What are some bland, nutritous, non irritating foods to eat?

[qb...]

I'm really struggling here.  This really can't be happening.

Even some of my staple foods, veggies and lean meats are causing major stomach aches today.

I'm HOPING that my problem was/is taking apple cider vinegar for candida, 3 tablespoons a day with water.  I've read that too much can cause stomach irritation.

Tried the cereal w/ soy milk this morning, went psychotic.  At a banana, sweated like crazy, went crazy, didn't sleep.

I'm down to fish, eggs, and nuts. I hope that the meet and vegetables don't cause anymore probs.

I'm going crazy with the foods here, i wish i only had the WD to deal with, and not this HUGE obsession about the diet.

Apparently i can't handle the carbs, sugar, any spices etc.

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't been able to eat much while tapering/titrating off klonapin due to stomach upset and nausea.I started to get really obsessive about not being able to eat and the best advice my doctor gave me was eat when u want to don't eat when u don't want to. The moment he said that it allowed me to release my fears. I still eat only one decent meal a day and have lost 14 lbs on a very thin body to begin with but I don't worry about it anymore. I know its a part of this process and when my body is ready to eat it will! I have a whole life ahead of me to eat!!!

I haven't been able to eat much while tapering/titrating off klonapin due to stomach upset and nausea.I started to get really obsessive about not being able to eat and the best advice my doctor gave me was eat when u want to don't eat when u don't want to. The moment he said that it allowed me to release my fears. I still eat only one decent meal a day and have lost 14 lbs on a very thin body to begin with but I don't worry about it anymore. I know its a part of this process and when my body is ready to eat it will! I have a whole life ahead of me to eat!!!

Good point!  I've been eating more out of obligation than hunger.  This is all new to me, as i've never had trouble eating in my life, even the previous 5 attempts to come off these meds.

And putting on 40lbs from Zyprexa, i think i did enough eating for an entire village.

I've been exercising a lot, and have lost 25 of that 40lbs, and being an ex-bodybuilder, i feel obligated to get that protein.

After my horrible experience with cereal this morning, I had some fish (which i tolerate very well, nutritious protein and fat, omegas) and asparagus at around 2pm.  I really calmed down and I was able to teach well ( i tutor english online).

Then around 5pm, i decide to have some organic turkey meat and nuts. Screwed up my stomach and brain, and was just teaching and i was so lost, confused, revved up symptoms etc.

Maybe I'm bound for a seafood diet, lol.  I think i'm already starting to grow gills.

Regards,

Brian

ASPERAGUS :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

LOL, omg, thanks for mentioning that word Brian. It's been driving me nuts since eating it on Saturday for supper and had me so revved up about 3 hrs. later, slammed my first window that I've ever  had in 10 months!!! And I couldn't get spear outta my head. OMG I'm brain dead.

I hear you so much with being obsessed about what to eat as there's little I can eat. I see what others eat here, I try it and bang I'm even worse. Only I'm not losing any weight :tickedoff: which is really sick that I have to suffer all this b.s. and still have benzo belly and nausea going on, don't want to eat anything.

I do like what Samantha says very much, if I don't feel like eating then I don't need to, I hope. But what if I don't feel like eating, but the stomach is growling?? Now this is a dilemma for me as I then look for something to eat, and just can't find anything (I think the fish idea is also great as I too feel best I think when I do eat fish) Ok I'm rambling now, sorry. My mind is wondering and my fingers are tapping with nothing to say except I know how you feel with this food obsessing because you become scared to eat anything anymore due to stupid s/x's :tickedoff:

I never had an adverse reactions to food.but if your stomach is growling I think your body is telling you to eat! My stomach wasn't and still doesn't tell me to eat very often bc its usually nauseous or anxious.however, when it growls I eat otherwise I do not worry or obsess over it bc I will not get any better if I have one more thing to worry about.believe me none of our bodies will allow us to starve to death. No way.one thing I do always make sure to do when I can't eat though is drink plenty of fluids.that's important.

Asparagus did that to you?  Crazy!

But then again, it's not, I don't think that I haven't seen a food listed on this site that doesn't rev up someones symptoms.

Samantha,

you have no idea how lucky you are that no foods rev you up. I don't know if this is also the same for supplements for you also then?? But you say eat when the stomach growls, well again this would be easy if I knew what won't rev me up as it's almost everything, plus I can't take any of the whole arsenal of supps I have sitting on my counter (spent so much money I could have taken a little trip).

