Help with Ambien Titration Please

[De...]

I started taking 5 mg Ambien in March. Would like to stop since it actually causes insomnia rather than helps me sleep. I don't have the slightest idea how to titrate any medication, let alone Ambien. I just quit Klonopin cold turkey because my doctor refused to write me an Rx to taper at 15%.

Is it possible to cross to another benzo?  The half life of ambien is two hours and that is awfully short.

At any rate, 5mg is equivalent to 2.5mg V so your dose is quite low.  The first thing I'd do is spread the drug through the day into as many doses as you need to avoid interdose symptoms.  Then begin making very small frequent reductions.  A daily cut of .02mg might be a good starting point.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to stay off all drugs because my body seems to be reacting to everything at the moment. This is an indicator my liver or kidneys might have issues. Having issues with electrolytes. Just need to eliminate as many drugs as possible.Went to see a Naturopath who suggested taking Ambien every other day for three days then quitting, seems a little harsh. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to do a liquid taper. Thanks!

Ambien is not common and I know very little about how to liquify it.  The idea is to get it to dissolve if possible, but I am not familiar enough with it to know what it dissolves in.  A method that works for all drugs is a product called Ora Plus.  It does not dissolve, but is a really good suspending liquid.  It is made for this purpose.  Plain water is also possible, but to get it to suspend properly take a bit of skill.

Another option that might be effective is to get a .001g scale and file the pill.

I came off of a long taper from clono and several months later...just quit the ambein C/T.

I did not have a seizure and the thought of another long taper made my head hurt.

I am now trying to get some zzzzzzz's without this garbage.

good luck to you. How is the taper going?

Hi jumping judy,

You and I are in the same boat. I'm wanting to titrate 3.75mg ambien. I dissolved an ambien in water and it did dissolve. There are some here that have used this method successfully. My concern for you is that you just ct a benzo, how are you doing with that? If you decide to do an ambien titration do it slow. Please keep in touch, maybe we can help each other.

I tapered the benzo over a years plus time. The ambein I c/t...still having problems with sleep. How is your taper going?