I didn't know the dangers!

[Ca...]

Some time ago my Dr prescribed Clonazapam for a difficult time I was going through.  Eventually we settled on Mirtazipam as an Anti Depressant which worked very well for 2 years.  Then I experienced a period of losses, the death of my best friend in a tiny rural town and shortly after (and right now) my younger sister is dying of untreatable cancer.  The AD was increased from 30 to 45 but I had been using the clonazipam as a *sleep* aid all this time thinking it was better than zopliclone.  Little did I know that I was building a tolerance.  I had been stable on this up until now.  I was supposed to take clonazipam .5mg 2 tablets 2x day as needed.  But it wasn't working.  So I foolishly upped the amount.  As I write this from information on your boards I finally figured out that I have 'rebound' anxiety.  I haven't seen my DR yet but I'm scared.  Very.  For now I'm not changing my pattern, haven't tapered,etc.  In 3days I see my Dr.  So I hope to find support here.

Hello Canuck.  Welcome to the forum, you'll find plenty of information and support here.  I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  Sometimes, during periods of extreme emotional trauma, these medications can be very helpful.  But benzos, especially, are not meant to be taken long-term.  It sounds like you reached "tolerance," which is very common with benzos.  We generally recommend a taper rate of about 5-10% every two weeks.  Tapering too fast can produce unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.  Doctors often do not understand the need for slow tapering, but hopefully yours will.  Here are a few links you may find useful:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Hi Canuck,

As Megan said, Benzos have their place in medicine, but only for short

term use. Hopefully your Doc will have some knowledge how to

taper you off in a sensible way, fingers cross. If you get the impression

he is clueless, I would do my best to get your Klonopin prescription ,

a taper plan can be worked out here, people have a lot of knowledge.

I would join the Klonopin club.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=57791.0

Good to have you with us,

and all the best.

Claudia. :smitten:

Canuck,

Once on a Benzo you have only 2 real choices - You can stop now with difficulties or you can stop later with even more difficulties. It will be hard, but time will pass and you will start to feel better. The real trick is learning how to get through it day by day. Some days will be worse than others, but some days will also be better.

For anxiety you can look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy for anxiety. This will help address the problems that led to the use of a Benzo in the first place and could be helpful to you in your future as well. Such a therapist will attempt to teach you the concept of acceptance of your current situation. You may be feeling sick and crappy, but letting your mind get all wound up over fear of the future (fear of things that could happen, but have not yet happened) will only add to your current suffering. Our goal in healing is to reduce our suffering, not add to it.

In time you will learn tricks to help you deal with your withdrawal. At the same time the withdrawal symptoms will also be getting more tolerable. Soon time will have done its thing and you will have come out on the other side. Perhaps as an improved person.

I wish you a successful recovery.