And yes, asparagus. This is why I had been asking what those veggies were called that we shouldn't eat......the crufu whatevers lol. Broccoli, cabbage etc. As I say, I get hungry, but am naseous. Hard to eat when you look and look, and don't know what won't make you feel worse. I can eat cheese, and never did dairy before this started. I'm starting to look like a cow lol (not due to weight as I've got about 25lbs of benzo belly driving me whacko which is enough!!)

I guess ignorance is bliss bc I never knew foods could rev up symptoms and to be really honest I don't buy into it too much. I understand each persons body is unique I just know that I see zero correlation (with my body) between food and symtpoms.the symptoms are just gonna come and I eat like a bird lately. Hopefully all this will be a blur real soon! I also do not use supplements. I don't believe in any of it. I take zoloft a tiny bit for depression and seroquel a tiny bit to sleep and that plenty enough medication for my tiny body.lol.good luck tho finding what works for you. Boy do I miss eating normally. But it will be back soon for all of us!the good news is this isn't permanent! Yay!

I never had an adverse reactions to food.but if your stomach is growling I think your body is telling you to eat! My stomach wasn't and still doesn't tell me to eat very often bc its usually nauseous or anxious.however, when it growls I eat otherwise I do not worry or obsess over it bc I will not get any better if I have one more thing to worry about.believe me none of our bodies will allow us to starve to death. No way.one thing I do always make sure to do when I can't eat though is drink plenty of fluids.that's important.

Ok, well I guess that it's time to only eat when I'm hungry. I guess it's a sign from my body and brain if I'm not hungry, and am having these reactions.  I've just been force feeding myself, and most foods rev me up.

I'll wait for the stomach growl.

Or I wonder if it's best to find some sort of organic meal replacement drink and multivitamin, or just eat whatever i can, when i can.

I guess ignorance is bliss bc I never knew foods could rev up symptoms and to be really honest I don't buy into it too much. I understand each persons body is unique I just know that I see zero correlation (with my body) between food and symtpoms.the symptoms are just gonna come and I eat like a bird lately. Hopefully all this will be a blur real soon! I also do not use supplements. I don't believe in any of it. I take zoloft a tiny bit for depression and seroquel a tiny bit to sleep and that plenty enough medication for my tiny body.lol.good luck tho finding what works for you. Boy do I miss eating normally. But it will be back soon for all of us!the good news is this isn't permanent! Yay!

Not buying into it much might be a quite offensive and unsympathetic to a great many many benzo suffers that it's a harsh reality for.  But then again, it's tough to be sympathetic towards something that you've never experienced.

I never understood it or bought into the whole, certain foods rev me up thing either, that is, until it happened to me, and many many others.  It's for real, and pretty well documented.  It does suck, cause I love eating.  I just walked past pieces of pineapple, that is some of my favorite food, but too affraid to take it.  Trust me, when you eat a banana, start to sweat like crazy, go psychotic, and not sleep one minute, trust me, it's real.

On all of my tapers, I've been able to eat whatever I wanted, when I wanted. Loads of sugar, diet soda, spicy, etc.

Now something is dramatically different this time around, and none of that is happening.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I am quite sympathetic to anyone who is suffering in any way from any benzo! I just don't buy into it for my own self, but I def believe it is happening to you and many others and just want you to know its not permanent and you will be able to eat as much as you want soon!

"I never knew foods could rev up symptoms and to be really honest I don't buy into it too much"

That statement sure doesn't sound like you were saying it in a way that only applied to yourself, but more the concept as a whole.  But no problem if it's a misunderstanding.

Def a misunderstanding but I'm not one who needs any more information than I currently have if you know what I mean. I really believe ignorance is bliss to some extent here. I had a cousin who tapered off klonopin knew just a minimal amount about the proccess (enough education to know she needed a slow taper) and she had no problems during of after her taper. The more I read here sometimes the more we begin to rev our own systems up or find out about new ones that we never had and quite possibly never will! So that's all I'm really trying to say about "myself" and what works for me. I am sorry you are having trouble with food and sx truly I am.

No, i totally agree.  My ignorance when starting was so much more, and my cuts were much easier for sure before coming to the board!  Yes, coming here has for sure made the process more difficult, obsess more, and rev up SXs.

Now, I'm just going to use it during very difficult times like now.  Although coming here has made it worse, I don't know what i would have done or turned to when i hit a huge WD wall like I have recently.  So in that sense, i'm happy it's here.

And I've decided;  if i see something that i want to eat, im gonna eat it. I started myself out on this restricted diet.  Wanted to lose weight and get buff again, but there will be time for that.

I walked past some pineapple last night, my brain light up, and my mouth watered (hadn't had a craving like that since starting taper).  But i passed on it, cause i was so affraid of how i'd react, especially after my reaction to a banana.  But i really didn't want to eat that banana in the first place.

