Author Topic: My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!  (Read 12015 times)

[Buddie]

Re: My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 09:39:05 am »
This is very important:

The real question that [...], [...], and Hawkeye have failed to answer is Why so many past benzo users like me
and others around the internet are reporting anxiety reduction or total dissapearance by using cough syrup with opiates?

They keep bashing people they dont agree with but dont try to find out the logic or science behind what might
have led to opiates working for others.

That is a disservice to  every drug recovering patient in in the world.

No matter how much they try to twist my words, the fact is it WORKED FOR ME.

Everyone is free to try that on their own if they want too.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 10:09:09 am »
[...],

I am glad you Serroquel was able to help you when you NEEDED IT THE MOST.

By putting that on your signature line at the bottom, you are telling us that it is safe and appropriate to use.

Well if we are to apply your logic towards things, than Serroquel is actually a very dangerous psychiatric drug.

Suicides have been reported and also ADDICTION. Serroquel is VERY ADDICTIVE.... so here is my point:

Things work for some people like the Serroquel did for you and others might not like it for whatever reason.

Same with opiates. Opiates have analgesic properties and you need to reply back with a scientific explanation.
Not general mumbo jumbo about how it is dangerous... well we are all DYING TO HEAR how my being anxiety free
is DANGEROUS? Please use scientific explanations and if you can't find any, than keep the bashing to yourself.

If you can use SERROQUEL.... people can use cough syrup with opiates such as codeine to try to treat their anxiety.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 11:05:21 am »
Wow,

this is what I mean about taking things the wrong way.

So you're saying that benzos aren't taking lives, nor taking peoples lives away from losing careers, houses, family and more??? Making people housebound, paranoid, debilitated and so much more, and if they seek out medical help, they're refered to the legal pill pushers in the medical profession, and that's where the real fun begins. Getting the false d/x's and being handed so many psychotropics they land up in the psych wards etc. This is a far bigger problem than I think maybe you are unaware of.

Huh, how did you ever arrive at me saying anything like this?

For the record, benzos are massively over-prescribed, routinely prescribed for too long, and the pharmaceutical industry has a vested interest in hiding studies that are detrimental to sales. Although some doctors appear to be cavalier in their prescribing habits (many still prescribe benzos against guidelines in the UK), they are also (or have been) bombarded with positive messages from the pharmaceutical industry. This does not excuse failures to keep up with official guidelines, but it would be a stretch to expect GPs to make their own independent studies of all the drugs they prescribe, and then prescribe against official guidelines if they found their own conclusions at variance with the guidelines.

Benzos cause huge problems for huge numbers of people - I have not indicated otherwise.

I am not sure you have any idea how bad the benzo tolerance and w/d problem is out there in the world yet, seeing as you're comments continue to be how bad it is with the other addictions. Perhaps you should do some research, more reading on the forums of how much people have lost from having this tolerance and w/d problem. Which brings me to a question. Since being a therapist with addictions, do you council people that have benzo tolerance, and are in protracted withdrawal syndrome at all?? Just curious as it seems all you're knowledge is about opiates and alcohol.

[...], I withdrew from a high dose of Clonazepam - I need no lessons. However, you need to keep a sense of perspective. There is no doubt that very many people suffer terribly from benzo side and withdrawal effects. And, of course, I read my own forum. BUT, we are a self-selecting group. That is, only those that suffer problems will seek us out. Those that suffer few problems have no reason to visit us. How do you, by reading this forum (and other benzo forums) quantify how many people take and quit benzos with few problems? The problem with benzos are huge, of course, but huge numbers of people withdraw without recourse to join a support group too. What are the proportions? I don't know, I really don't. But do not base your conclusions upon a self-selecting group - this is statistically irrelevant, and is akin to what the pharmaceutical industry does by leaving out the 'bad' studies from their statistics.

I take issue with the value of comparing one class or drugs with another: i.e., from which is it tougher to withdraw? It is a pointless discussion. We help people with benzo withdrawal problems, that is all. People can discus their own experiences, but waxing lyrical about not feeling bad while taking opiates (hardly a shocker), and suggesting to others that opiates is the way to get off benzos, is totally irresponsible. How is replacing one addiction for another helpful? And before you again start going on about opiates not being as 'bad' - this is your own personal opinion. You should bare in mind that it could be argued that most of our members already have addiction problems - even if their only experience of addiction is with benzos after taking them as prescribed by their doctors. I will not allow the promotion of other addictive substances as some kind of benzo withdrawal panacea on this forum.

