My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!

[bo...]

I want to just put out MY EXPERIENCE.. so that people can use it to help themselves in ways they think is appropriate..

I read KevKev's post about how hydrocodone syrup helped him.. well I remember it had helped me before but I was still detoxing so it didn't work all the way.

Now that I have been clean for 5 months... I tried one teaspoon of it last night and my anxiety just went away!! I have had this

annoying/peristent anxiety/pain in my chest for months and it has been AWFUL at times...

Well it has been a day and I am still feeling great. I have not taken any more syrup... I think the way these opiates work is

that they are analgesics and they take away inflammation/pain...

Sometimes I think, are anxiety is actually pain and other 'weird' feelings around our body that we can assume is anxiety.

Pure anxiety is actually when your blood pressure/heart rate is elevated.

I am able to put a seat belt on my chest now and wear tight closed shirts... before I had to wear button down shirts since

if anything touched my chest.. I would feel very anxious/uncomfortable... And it sucked!

Well this is MY EXPERIENCE.. and again no one is advocating a new drug addiction. One or two teaspoons of cough syrup with codeine

will NOT make you an addict... unless you were addicting to opiates before....in which case caution must be exercised.

Well this is MY EXPERIENCE.. and again no one is advocating a new drug addiction. One or two teaspoons of cough syrup with codeine

will NOT make you an addict... unless you were addicting to opiates before....in which case caution must be exercised.

If one has a history of opiate addiction, you can not tell them to use an opiate with caution! An addict must abstain from their substance of addiction, not use it with caution. I'm not saying there aren't cases where one with a history of addiction has no choice but to use an opiate under a doctors care, such as severe intractable pain for which there is no other option.  But not for benzo withdrawal symtoms such as anxiety and muscle aches.

And an all-or-nothing statement such as 'one or two teaspoons will NOT make you an addict' is also irresponsible. You have no idea how someone will react to one dose. Please Boyinhtown, use more caution in your posting.

Hi Boy, I just want to add that a very good friend of mine couldn't work and deal with benzo w/d symptoms of what he saw as incurable anxiety so he started taking opiates for his anxiety. It turned out very badly for him. In the end he wound up having to quit his job and he is still house bound after four years with now very severe depression and has facial tics. It seems like maybe opiates can cause a much more serious and long term condition especially to the post benzo brain. I can honestly say he would give anything to not have tried any short cuts. :-\

I have never heard of anyone becoming addicted after one teaspoon of hydrocodeine syrup especially after 5 months of being clean.

Opiates hit different receptors.. opiod receptors... different than what benzo's do.

Just thought I'd mention that.

I have never heard of anyone becoming addicted after one teaspoon of hydrocodeine syrup

How do you think addicts become addicts? It starts with the first taste. I"m not saying this is a likely scenario, but you were making an absolute statement that it will NOT happen.

especially after 5 months of being clean.

An opiate addict is an addict whether they are clean for 1 week or 10 years.

You were suggesting that one with a history of opiate addiction can use opiates with caution. This is false except under extreme cases which I have explained in another post to you. 

Hi Boy, how I understood the problem for my friend is that opiates hit dopamine receptors and even though benzos don't directly effect dopamine and opiates don't directly effect GABA receptor's they do share sub units. One of the most severe consequences of benzodiazepines can be movement disorders and tardiv dyskenia or however you spell it do to dopamine shutting down from benzo damage. Dopamine does effect mood as well. This is what began the mood dysfunction for my friend. I'm not really even thinking about preventing addiction just preventing further damage to receptors. :(

I know I'm in the minority here but he was mainly telling what happened to his anxiety when he took cough syrup with codeine.  It's not like he popped an oxycontin.  Many of his other statements - you won't get addicted after a few teaspoons - surely needed to be refuted but I really don't see his posts as encouraging people to take opiates in general. 

me and boyinhtown were NOT suggesting opiates for benzo withdraw.  he stated that he hasnt had a benzo in months and im a few years clean.  the opiates just seem to help with stopping the post withdraw anxiety symtoms.  i dont see why we should stop sharing with others what has helped us get our anxiety lvls to near 0.  i havent been abusing the opiates and neither did boyinhtown, we just took a few doses and for some reason it really did help get our anxiety down to managable lvls.  i hope you all can understand this and see where we are coming from, we do not promote taking pills and/or drugs to help with things.  just happend to stumble upon this seemingly miracle cure for POST withdraw anxiety.  like i said before, i would never recommend anyone taking opiates while still taking/withdrawing from benzos.

