rehabs.com article, Oct. 2014: "How Worried Should We Be About Benzos?"

[La...]

Lapis, you're extremely well read. Have you come across anything that would indicate if the risk for dementia goes down once you get off benzos? Could it be like smoking--that as years accumulate after quitting the effects start to reverse (not completely, I know)?

Hi MTfan,

I'm not sure that there's anything definitive. But there doesn't seem to be any benefit from staying on benzos for long periods of time, and there are many risks, as we've seen and experienced.

That's for sure, Lapis. I'd just love some evidence that my brain function will recover and I can overcome the risk. Considering neurogenesis and neuroplasticity, it would make sense that it's possible. I want to believe :)

Oh, MTfan, you should definitely believe that! Just have a look at the Ashton Manual again. There's quite a bit of positive info there about how things change over time.

Yes, and the Success Stories offer much hope too. There are some wonderful examples of how people heal there.  :)

My pleasure, Ins. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this one, once you've had a chance to read it.

The comment section of this article is depressing.  Not one person commenting has a clue as to what can happen. They think it only happens to "drug addicts"

Yeah, the comments are "interesting", aren't they? Almost painful to read. I can guarantee you that if anyone starts to experience relentless dizziness from the benzos, they won't like them as much anymore. The vestibular system can be suppressed by these drugs, and it can take a very long time for that to resolve once you finally do get off them.

There are so many risks with benzos and very few benefits in taking them long term, but if people are making informed choices, then that's what matters. It's up to them.

The comment section of this article is depressing.  Not one person commenting has a clue as to what can happen. They think it only happens to "drug addicts"

I just noticed that too! Every single in of them is talking about how great the benzos are, and that the people wih problems are the ones that are addicts.

I've read about this type of thing a lot. One of the difficulties doctors face if they DO suggest decreasing or stopping the prescription is that people resist it. They don't WANT to get off benzos. It's a sad situation, since they're clearly dependent. The prefer drug dependence over any other alternative.

That's for sure, Lapis. I'd just love some evidence that my brain function will recover and I can overcome the risk. Considering neurogenesis and neuroplasticity, it would make sense that it's possible. I want to believe :)

I was just reading the reviews of Dr. Norman Doidge's new book called "The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity", and I thought of you. I read his first book and loved it. Fascinating and hopeful. This second book looks to be just as compelling. I know we all need to be reminded that the brain can heal so I'm putting this one on my book list.

Lapis-Thanks for starting this thread. I was able to get my Aunt (who is 74 years old) to stop taking Xanax.

My Aunt was originally on Xanax for many years and she went off of it when she was 50 years old. She was currently taking Xanax for 3 months (literally a crumb). She went off of it c/t 3 weeks ago and never had one s/x. I'm happy that she listened to me. She kept insisting how Xanax is a great drug however I told her it should only be used for short term. My Aunt does suffer from anxiety however she is looking into CBT now.

Really, it's so good to hear that someone in her 70s has chosen a non-drug route. I know it's not possible for everyone to get off benzos, but it's certainly something to celebrate when someone does.  Good for her and good for you, AF!