And please, stop putting words in my mouth.

Edit: I see that the post I quoted from Scooter was probably directed towards [...]. Still, my points stand.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:36:38 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 11:12:52 am »
I have never given advice to anyone about how to do their withdrawal except take it slower.

I have never pushed about how wonderful a drug is either, as I have zero tolerance for the pharma industry anymore and as most here should know by now.

Once again I see how things are being blown out of proportion with a thread on a discussion.

When there are other people out there getting hurt in so many ways, and I'm sure you know what this one is about [...], and yet you don't do anything about that. All I've even done here is be supportive, and do my damdest to keep my cool about above mentioned topic. So instead of making a big fuss about a simple discussion, why aren't you protecting your members from continually being hurt, over and over as even this person has claimed to have done themselves??? A person hurting so bad such as Lynnie, and nothings done. People are in such a vulnerable, sensitive, fragile state going through this hell, and yet nothing gets done, but a two week repremand from chat, so you know just how this  person is yourself, and yet you refuse to take any action about that. Instead focusing on a harmless discussion, which again when I do take one on, I've always got my facts behind me for proof. I think enough people have been hurt and this in itself needs to be stopped.

[...],

A discussion about which class of drugs is worse is pointless. We would be comparing apples with oranges.

My main gripe with this thread are the comments (not from you) that are promoting opiates as an aid to benzo withdrawal. I wish to read no more commants promoting opiates as helping with benzo withdrawal!

We act upon the information we have and which is presented to us. I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about in the above - you should send a PM to one of the team if you have concerns about the welfare of particular member. You are way off-topic here.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 11:20:51 am »
This is very important:

The real question that [...], [...], and Hawkeye have failed to answer is Why so many past benzo users like me
and others around the internet are reporting anxiety reduction or total dissapearance by using cough syrup with opiates?

They keep bashing people they dont agree with but dont try to find out the logic or science behind what might
have led to opiates working for others.

That is a disservice to  every drug recovering patient in in the world.

No matter how much they try to twist my words, the fact is it WORKED FOR ME.

Everyone is free to try that on their own if they want too.

Look, it is irrelevant how well some people might feel using opiates to disguise benzo withdrawal effects. They are at serious risk of replacing one addiction for another. Additionally, even if their doctor was foolish enough to prescribe an opiate for them to take during withdrawal and/or recovery, what do you think would be the likely consequence if their doctor stopped prescribing the opiate? Would they not try to seek a replacement? Where might they seek this replacement.

I'll put this another way: I own the forum - stop all discussion of using opiates as an aid to benzo withdrawal.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
K Frankly [...], I don't care who runs or own the site. I am not asking for anything from you.
The internet is a vast resource and more detailed than your foum.  

And your forum is not a court of law. SO as to the post saying I need to accept 'rulings',
I just have to say that that sounds very childish and second honestly NO ONE cares on this site
about empty threats ( A lot of the members have strongly indicated such)

like that honestly don't affect anyone sitting a  thousands miles away from you Ok pal?

Now let me restate this clearly , just as Kevkev put it nicely, NO ONE is recommending using an addictive
drug such as opiates DURING tapering/withdrawal. Once your body is clean from those substances it is up to the
person what they wan't to do with their bodies. As we all know, differnt things work for different people.

Just because you run the your own site does not mean you can run other people lives which you know you can't.

This is not the FIRST example of one addictive class of drugs being used to help with issues with another class
of addictive drugs.

One GOOD example is : the use of Librium and benzo's to help alcoholics successfully wean themselves off of alcohol and detox them.

How do you explain that? Let me guess, your against that too.

This has been used on for decades with tens of thousands of patients. You are not a doctor [...] and neither is [...]. Let alone far from being
the supreme authority when it comes to benzo addiction and drugs.

Just as many people have noticed on here , and supported my free speech stance about being able to describe my OWN general experience and [...],
I would never wish for anyone to go through a bad addiction with any substance.

