Author Topic: My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!  (Read 12014 times)

[Buddie]

Re: My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »
wow, opiate addiction worse than a benzo addiction?  thats hard to understand, not saying your wrong [...], but wow,  thats hard to imagine.   i always thought that when you come off of opiates you have a bad week or two. seems with benzos you have a bad 6 months+.   im probably wrong (due to never being hooked on an opiate.)       ;D
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11:19 pm »

Opiate addiction is horribly painful and it takes the opiate receptors a year to heal if your lucky. Most people do not have any luck also staying off opiates is not so likely unless there is anagonist therapy like methadone or suboxone. The probability of opiate addicts not picking up again is high unless they follow up w preventitive treatment.its a big monkey on someones back usually for life
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 09:14:29 pm »

Also yes opiate wd may be shorter than benzo wd but the disease itself is usually a lifelong battle for most.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 09:16:55 pm »
me and [...] were NOT suggesting opiates for benzo withdraw.  he stated that he hasnt had a benzo in months and im a few years clean.   the opiates just seem to help with stopping the post withdraw anxiety symtoms.  i dont see why we should stop sharing with others what has helped us get our anxiety lvls to near 0.   i havent been abusing the opiates and neither did [...], we just took a few doses and for some reason it really did help get our anxiety down to managable lvls.  i hope you all can understand this and see where we are coming from, we do not promote taking pills and/or drugs to help with things.  just happend to stumble upon this seemingly miracle cure for POST withdraw anxiety.  like i said before, i would never recommend anyone taking opiates while still taking/withdrawing from benzos.

You don't get it, do you!? I've not been following your posts, but I have noticed all the posts from [...] (in the past hour or so in particular, and over the past day) that are promoting opiates as (to use your words) a 'miracle cure' for benzo withdrawal symptoms. Opiates induce a feeling of euphoria - how is this any kind of news? Our members are having trouble quitting benzos - stop waxing lyrical about opiates. This is a benzo-withdrawal support group, that's all.

Discussion of opiates as an aid to suppress benzo-withdrawal effects stops here.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 09:24:37 pm »
I know I'm in the minority here but he was mainly telling what happened to his anxiety when he took cough syrup with codeine.  It's not like he popped an oxycontin.  Many of his other statements - you won't get addicted after a few teaspoons - surely needed to be refuted but I really don't see his posts as encouraging people to take opiates in general.  

[...], perhaps you are unaware, but [...] has made many posts to the forum in the past hour or two promoting opiates as some kind of holy grail of benzo withdrawal. Opiates make people feel good - this is hardly news. Opiates are highly addictive and damaging - hardly news either, but this is somehow lost upon some people.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »
[...], I am sure being a drug and alcohol therapist, you have seen many many addicts that yes can have a lifetime of trouble when it comes to getting clean etc.

But as far as which ones are more difficult to come off of, I'm sorry but I having done many psychotropics myself, and opiates. These benzos are the most difficult and destructive things to get off of period. It's a well documented fact if you do the proper research, as there are a lot more people that do cannot get off of these things than do, and become suicidal to the point of taking their lives. I don't know how long you've been taking these things, but another point to be taken also is the longer you've been on these, the worse you're chances are for coming off, and the worse the suffering is when coming off when doing it to rapidly also.

I'd do 1000 opiate detoxes, instead of doing a benzo w/d anyday. At least there's help out there for those on opiates, and there are many people that can get off of these things and not have to take methadone the rest of their lives. It is also documented that benzo w/d is harder to go through than heroin, being in that in the same way as opiates, you can get help to ease some of these w/d's and be fine a couple weeks later.

Not all people that take opiates are addicts in anyway. They're used for pain management. And usually if they are on them for pain management, a benzo is also in the mix. This is where it becomes again, way easier to get off of the opiate than a flippin benzo. Benzos shouldn't even continue being made in this day and age, but thanks to pharma, this problem is becoming epidemic and is a huge cause of why the health system is so clogged up now which is also well known but pharma and the FDA continue to keep it all so secretive due to being in the business of making money and not making people healthy.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 09:35:28 pm »
I agree opiate addiction and use is horrid. All my patients who ended up dying of overdose were opiate addicts. It is a horrible addiction. It shouldn't even be spoken about lightly. It has damaged peoples lifes all which could have just started from a teaspoon of cough syrup

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:10 pm »
I'd do 1000 opiate detoxes, instead of doing a benzo w/d anyday. At least there's help out there for those on opiates, and there are many people that can get off of these things and not have to take methadone the rest of their lives. It is also documented that benzo w/d is harder to go through than heroin, being in that in the same way as opiates, you can get help to ease some of these w/d's and be fine a couple weeks later.

Hi [...],

Of course I understand that some people manage their use of opiates very well, and they are a very useful group of drugs. And, some people do testify that they found withdrawal from benzos tougher than herion. So what? This is not some kind of competition! There are also large numbers of people that withdraw from large doses of benzos without a problem. We don't hear from them because they need no help.

Not all people that take opiates are addicts in anyway. They're used for pain management. And usually if they are on them for pain management, a benzo is also in the mix. This is where it becomes again, way easier to get off of the opiate than a flippin benzo. Benzos shouldn't even continue being made in this day and age, but thanks to pharma, this problem is becoming epidemic and is a huge cause of why the health system is so clogged up now which is also well known but pharma and the FDA continue to keep it all so secretive due to being in the business of making money and not making people healthy.

[...], it is not any kind of competition as to which drug is harder to quit. This argument is ridiculous.

The bigger problem I have with this thread (and some other recent threads on this forum) is that they paint a rather rosy picture of opiate use, and suggest that opiates are some kind of panacea for benzo-withdrawal symptoms - they are not. I mean it - this discussion stops here.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »
Wow,

this is what I mean about taking things the wrong way.

So you're saying that benzos aren't taking lives, nor taking peoples lives away from losing careers, houses, family and more??? Making people housebound, paranoid, debilitated and so much more, and if they seek out medical help, they're refered to the legal pill pushers in the medical profession, and that's where the real fun begins. Getting the false d/x's and being handed so many psychotropics they land up in the psych wards etc. This is a far bigger problem than I think maybe you are unaware of.

I am not sure you have any idea how bad the benzo tolerance and w/d problem is out there in the world yet, seeing as you're comments continue to be how bad it is with the other addictions. Perhaps you should do some research, more reading on the forums of how much people have lost from having this tolerance and w/d problem. Which brings me to a question. Since being a therapist with addictions, do you council people that have benzo tolerance, and are in protracted withdrawal syndrome at all?? Just curious as it seems all you're knowledge is about opiates and alcohol.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 10:09:15 pm »
I have never given advice to anyone about how to do their withdrawal except take it slower.

I have never pushed about how wonderful a drug is either, as I have zero tolerance for the pharma industry anymore and as most here should know by now.

Once again I see how things are being blown out of proportion with a thread on a discussion.

When there are other people out there getting hurt in so many ways, and I'm sure you know what this one is about [...], and yet you don't do anything about that. All I've even done here is be supportive, and do my damdest to keep my cool about above mentioned topic. So instead of making a big fuss about a simple discussion, why aren't you protecting your members from continually being hurt, over and over as even this person has claimed to have done themselves??? A person hurting so bad such as Lynnie, and nothings done. People are in such a vulnerable, sensitive, fragile state going through this hell, and yet nothing gets done, but a two week repremand from chat, so you know just how this  person is yourself, and yet you refuse to take any action about that. Instead focusing on a harmless discussion, which again when I do take one on, I've always got my facts behind me for proof. I think enough people have been hurt and this in itself needs to be stopped.