KevinMD.com - "Stop Prescribing Benzodiazepines for Anxiety"

[Se...]

Found this today.  Well worth reading the 180 cpmments that follow the article.  Eye opening, the word is still not out.

This blogsite is read mostly by physicians and allied health professionals.  It actually is an interesting blog aggregator site, one that I keep on my blog roll.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/06/stop-prescribing-benzodiazepines-anxiety.html

:smitten:

SeekingSanity

Holy cow (Big sigh...) I read the 180 comments. I reprint two below.

One brave woman said...For me, I just had to work it all out, rather than use drug after drug.

(30 years of panic attacks. She got slammed for her comments.)

This one is from a PSYCHIATRIST: If anything Benzo's are under-prescribed. Notwithstanding the value of the SSRI's, and presynaptic Gabaminergic enhancers like valproate and lamotragine, nothing has yet been shown to be as effective as the Benzodiazepines in rapidly switching down an overactivated Sympathetic Nervous System.

As far as abuse and dependence is concerned, for that minority group one has to communicate and caution patients about this risk. An attempt should be made to shift to longer -acting Benzo's in patients with chronic anxiety.

What concerns me is that physicians are not prescribing Benzo's because of Big-Brother regulations. I think that's more a result of conditioning. If you can demonstrate that you are within guidelines of safe practice standards Benzo's

are effective, inexpensive, and relatively non-toxic. Buspar is a placebo, and "stress kills".

("minority group?" nontoxic???)

Thanks for posting this. It's very enlightening as to the mindset of what we are dealing with out there, and makes me even more determined to be done with this crazy system once and for all!

Sydney

Yes, Sydney.  Not all psychiatrists are like this but so many are.  Frightening and has to change.

I love Dr. Mickey Nardo and others of his ilk.  Mad In America has others like Dr. Sandra Steingard.  They are starting to speak out.  We need to keep the pressure on and tell our side of the story.  Word has to get out, starting with each of us.

Good on you for taking steps in your own life!

SeekingSanity

Found this today.  Well worth reading the 180 cpmments that follow the article.  Eye opening, the word is still not out.

This blogsite is read mostly by physicians and allied health professionals.  It actually is an interesting blog aggregator site, one that I keep on my blog roll.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/06/stop-prescribing-benzodiazepines-anxiety.html

:smitten:

SeekingSanity

Good one SS, thank you. Changing prescribing practises

is the solution to the problem I think.... :)

This one is from a PSYCHIATRIST: If anything Benzo's are under-prescribed. Notwithstanding the value of the SSRI's, and presynaptic Gabaminergic enhancers like valproate and lamotragine, nothing has yet been shown to be as effective as the Benzodiazepines in rapidly switching down an overactivated Sympathetic Nervous System.

As far as abuse and dependence is concerned, for that minority group one has to communicate and caution patients about this risk. An attempt should be made to shift to longer -acting Benzo's in patients with chronic anxiety.

What concerns me is that physicians are not prescribing Benzo's because of Big-Brother regulations. I think that's more a result of conditioning. If you can demonstrate that you are within guidelines of safe practice standards Benzo's

are effective, inexpensive, and relatively non-toxic. Buspar is a placebo, and "stress kills".

("minority group?" nontoxic???)

This comment makes me sick to my stomach. And how many more out there think this way but don't say? :crazy:

[d1...]
Probably a pharmaceutical rep. As the longer acting benzo's such as Xanax XR have not gone generic.

Probably a pharmaceutical rep. As the longer acting benzo's such as Xanax XR have not gone generic.

I didn't think of that. Those people are lurking everywhere, just like Scientologists. I have to wonder why the XR version is not generic yet?