This is a benzo recovery site, not just for people going through withdrawals. Lingering sympoms such as anxiety are often even more debilatating
than the first few weeks of detox because of the time span involved. People who have detoxed successfully need help too.

[...], [...] and all:

This is really interesting. All of my posts are at the TOP of the viewing charts.

Because people wan't to see how other people have recovered or what their story was about
so that maybe they can learn from it in someway. They won't to see interesting new topics, not just breathe breathe breathe.

I have raised many interesting topics such as Vitamin D intake, Phenobarbital usage, the role opiates play in relieving anxiety
and inflammation...

Thousands of clinics across the US use phenobarbital. Yet our moderators go against medical advice and say stiflly that is barbaric.

What might be the best combination for a sucessful detox is tapering down using Valium, and that is if one can obtain a constant prescription,
and get down to a very small amount.....and than for the last straw take Phenobarbital to make sure a seizure does not pop up and also to control
panic attacks. Instead of making the last 5 or 10 mg of Valium linger on for months and months, which only alters your brain more and more,
it is advisable to stop benzo use ASAP. Not indulge in it as some luxury as some people have recommended.

Benzo's are what are dangerous to all of us. That is why were are here to begin with. It is best to seek advice from a qualified
addictionologist who understands the importance of taper but also knows how to wean you off that last drop which is easily done today
by Phenobarbital as was done to me.

Recommending Breathing as some anxiety cure will not work for anyone since it can't change brain alteration.
That is a temporary coping method.

I think breathing techniques are well known COMMON SENSE and an instintive reaction to stress.

Everyone else, please chime in. Lets get the true pulse of what people on here think
and have a free debate. Without constant noise of 'this is my site' .

NO ONE on here cares about that. The internet is a vast resource and this clearly is
not the only benzo forum for people to express their views.

Hi BIHT!  :D

I don't think [...], or any of the Admins feel that they are doctors, nor do I think they are trying to run anybody's lives. It is just that when you run a forum, you feel a responsibility to anyone who joins it, or even just reads through the posts, as a guest. When I signed up, I agreed to follow the rules that [...] instituted, and I hope I have done just that. If not, I hope he, or an Admin/Mod would PM me and tell me if I was doing anything against the rules. I have no problem with any of their rules, because I know that if I do not agree with them, I am free to find another site.

I do understand what you mean about various meds helping with anxiety. I also agree with you that deep breathing does NOT help every type of anxiety. I myself get anxiety that is NOT a panic attack, and no amount of deep breathing can alleviate it, because I am not breathing erratically, but am only breathing NORMALLY. So, as you said, deep breathing certainly will not help in my case with the type of anxiety I have.  :sick:

About the "opiates issue". I can understand you being interested in the "science" part of it. I too, find a lot of this interesting, and as for me, it doesn't scare me to read up on which benzo is "more binding", etc.  I am interested in the scientific facts, and would actually prefer to know them, as knowing what the facts are - helps me to worry less.

As far as opiates being discussed on this forum, I do have to admit I find myself "cringing" inside when others discuss how opiates worked for them.  It isn't that I think you are a "horrible person" for taking something to ease your anxiety, etc., etc.  Some of us DO get debilitating anxiety, and I am one of them, so I DO understand wanting to take something to ease that anxiety so that one can function. NOT to "feel good", but to be able to function normally.

However, like I said, I do find myself "cringing" inside.  And this is why:

There are so many extremely vulnerable people who are members of this forum, or who may just be guests, reading the various posts on this forum.  I agree with you, that not everyone gets addicted to opiates, and many can manage them wisely and can take meds as needed and as directed.

But, I think of those who are not only vulnerable, but who may NOT have the knowledge that you have regarding these types of medications.  I think of those who do NOT possess this knowledge, and who may also be at a stage where they are desperate. They may not be as strong as you are. They may find that they cannot stop taking opiates as easily as you can. Or like I said, they may not be aware of how addictive they can be.

This is why I believe [...] and various Admins/Mods feel so strongly about the subject you brought up; using opiates for anxiety after a benzo taper. [...] being the owner of the site, I can only imagine how responsible he feels.