I am a drug and alcohol certified therapist and opiate addiction is the most insidious and crippling addiction. It makes benzo addiction look like a walk in the park.opiate addicts are addicts for life.

wow, opiate addiction worse than a benzo addiction?  thats hard to understand, not saying your wrong samantha, but wow,  thats hard to imagine.  i always thought that when you come off of opiates you have a bad week or two. seems with benzos you have a bad 6 months+.  im probably wrong (due to never being hooked on an opiate.)      ;D

Opiate addiction is horribly painful and it takes the opiate receptors a year to heal if your lucky. Most people do not have any luck also staying off opiates is not so likely unless there is anagonist therapy like methadone or suboxone. The probability of opiate addicts not picking up again is high unless they follow up w preventitive treatment.its a big monkey on someones back usually for life

Also yes opiate wd may be shorter than benzo wd but the disease itself is usually a lifelong battle for most.

me and boyinhtown were NOT suggesting opiates for benzo withdraw.  he stated that he hasnt had a benzo in months and im a few years clean.   the opiates just seem to help with stopping the post withdraw anxiety symtoms.  i dont see why we should stop sharing with others what has helped us get our anxiety lvls to near 0.   i havent been abusing the opiates and neither did boyinhtown, we just took a few doses and for some reason it really did help get our anxiety down to managable lvls.  i hope you all can understand this and see where we are coming from, we do not promote taking pills and/or drugs to help with things.  just happend to stumble upon this seemingly miracle cure for POST withdraw anxiety.  like i said before, i would never recommend anyone taking opiates while still taking/withdrawing from benzos.

You don't get it, do you!? I've not been following your posts, but I have noticed all the posts from boyinhtown (in the past hour or so in particular, and over the past day) that are promoting opiates as (to use your words) a 'miracle cure' for benzo withdrawal symptoms. Opiates induce a feeling of euphoria - how is this any kind of news? Our members are having trouble quitting benzos - stop waxing lyrical about opiates. This is a benzo-withdrawal support group, that's all.

Discussion of opiates as an aid to suppress benzo-withdrawal effects stops here.

I know I'm in the minority here but he was mainly telling what happened to his anxiety when he took cough syrup with codeine.  It's not like he popped an oxycontin.  Many of his other statements - you won't get addicted after a few teaspoons - surely needed to be refuted but I really don't see his posts as encouraging people to take opiates in general.  

Beeper, perhaps you are unaware, but Boyinhtown has made many posts to the forum in the past hour or two promoting opiates as some kind of holy grail of benzo withdrawal. Opiates make people feel good - this is hardly news. Opiates are highly addictive and damaging - hardly news either, but this is somehow lost upon some people.

Samantha, I am sure being a drug and alcohol therapist, you have seen many many addicts that yes can have a lifetime of trouble when it comes to getting clean etc.

But as far as which ones are more difficult to come off of, I'm sorry but I having done many psychotropics myself, and opiates. These benzos are the most difficult and destructive things to get off of period. It's a well documented fact if you do the proper research, as there are a lot more people that do cannot get off of these things than do, and become suicidal to the point of taking their lives. I don't know how long you've been taking these things, but another point to be taken also is the longer you've been on these, the worse you're chances are for coming off, and the worse the suffering is when coming off when doing it to rapidly also.

I'd do 1000 opiate detoxes, instead of doing a benzo w/d anyday. At least there's help out there for those on opiates, and there are many people that can get off of these things and not have to take methadone the rest of their lives. It is also documented that benzo w/d is harder to go through than heroin, being in that in the same way as opiates, you can get help to ease some of these w/d's and be fine a couple weeks later.

Not all people that take opiates are addicts in anyway. They're used for pain management. And usually if they are on them for pain management, a benzo is also in the mix. This is where it becomes again, way easier to get off of the opiate than a flippin benzo. Benzos shouldn't even continue being made in this day and age, but thanks to pharma, this problem is becoming epidemic and is a huge cause of why the health system is so clogged up now which is also well known but pharma and the FDA continue to keep it all so secretive due to being in the business of making money and not making people healthy.

I agree opiate addiction and use is horrid. All my patients who ended up dying of overdose were opiate addicts. It is a horrible addiction. It shouldn't even be spoken about lightly. It has damaged peoples lifes all which could have just started from a teaspoon of cough syrup

I'd do 1000 opiate detoxes, instead of doing a benzo w/d anyday. At least there's help out there for those on opiates, and there are many people that can get off of these things and not have to take methadone the rest of their lives. It is also documented that benzo w/d is harder to go through than heroin, being in that in the same way as opiates, you can get help to ease some of these w/d's and be fine a couple weeks later.

Hi Skooter,

Of course I understand that some people manage their use of opiates very well, and they are a very useful group of drugs. And, some people do testify that they found withdrawal from benzos tougher than herion. So what? This is not some kind of competition! There are also large numbers of people that withdraw from large doses of benzos without a problem. We don't hear from them because they need no help.

