Author Topic: My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!  (Read 12016 times)

[Buddie]

My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:42:25 am »
I want to just put out MY EXPERIENCE.. so that people can use it to help themselves in ways they think is appropriate..

I read KevKev's post about how hydrocodone syrup helped him.. well I remember it had helped me before but I was still detoxing so it didn't work all the way.

Now that I have been clean for 5 months... I tried one teaspoon of it last night and my anxiety just went away!! I have had this
annoying/peristent anxiety/pain in my chest for months and it has been AWFUL at times...

Well it has been a day and I am still feeling great. I have not taken any more syrup... I think the way these opiates work is
that they are analgesics and they take away inflammation/pain...

Sometimes I think, are anxiety is actually pain and other 'weird' feelings around our body that we can assume is anxiety.

Pure anxiety is actually when your blood pressure/heart rate is elevated.

I am able to put a seat belt on my chest now and wear tight closed shirts... before I had to wear button down shirts since
if anything touched my chest.. I would feel very anxious/uncomfortable... And it sucked!

Well this is MY EXPERIENCE.. and again no one is advocating a new drug addiction. One or two teaspoons of cough syrup with codeine
will NOT make you an addict... unless you were addicting to opiates before....in which case caution must be exercised.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: My Anxiety is gone after I used codeine cough Syrup!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:00:31 pm »

Well this is MY EXPERIENCE.. and again no one is advocating a new drug addiction. One or two teaspoons of cough syrup with codeine
will NOT make you an addict... unless you were addicting to opiates before....in which case caution must be exercised.

If one has a history of opiate addiction, you can not tell them to use an opiate with caution! An addict must abstain from their substance of addiction, not use it with caution. I'm not saying there aren't cases where one with a history of addiction has no choice but to use an opiate under a doctors care, such as severe intractable pain for which there is no other option.  But not for benzo withdrawal symtoms such as anxiety and muscle aches.

And an all-or-nothing statement such as 'one or two teaspoons will NOT make you an addict' is also irresponsible. You have no idea how someone will react to one dose. Please [...], use more caution in your posting.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:52 pm »
Hi Boy, I just want to add that a very good friend of mine couldn't work and deal with benzo w/d symptoms of what he saw as incurable anxiety so he started taking opiates for his anxiety. It turned out very badly for him. In the end he wound up having to quit his job and he is still house bound after four years with now very severe depression and has facial tics. It seems like maybe opiates can cause a much more serious and long term condition especially to the post benzo brain. I can honestly say he would give anything to not have tried any short cuts. :-\

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:25:42 pm »
I have never heard of anyone becoming addicted after one teaspoon of hydrocodeine syrup especially after 5 months of being clean.

Opiates hit different receptors.. opiod receptors... different than what benzo's do.

Just thought I'd mention that.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:39:43 pm »
I have never heard of anyone becoming addicted after one teaspoon of hydrocodeine syrup

How do you think addicts become addicts? It starts with the first taste. I"m not saying this is a likely scenario, but you were making an absolute statement that it will NOT happen.

especially after 5 months of being clean.

An opiate addict is an addict whether they are clean for 1 week or 10 years.

You were suggesting that one with a history of opiate addiction can use opiates with caution. This is false except under extreme cases which I have explained in another post to you. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:42:26 pm »
Hi Boy, how I understood the problem for my friend is that opiates hit dopamine receptors and even though benzos don't directly effect dopamine and opiates don't directly effect GABA receptor's they do share sub units. One of the most severe consequences of benzodiazepines can be movement disorders and tardiv dyskenia or however you spell it do to dopamine shutting down from benzo damage. Dopamine does effect mood as well. This is what began the mood dysfunction for my friend. I'm not really even thinking about preventing addiction just preventing further damage to receptors. :(

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:56:39 pm »

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:18:30 pm »
I know I'm in the minority here but he was mainly telling what happened to his anxiety when he took cough syrup with codeine.  It's not like he popped an oxycontin.  Many of his other statements - you won't get addicted after a few teaspoons - surely needed to be refuted but I really don't see his posts as encouraging people to take opiates in general. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 08:31:15 pm »
me and [...] were NOT suggesting opiates for benzo withdraw.  he stated that he hasnt had a benzo in months and im a few years clean.   the opiates just seem to help with stopping the post withdraw anxiety symtoms.  i dont see why we should stop sharing with others what has helped us get our anxiety lvls to near 0.   i havent been abusing the opiates and neither did [...], we just took a few doses and for some reason it really did help get our anxiety down to managable lvls.  i hope you all can understand this and see where we are coming from, we do not promote taking pills and/or drugs to help with things.  just happend to stumble upon this seemingly miracle cure for POST withdraw anxiety.  like i said before, i would never recommend anyone taking opiates while still taking/withdrawing from benzos.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:10 pm »
I am a drug and alcohol certified therapist and opiate addiction is the most insidious and crippling addiction. It makes benzo addiction look like a walk in the park.opiate addicts are addicts for life.