True, each person as an individual IS in charge of their own taper, their own life, and in charge of what medication they choose to take or not to take. But I know that if I were running a forum like this, I would be very worried that the subject matter of opiates being taken for anxiety, etc., could very easily be misunderstood by anyone reading the posts.

Not knowing a reader's state of mind who logs onto this forum, I would not want to just take it for granted that a person would understand the "gist" of the posts about opiates, etc., and know when NOT to take them, and know NOT to get addicted to them. So many readers just may NOT know. Or, they may not be strong enough to STOP taking them, once they start.

It is for these readers that I cringe.  :-[

I DO see your interest in the "scientific" part of it, and I find it interesting, too. But, I also see how dangerous it can be to state certain things on an open forum like this, where vulnerable people, people who are recovering, people who are ill, come for help.

I don't know the answer to how to deal with this problem, except maybe just using the PMs to discuss it with those who want to, or maybe having a thread that is only visible to members. I really don't know how to deal with it (which is why I would never want to run a forum like this!)  :laugh:

I just know when I inwardly wince or cringe, like I mentioned, it's for a reason. I am wincing thinking of the miserable, desperate people reading these posts, tired of their symptoms, tired of waiting for their CNS to heal, tired of feeling miserable and wretched all the time.

It is those very people that I worry about reading posts about highly addictive medications being helpful to take - when they're recovering and still healing.

Does this make sense? I am not saying any of this to be rude at all. Nor am I judging anyone who does take an opiate or a sip of this or that, like you mentioned. I know each of us is so very different.

Still, on a forum where there are people recovering, because of the fact that they are indeed still recovering, I just think we need to be really careful what we say, and how it's said.  By that I mean that I can see why [...] has to have certain rules and guidelines.

I am sure that [...] finds the subject interesting himself, but because of those who are recovering like I mentioned above, he has to choose discretion over an interesting topic at times, because he has to think of the members' health and welfare, first.

Again, I'm not anti-med. I'm not thinking it's a horrible thing to mention your experience and what helped you. That isn't what I am trying to say.  I am just stating that I can see why this might be a dangerous topic to discuss on an open recovery forum, and I can understand why it might reach a point where [...] would have to intervene and put a stop to it.

Not because of any disagreements over whether or not an opiate can help anxiety after a benzo taper, not because it's "wrong" to take an opiate. But just simply because he has to take into account all the different types of people who read the posts on this forum; those who might misunderstand, those who are highly impressionable, those who don't possess a lot of medical knowledge, those who are desperate, etc., etc., etc.

I am glad you found something that seems to work well for you.  And if my post sounded pushy or rude, I do apologize!  :-\

[...]  :smitten:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:29:16 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 02:06:58 pm »

For the record I think this whole saga is totally ridiculous and won't comment any further on it but one thing I will say is seroquel is a non addictive substance. It simply is not. It is not a controlled substance and you do not need more to achieve desired affects. Yes as with any drug you should probably get off slowly as any body does get used to a certain chemical. There are two used for the drug. Off label for insomnia under 100 mg and above 100 mg for its antipsychotic properties. I just woke up from 12 uninterrupted hours of sleep after taking a tiny dose of it and it is the last thing I am worried about. I have done my research its non narcotic, and even a much better choice then ambien say for example which is addictive and habit forming.

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 03:37:25 pm »
ok ok ok ok,   wheres the opiatebuddies.org webpage?     ;D

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 07:30:44 am »

For the record I think this whole saga is totally ridiculous and won't comment any further on it but one thing I will say is seroquel is a non addictive substance. It simply is not. It is not a controlled substance and you do not need more to achieve desired affects. Yes as with any drug you should probably get off slowly as any body does get used to a certain chemical. There are two used for the drug. Off label for insomnia under 100 mg and above 100 mg for its antipsychotic properties. I just woke up from 12 uninterrupted hours of sleep after taking a tiny dose of it and it is the last thing I am worried about. I have done my research its non narcotic, and even a much better choice then ambien say for example which is addictive and habit forming.

It may not be addictive, but it does have serious, serious side effects, to the point that it was almost pulled off the market. And note that neither benzos nor opiates were pulled off.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 08:47:20 am »
oops.... long dead and buried thread I didn't need to reply to .

comment removed.