyways so I try to avoid it.

It does seem like when I have gluten my bloat flares up too.

No bread for me  :(

Pattylu,

Thanks, going to try it.  All the probiotics I tried including kafir ramped me up badly, I can tell my histamine is high, neck and other parts of body get red easily. Is your husband totally healed now?  How far out was he when he took this, and how long to heal?

MG

Hi MG...  Kefir is very high in histamines, as most times it is fermented, and that what creates the high level.  My husband is TOTALLY healed.  The benzo belly set in in 3.5 months after he jumped, and continued until month 24, he was in agony.  All other probiotics did the same, ramped up the wds horribly.  I then found cocokefir.  The liquid with from the organic "young green coconut", no fermentation at all...  In TWO weeks, and we began very slow, 1/4 tsp for a few days.... in two weeks the benzo belly was gone totally, and he has never had any gi issues since, not bloating, nothing.  And, he had looked that he was p.g. for three years prior to cockefir.

Try to get this, it does work, as it has for the other five I have supported.  Remember though, stick with a low histamine food plan, as well as an excellent hypoglycemic program. 

I wish all of you well.  You will heal totally from all of this, those, these are the keys (above), as I mentioned in my first post to "j".. they do help you get through this much easier.  And, forget supplements... they create havoc on the system with wds...  I have seen it time and time again over 4.5 years of being on this sight faithfully... 

Pattylu

[d5...]

Pattylu,

MG

Hi MG...  Kefir is very high in histamines, as most times it is fermented, and that what creates the high level.  My husband is TOTALLY healed.  The benzo belly set in in 3.5 months after he jumped, and continued until month 24, he was in agony.  All other probiotics did the same, ramped up the wds horribly.  I then found cocokefir.  The liquid with from the organic "young green coconut", no fermentation at all...  In TWO weeks, and we began very slow, 1/4 tsp for a few days.... in two weeks the benzo belly was gone totally, and he has never had any gi issues since, not bloating, nothing.  And, he had looked that he was p.g. for three years prior to cockefir.

Try to get this, it does work, as it has for the other five I have supported.  Remember though, stick with a low histamine food plan, as well as an excellent hypoglycemic program. 

I wish all of you well.  You will heal totally from all of this, those, these are the keys (above), as I mentioned in my first post to "j".. they do help you get through this much easier.  And, forget supplements... they create havoc on the system with wds...  I have seen it time and time again over 4.5 years of being on this sight faithfully... 

Pattylu

Pattylu,

Thanks so much!  I'm a natural healer with herbs, and supplements, self taught, so have a better idea than some what will work.  I take Cramp Bark herb (quinine is made from) for my extreme muscle cramps, L-glycine, L-theanine & turmeric for the same and sleep.  I take Magnesium citrate, potassium & 300mg of Alpha Lipoic acid a day.  Since starting ALA, I turned a corner.  Stomach seems to be shrinking also, but still would like to try that cocokefir, just have to wait till next Friday to buy it.

My main sx's are the benzo belly, leg cramps, weakness when cramps & nerve pain flare.  That's pretty much it.  I've shed many sx's.  Not bad for a poly-drugged chick who floxed 3x.

Thanks again, MG :thumbsup:

Pattylu,

MG

Pattylu

Pattylu,

Thanks so much!  I'm a natural healer with herbs, and supplements, self taught, so have a better idea than some what will work.  I take Cramp Bark herb (quinine is made from) for my extreme muscle cramps, L-glycine, L-theanine & turmeric for the same and sleep.  I take Magnesium citrate, potassium & 300mg of Alpha Lipoic acid a day.  Since starting ALA, I turned a corner.  Stomach seems to be shrinking also, but still would like to try that cocokefir, just have to wait till next Friday to buy it.

My main sx's are the benzo belly, leg cramps, weakness when cramps & nerve pain flare.  That's pretty much it.  I've shed many sx's.  Not bad for a poly-drugged chick who floxed 3x.

Thanks again, MG :thumbsup:

Hi MG,  I truly wish you and all very well.  Turmeric is very HIGH histamine.  Most on BB have had very severe wds from much you are taking, mostly the MG...  Be very careful with it all.  Unless you are totally deficient in something, stay away from everything, other then the most healthy natural organic foods, and balanced in eating properly.  I understand that everyone going through this is trying to help their system heal, and try so many, many wonderful things... but, unfortunately, everyone systems are so compromised "temporarily"  from this, they need to do "less then more"... The less works in adding anything additional.  Though, everyone must follow their own way.

My best to all.  Pattylu 

[d5...]