Not all people that take opiates are addicts in anyway. They're used for pain management. And usually if they are on them for pain management, a benzo is also in the mix. This is where it becomes again, way easier to get off of the opiate than a flippin benzo. Benzos shouldn't even continue being made in this day and age, but thanks to pharma, this problem is becoming epidemic and is a huge cause of why the health system is so clogged up now which is also well known but pharma and the FDA continue to keep it all so secretive due to being in the business of making money and not making people healthy.

Skooter, it is not any kind of competition as to which drug is harder to quit. This argument is ridiculous.

The bigger problem I have with this thread (and some other recent threads on this forum) is that they paint a rather rosy picture of opiate use, and suggest that opiates are some kind of panacea for benzo-withdrawal symptoms - they are not. I mean it - this discussion stops here.

Wow,

this is what I mean about taking things the wrong way.

So you're saying that benzos aren't taking lives, nor taking peoples lives away from losing careers, houses, family and more??? Making people housebound, paranoid, debilitated and so much more, and if they seek out medical help, they're refered to the legal pill pushers in the medical profession, and that's where the real fun begins. Getting the false d/x's and being handed so many psychotropics they land up in the psych wards etc. This is a far bigger problem than I think maybe you are unaware of.

I am not sure you have any idea how bad the benzo tolerance and w/d problem is out there in the world yet, seeing as you're comments continue to be how bad it is with the other addictions. Perhaps you should do some research, more reading on the forums of how much people have lost from having this tolerance and w/d problem. Which brings me to a question. Since being a therapist with addictions, do you council people that have benzo tolerance, and are in protracted withdrawal syndrome at all?? Just curious as it seems all you're knowledge is about opiates and alcohol.

I have never given advice to anyone about how to do their withdrawal except take it slower.

I have never pushed about how wonderful a drug is either, as I have zero tolerance for the pharma industry anymore and as most here should know by now.

Once again I see how things are being blown out of proportion with a thread on a discussion.

When there are other people out there getting hurt in so many ways, and I'm sure you know what this one is about Colin, and yet you don't do anything about that. All I've even done here is be supportive, and do my damdest to keep my cool about above mentioned topic. So instead of making a big fuss about a simple discussion, why aren't you protecting your members from continually being hurt, over and over as even this person has claimed to have done themselves??? A person hurting so bad such as Lynnie, and nothings done. People are in such a vulnerable, sensitive, fragile state going through this hell, and yet nothing gets done, but a two week repremand from chat, so you know just how this  person is yourself, and yet you refuse to take any action about that. Instead focusing on a harmless discussion, which again when I do take one on, I've always got my facts behind me for proof. I think enough people have been hurt and this in itself needs to be stopped.

This is very important:

The real question that Colin, Eljay, and Hawkeye have failed to answer is Why so many past benzo users like me

and others around the internet are reporting anxiety reduction or total dissapearance by using cough syrup with opiates?

They keep bashing people they dont agree with but dont try to find out the logic or science behind what might

have led to opiates working for others.

That is a disservice to  every drug recovering patient in in the world.

No matter how much they try to twist my words, the fact is it WORKED FOR ME.

Everyone is free to try that on their own if they want too.

Eljay,

I am glad you Serroquel was able to help you when you NEEDED IT THE MOST.

By putting that on your signature line at the bottom, you are telling us that it is safe and appropriate to use.

Well if we are to apply your logic towards things, than Serroquel is actually a very dangerous psychiatric drug.

Suicides have been reported and also ADDICTION. Serroquel is VERY ADDICTIVE.... so here is my point:

Things work for some people like the Serroquel did for you and others might not like it for whatever reason.

Same with opiates. Opiates have analgesic properties and you need to reply back with a scientific explanation.

Not general mumbo jumbo about how it is dangerous... well we are all DYING TO HEAR how my being anxiety free

is DANGEROUS? Please use scientific explanations and if you can't find any, than keep the bashing to yourself.

If you can use SERROQUEL.... people can use cough syrup with opiates such as codeine to try to treat their anxiety.

Wow,

this is what I mean about taking things the wrong way.

So you're saying that benzos aren't taking lives, nor taking peoples lives away from losing careers, houses, family and more??? Making people housebound, paranoid, debilitated and so much more, and if they seek out medical help, they're refered to the legal pill pushers in the medical profession, and that's where the real fun begins. Getting the false d/x's and being handed so many psychotropics they land up in the psych wards etc. This is a far bigger problem than I think maybe you are unaware of.

Huh, how did you ever arrive at me saying anything like this?