I might even eat some pizza if it looks good, and i want it.

Sure, healthy and balanced is nice, but it hasn't worked for me.  It's created allergies, food phobias, and food obsession.

So thats it.  If i pass some food that looks good, and my brain wants it, im gonna try it!  Nothing wrong with a little endorphin release while going through this hell, huh?

Yes, coming here has for sure made the process more difficult, obsess more, and rev up SXs.

Now, I'm just going to use it during very difficult times like now.  Although coming here has made it worse, I don't know what i would have done or turned to when i hit a huge WD wall like I have recently.  So in that sense, i'm happy it's here.

I can't relate to this.  Knowing why these things are happening to me has given me an enormous sense of relief, alleviating a lot of stress.  I believe stress makes all w/d symtoms worse, so I attribute my feeling much better the past few days to this board. All the typing does kill my neck and back, though.

Homemade chicken soup.  It sounds hard, but it really is as easy as you want to make it.  It is best to use a whole chicken, no additives, but that makes more work to de-bone it.  I would buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts, put them in a pot of filtered tap water on the stove top.  Add tons of fresh parsley, 3/4 cup, a little unrefined sea salt.  Bring it to a boil, and let it simmer until the chicken shreds.  Put pot in fridge. After it cools, skim the fat off the top.  Reheat in the same pot.  The only veggies I could eat at first were squash.  I cut up fresh green and yellow squash and steamed them with a little salt.  Baked plain tilipia also was good.  Breakfast 2/3 c oatmeal mixed with 1/3 c fresh ground flax seeds microwaved with filtered water  - no butter, no milk.  I buy whole flax seed and grind it in the blender, otherwise it goes right through you and you don't absorb the oils from it, and the seeds can poke and irritate the GI lining (I'm told).  As time went on, I added cut up Napa cabbage to the soup, then fresh mushrooms, then scallions.  I can tolerate more variety as time passes.  I had to stay very far away from garlic, onions, potatoes, eggplant, peppers (Nightshade veggies), rice/pasta/potatoes - too much carbs felt like heartattack. I swear I got drunk off of some Tamari sauce I ate!  I stir fry alot of veggies, but I have to stay away from oils, even oilive oil.  So I saute fresh mushrooms slowly, plain no butter,  because they create a lot of juice, then add other veggies and cook it in the mushroom juice. 

I had tried to take the easy way out and buy ready made chicken broth, but even the organic brands have additives, like yeast, and other msg-like garbage.  Homemade was the only way.  Eventually, I used chicken breasts with the bone in still, because I'm told that stuff in the bone marrow is very good for you.  Now I try to use whole chickens... baby steps.  It was suggested that I make fish stock the same way, with fish heads (yikes)  I don't think I'm ready to boil fish heads!  I should make myself try this.  The only thing I can drink is water.  But the other day I discovered an instant coffee named Kava that has the acid removed from it. It actually tastes good and is a nice addition.  It does have caffine in it. I don't think I could have tolerated it a few weeks ago.  Nuts would tear up my stomach and clean me out. 

I might even eat some pizza if it looks good, and i want it.

Go right ahead.  I feel better too when I loosen up.  Food anxiety just makes me feel worse.

Sure, healthy and balanced is nice, but it hasn't worked for me.  It's created allergies, food phobias, and food obsession.

Unfortunately, you could be right about that.  Our emotions have so much to do with our physical reactions.  There's this book that helps me chill when I'm getting too obsessed about diet, it's called Health Food Junkies by Steven Bratman M.D.  The author knows what he's talking about because he had become obsessed with food, and it really affected his life negatively. 

So thats it.  If i pass some food that looks good, and my brain wants it, im gonna try it!  Nothing wrong with a little endorphin release while going through this hell, huh?

So true.  The fact is, food reactions are not going to kill you unless you are anaphylactic.  But most of us just have disordered digestion, not life threatening allergies.  If a certain food makes you feel happy, that's got to be beneficial on some level.  I read a story of a gal who cured herself by eating beer and pizza.  And no, the beer and pizza are not therapeutic obviously.  But it was the act of loosening up and enjoying life that made her feel better.

Just follow your appetite and stop worrying.  You're going to feel crappy for a while no matter what, but there's no use in making it worse by increasing your anxiety over diet.

I totally hear what you are saying.  But with previous experiences, eg eating a banana or watermelon or some cereal, sweating profusely, feeling psychotic and not 1 min of sleep, and a handful of other foods this has happened with, i'm pretty damn scared to have/try other things.

