Have a question about antibiotics

Howdy all, Ive been off klonopin for approx 20 days and Ive had a sinus infection for pretty much all of my taper which lasted 4 months.

I was wondering if its okay now to take antibiotics. I read that you shouldnt take certain kinds when getting off benzos.

I usually take augmentin for my infections.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated,

Michael

The only class of antibiotics that seems to cause problems for most everyone are the quinolones.  Cipro is one of the brand names.  You can do a forum search for anti-biotics and find a lot of posts on the Other Prescribed Medications board.  BTW, I'm going to be moving this thread there since it's a better "fit".

How are you doing other than the sinus infection, Michael?

Hi,

I took that while tapering. i had no problem at all. Also have been on that and bactrim since being finished, also no problem.Kel

Thanks for the information Kel and beeper. Ive doing pretty good since getting off the junk, however, I have this sinusitis mess Ive been dealing with for 10 years or so. I think its some of the cause of my depression.

Still have ringing in ears, however, I can handle that.

Love ya,

Michael

Hi, Mr. Clean!  Dumb question:  any chance the ringing in your ears relates to the sinusitis?

The quinolone antibiotics (like Cipro) do not agree that well with me but, on the other hand, they didn't kill me either.  They are hit or miss on their effectiveness for my infections.

Ever talked with a homeopath about your longstanding sinusitis?

Nice to hear from you.  Clear that snoot and feel better soon!

--Me

Howdy Lady, The ringing could be from my sinusitis. I'm just not sure, lol.

I havent tried a homeopath. Maybe I should. Id like to have the sinus ballon sinuplasty done but no insurance, bummer.

Hope your doing great,

Michael

Hi Michael, I hope I can say this here, and apologize if I'm not supposed to.

I am a chronic sinusitis sufferer, and after months on antibiotics and not really clearing up I started using colloidal silver in a nasal spray. It really helped me, suprisingly. I hope you feel better. (not saying you shouldn't get antibiotics)

Hi Michael,

Xanax caused my sinus problems, no doubt.  I did end up with a sinus infection and took amoxycillin which cleared up the infection but not the sinus problems.  I had no problems taking that antibiotic.  The reason for taking Xanax was because I had a bad cns reaction to Levaquin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.  From the start of my benzo use I had a constant cough with mega mucous production.  I had to sleep in a recliner because lying down would cause a much anxiety from the cough.  As I have written before, I am surprised I didn't get an anneurysm or break a rib from the cough.  I am 9 months off Xanax and the sinus problem has gradually cleared up.  It is a known fact that benzos can cause sinus problems. 

Patty  xo

My sinus problems are gradually improving the longer I am off the benzo's, and other drugs.  I am also more aware that even just a little milk will make the swelling of my nasal passages worse.  A little bit of dust, or cat hair also sets me off.  I have o change my pillow case twice a week and I'm surprised how much that helps!  I changed to the unscented laundry detergents and fabric softener.  I highly recommend using a Neti Pot with unpasturized sea salt in distilled water.  It takes getting used to, but it helps alot and it can not hurt, in my opinion.  I think the Neti Pot works much better than the sprays - something about the amount of liquid and the pouring action vs the spraying.  I don't know, but I'm guessing someone probably has a youtube video demo on how to use a neti pot.  I react very badly to antibiotics, or I should say overreact.  Amoxicillin in one of the worst ones for me.  It is what is in Augmentin.  I also had a bad reaction to Levaquin - that's when my muscle soreness started.  Speaking of addition, this board is addicting!

Hi Michael, I hope I can say this here, and apologize if I'm not supposed to.

I am a chronic sinusitis sufferer, and after months on antibiotics and not really clearing up I started using colloidal silver in a nasal spray. It really helped me, suprisingly. I hope you feel better. (not saying you shouldn't get antibiotics)

Hello Mia,

Can you tell me more about the colloidal silver in a nasal spray? Sounds like something Id like to try. Will you tell me what it is and how much to use? Thanks so much, Michael

Anecdotal evidence here which may only apply to my physiology: when I was on Lorazepam and took Clarithromycin (Biaxin trade name) I got severe benzodiazapine withdrawal symptoms when I had been stable before.  Doing an internet search for adverse reactions to that medication seemed to show that some other people experienced severe anxiety while taking it.  I spoke to my neurologist about it, and he believes that all antibiotics probably have some effect on brain neurochemistry, the fluoroquinolones and just being the most egregious offenders.  It could be direct action in the case of antibiotics that penetrate the blood-brain barrier, or possibly by interfering with nutrient absorbtion in the stomach.  More anecdotal evidence: for me, the tetracycline class seems to be the most tolerable with regards to effects on mood.

• 3 years later...
I also had a flaring of symptoms when using Biaxin even after being off lorazepam for 3 months. Main symptom is daily agitation headache.  Headache, heart palps, minor tremors, brain fog were main symptoms of flare-up.