Hi MG,  I truly wish you and all very well.  Turmeric is very HIGH histamine.  Most on BB have had very severe wds from much you are taking, mostly the MG...  Be very careful with it all.  Unless you are totally deficient in something, stay away from everything, other then the most healthy natural organic foods, and balanced in eating properly.  I understand that everyone going through this is trying to help their system heal, and try so many, many wonderful things... but, unfortunately, everyone systems are so compromised "temporarily"  from this, they need to do "less then more"... The less works in adding anything additional.  Though, everyone must follow their own way.

My best to all.  Pattylu

Pattylu,

One thing I've known but really learned personally is how different our bodies are.  I try one thing at a time.  Like Lemon Balm, it calms down most, but it ramped me up.  The turmeric is great for me, it's anti-inflammatory properties are what I need.  Also it helps with the rebound hypertension I'm going through tapering off Clonidine.  All the supplements/herbs I'm taking are 'custom made' for me.  While they work for me, they may not others.  Being an herbal healer, I've tried many throughout this process, and attribute it to my fast healing finding the ones that do help. 

I know most are against any supplements, but I'm not.  I am deficient in many areas, potassium/magnesium for one for being ill for so long, and not being able to eat much for 2 yrs in tolerance W/D.  I eat whatever I want, I let my body tell me what it needs.  If I hadn't taken these steps to heal myself, I most likely would be protracted for a very long time.

Thanks again, MG

Oh my.  I hadn't heard of benzo belly  :o  -- I've gone to the ER for what sounds like this and had a CT scan -- :-X  it's a tightening of the muscles, right?  It started at about 3 months out...  And big bloating.  I was dx with ms about 10 years ago thought the dx was contradicted by another neuro who said it wasn't ms and didn't know what it was...  so I've been depressed thinking I probably do have ms -- BUT it sounds like benzo belly.  This is better news, right?  Thanks for posting everyone....  :)

Oh my.  I hadn't heard of benzo belly  :o  -- I've gone to the ER for what sounds like this and had a CT scan -- :-X  it's a tightening of the muscles, right?  It started at about 3 months out...  And big bloating.  I was dx with ms about 10 years ago thought the dx was contradicted by another neuro who said it wasn't ms and didn't know what it was...  so I've been depressed thinking I probably do have ms -- BUT it sounds like benzo belly.  This is better news, right?  Thanks for posting everyone....  :)

Hi BF  :thumbsup:  benzos withdrawal often gets mistaken for MS. plus a million other ''illnesses''  ::) I was misdiagnosed with practically everything except death as are a lot of BB :sick: Hope the info below puts your mind at rest. :)

Love Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

ADVERSE  EFFECTS  OF PROLONGED  BENZODIAZEPINE  USE by Dr Heather Ashton http://www.benzosupport.org/adverse__effects_of_prolonged__benzo_use.htm

''Neurological symptoms include episodes of paraesthesiae and numbness, tremor, muscle pains, stiffness, weakness and fasciculation, ataxia, and blurred or double vision—a symptom cluster which occasionally leads to the mistaken diagnosis of multiple sclerosis'' 

This is crazy...I thought I was getting fat - always been athletic build wise. Great explanations of what is going on and why...I get the BEST answers on this site! Definitely helps to have others going through this insanity with me-

J

My best to all.  Pattylu

Pattylu,

One thing I've known but really learned personally is how different our bodies are.  I try one thing at a time.  Like Lemon Balm, it calms down most, but it ramped me up.  The turmeric is great for me, it's anti-inflammatory properties are what I need.  Also it helps with the rebound hypertension I'm going through tapering off Clonidine.  All the supplements/herbs I'm taking are 'custom made' for me.  While they work for me, they may not others.  Being an herbal healer, I've tried many throughout this process, and attribute it to my fast healing finding the ones that do help. 

I know most are against any supplements, but I'm not.  I am deficient in many areas, potassium/magnesium for one for being ill for so long, and not being able to eat much for 2 yrs in tolerance W/D.  I eat whatever I want, I let my body tell me what it needs.  If I hadn't taken these steps to heal myself, I most likely would be protracted for a very long time.

Thanks again, MG

Hi MG,

Sorry for the delay, haven't been online as have computer problems... Yes, you are correct, how everyone bodies are different and how they react.  Being a herbal healer, you have a grasp on things that so many don't have with your knowledge.  That is the difference, you have the knowledge.  I'm grateful you have had success with what you know, with your knowledge and listening to your system and what helps or doesn't.  Then again, most don't have that knowledge.  Continued healing to you as it does happen for one and all..

I commented on another thread about this. I normally have a flat stomach and last week I looked as if I was 16 weeks pregnant. It was worse after eating. What I would recommend is to try to stay away from carbs and sugar and drink lots of water  One week later it seems to have abated.

[d5...]

PattyLu,

I received my cocokefir today  :thumbsup:  I took just 1/4tsp.  How long did your hubby and others take that amount, what was the schedule for increasing it?  did they experience bloating, gas etc while starting it?  Anything to help me do this right is appreciated.

Thanks, MG :smitten: