U.S. NIH Clinical Trial: "Gabapentin Treatment of Benzodiazepine Dependence"

[La...]

It appears that this National Institutes of Health clinical trial is currently underway, and results should be available in December 2015.

Here's the summary:

"Benzodiazepine dependence is a growing public health problem for which very few evidenced-based treatment approaches are available. Approximately 683,000 individuals met past year criteria for sedative-hypnotic use disorders in the US during 2010, a prevalence greater than heroin or methamphetamine dependence. The most commonly prescribed sedative-hypnotic agents are the benzodiazepines. Chronic use induces pharmacodynamic tolerance in the GABA neurotransmitter system and individuals with physiological dependence find benzodiazepines difficult to discontinue because of withdrawal or rebound symptoms, which include autonomic arousal, depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Available evidence-based treatment approaches have been primarily directed at therapeutic users of benzodiazepines who do not meet criteria for a substance use disorder, with a general consensus that the gradual taper of benzodiazepines over a period of several months is the optimal approach. However, patients with benzodiazepine dependence are typically referred for inpatient detoxification treatment, which rapidly tapers patients off benzodiazepines. Protracted withdrawal symptoms frequently persist after discharge, predisposing patients to relapse. More effective pharmacotherapeutic strategies are needed for the treatment of benzodiazepine dependence in the outpatient setting."

Here's the link:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01893632

Interesting.

Just a short term study again!  >:(

Wish long term follow up studies were done. 

LF

I also noted that the rate of reduction of benzodiazepines in this trial should be 25% per week, which seems very fast.

Yes, I spotted that too.  >:( >:(>:(

I am sure they will get plenty of recruits.

I just wonder what will happen.