For the record, benzos are massively over-prescribed, routinely prescribed for too long, and the pharmaceutical industry has a vested interest in hiding studies that are detrimental to sales. Although some doctors appear to be cavalier in their prescribing habits (many still prescribe benzos against guidelines in the UK), they are also (or have been) bombarded with positive messages from the pharmaceutical industry. This does not excuse failures to keep up with official guidelines, but it would be a stretch to expect GPs to make their own independent studies of all the drugs they prescribe, and then prescribe against official guidelines if they found their own conclusions at variance with the guidelines.

Benzos cause huge problems for huge numbers of people - I have not indicated otherwise.

I am not sure you have any idea how bad the benzo tolerance and w/d problem is out there in the world yet, seeing as you're comments continue to be how bad it is with the other addictions. Perhaps you should do some research, more reading on the forums of how much people have lost from having this tolerance and w/d problem. Which brings me to a question. Since being a therapist with addictions, do you council people that have benzo tolerance, and are in protracted withdrawal syndrome at all?? Just curious as it seems all you're knowledge is about opiates and alcohol.

Skooter, I withdrew from a high dose of Clonazepam - I need no lessons. However, you need to keep a sense of perspective. There is no doubt that very many people suffer terribly from benzo side and withdrawal effects. And, of course, I read my own forum. BUT, we are a self-selecting group. That is, only those that suffer problems will seek us out. Those that suffer few problems have no reason to visit us. How do you, by reading this forum (and other benzo forums) quantify how many people take and quit benzos with few problems? The problem with benzos are huge, of course, but huge numbers of people withdraw without recourse to join a support group too. What are the proportions? I don't know, I really don't. But do not base your conclusions upon a self-selecting group - this is statistically irrelevant, and is akin to what the pharmaceutical industry does by leaving out the 'bad' studies from their statistics.

I take issue with the value of comparing one class or drugs with another: i.e., from which is it tougher to withdraw? It is a pointless discussion. We help people with benzo withdrawal problems, that is all. People can discus their own experiences, but waxing lyrical about not feeling bad while taking opiates (hardly a shocker), and suggesting to others that opiates is the way to get off benzos, is totally irresponsible. How is replacing one addiction for another helpful? And before you again start going on about opiates not being as 'bad' - this is your own personal opinion. You should bare in mind that it could be argued that most of our members already have addiction problems - even if their only experience of addiction is with benzos after taking them as prescribed by their doctors. I will not allow the promotion of other addictive substances as some kind of benzo withdrawal panacea on this forum.

And please, stop putting words in my mouth.

Edit: I see that the post I quoted from Scooter was probably directed towards Samantha. Still, my points stand.

I have never given advice to anyone about how to do their withdrawal except take it slower.

I have never pushed about how wonderful a drug is either, as I have zero tolerance for the pharma industry anymore and as most here should know by now.

Once again I see how things are being blown out of proportion with a thread on a discussion.

When there are other people out there getting hurt in so many ways, and I'm sure you know what this one is about Colin, and yet you don't do anything about that. All I've even done here is be supportive, and do my damdest to keep my cool about above mentioned topic. So instead of making a big fuss about a simple discussion, why aren't you protecting your members from continually being hurt, over and over as even this person has claimed to have done themselves??? A person hurting so bad such as Lynnie, and nothings done. People are in such a vulnerable, sensitive, fragile state going through this hell, and yet nothing gets done, but a two week repremand from chat, so you know just how this  person is yourself, and yet you refuse to take any action about that. Instead focusing on a harmless discussion, which again when I do take one on, I've always got my facts behind me for proof. I think enough people have been hurt and this in itself needs to be stopped.

Skooter,

A discussion about which class of drugs is worse is pointless. We would be comparing apples with oranges.

My main gripe with this thread are the comments (not from you) that are promoting opiates as an aid to benzo withdrawal. I wish to read no more commants promoting opiates as helping with benzo withdrawal!

We act upon the information we have and which is presented to us. I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about in the above - you should send a PM to one of the team if you have concerns about the welfare of particular member. You are way off-topic here.

This is very important:

The real question that Colin, Eljay, and Hawkeye have failed to answer is Why so many past benzo users like me

and others around the internet are reporting anxiety reduction or total dissapearance by using cough syrup with opiates?

They keep bashing people they dont agree with but dont try to find out the logic or science behind what might

have led to opiates working for others.

That is a disservice to  every drug recovering patient in in the world.

No matter how much they try to twist my words, the fact is it WORKED FOR ME.

Everyone is free to try that on their own if they want too.

Look, it is irrelevant how well some people might feel using opiates to disguise benzo withdrawal effects. They are at serious risk of replacing one addiction for another. Additionally, even if their doctor was foolish enough to prescribe an opiate for them to take during withdrawal and/or recovery, what do you think would be the likely consequence if their doctor stopped prescribing the opiate? Would they not try to seek a replacement? Where might they seek this replacement.

I'll put this another way: I own the forum - stop all discussion of using opiates as an aid to benzo withdrawal.