I did find out that the 3 tbs of apple cider vinegar i was having per day was tearing up my stomach, and since quitting that, it feels much better, so perhaps i'm ready to try on some new foods.

I have found that not drinking anything with caffeine or alcohol has made life a little easier and also if I eat too many sugary foods I feel quite hyperactive and more anxious.  Might just be a mind over matter thing.  Have heard of a few cases where people going through taper have taken to alcohol with disastrous consequences, so I personally have made a choice to abstain completely.  Don't want to have to deal with another addicition.

All the best to you

LB :)

I never understood it or bought into the whole, certain foods rev me up thing either, that is, until it happened to me, and many many others.  It's for real, and pretty well documented.  It does suck, cause I love eating.  I just walked past pieces of pineapple, that is some of my favorite food, but too affraid to take it.  Trust me, when you eat a banana, start to sweat like crazy, go psychotic, and not sleep one minute, trust me, it's real

Glad I found the posts I was looking for, this is by far my biggest problem right now. I knew better with coffee and sugar but now foods. I would get the protein drinks but I am allergic to soy. Living on chicken and dumpings is not cutting it for me. Stomach burning, upset intestines, and loosing weight. I guess it's trial and error at this point. I did read where someone took Pepcid complete. That will be on my list to get today. Gp I have to admit though, banana's I can do and have to have them for some reason. Chicken I can do. This is one part of weaning that I do not understand..I do get hungry, or should I say my stomach growls and says I need something. Just don't know what to give it at this point. I need foods that will put weight on right now, sure don't need to loose anymore weight. Any idea???

M :smitten:

I did find out that the 3 tbs of apple cider vinegar i was having per day was tearing up my stomach, and since quitting that, it feels much better, so perhaps i'm ready to try on some new foods.

I used to take that too, and I can't anymore either. I've had to be really careful about supplements.  

I totally hear what you are saying.  But with previous experiences, eg eating a banana or watermelon or some cereal, sweating profusely, feeling psychotic and not 1 min of sleep, and a handful of other foods this has happened with, i'm pretty damn scared to have/try other things.

I know it's so hard to enjoy eating when it seems like the world of food has become a minefield.  I know I encouraged you to eat what looks good, but it sounds like your at a stage where your system is still extremely hypersensitive.  

I have had terrible food issues too.  I have lately been able to cheat just a little.  But I've found that the reactions I have to food don't seem to make any sense.  For example, I will eat something and end up with a brick in my stomach and my heart pounding one day, and eat the same thing another day and nothing happens.  It's really confusing.  That's why I decided not to be so strict with myself anymore.  It only increases my anxiety.  But there are a few things I still won't touch for love or money:  alchohol, sugar, chocolate, caffeine, and dairy.  I also try to mostly stay away from wheat, which has in the past caused severe depression for me.

I think quite a few people have found a low carb diet to be beneficial.  I seem to react negatively to carbs more than any other food (grains in particular).  You might also look into the principles of food combining (ie. never eat protein with carbs, eat all fruits alone, etc.)  That's really been helpful to me at times, although like I said I'm not terribly strict about anything.

I have found that drinking lemon water before eating really helps.  Chamomile tea also helps me digest things I would otherwise not be able to digest.

I really hope you feel better!  You'll probably figure out your diet sooner or later.  It's trial and error, and everyone is different.  So just hang in there.  

Stomach burning, upset intestines, and loosing weight. I guess it's trial and error at this point. I did read where someone took Pepcid complete.  I need foods that will put weight on right now, sure don't need to loose anymore weight. Any idea???

M :smitten:

Hi LitoBitBlond - Have you tried drinking a cup of water with dissolved baking soda in it twice a day?  That really helps the acid and burning feeling.  Also makes my gums feel less irritated.  Many of the antacids cause bone loss.  I know Nexium and prevacid are very bad for the bones.  I have the reverse problem with weight, but have you tried eating plain rice, white potatoes, pasta, oatmeal?  I guess this is the basic stuff that you probably have heard before. 

Have you tried drinking a cup of water with dissolved baking soda in it twice a day?  That really helps the acid and burning feeling.

Well thank you for the tip. I will give it a try. I haven't had much trouble with the foods you mentioned. Guess I better stock up. LOL Someone else suggested oatmeal. Now that should but some fat on me I would think. I have some inner ear trouble going on today that is really getting me down. Just what you need with all the other stuff going on. Geesh

M

Nobody shoot me, but here's my list of LOTN stomach-calming foods (for ME, that is... you will find this WEIRD):

1.  Cream of Wheat

2.  Whole Milk

3.  Liverwurst

:o  Okay, I'm an original.