Clonazepam Taper Schedule

[jm...]

Hello! I am planning a titration taper and would like some input. I have a 10ml oral syringe and no other equipment. I don't mind measuring out my milk using the syringe. I just don't know where to buy other sized syringes.

Anyway...

I have been on .5mg K for about 5 years. I plan to switch to liquid for a couple of weeks then start cutting. Here's where eI need advice. I have all the time in the world to do this so I need to go as slowly as I can to make sure I have little to no symptoms. Can someone suggest a schedule and tell me in terms of ml how much and when to cut?

At .5mg K I'd begin by removing .0015mg per day and test that out for a few weeks.  You can likely go faster, but .0015mg is a good place to begin.  Anything below that is the slow boat and also a good way to taper if you want to do that.

As an example, you could put your .5mg pill into 50ml whole milk.  A .0015mg cut would be .15ml.

Ok thank you! I downloaded the spreadsheet at benzosuppory.org and was trying to use it to find a good starting number. I took my full dose in 300ml milk tonight to see if switching to liquid causes any changes.

I plan on starting cuts after I'm sure I'm stable with the liquid.

Do you have any opinions on whether it should be a steady taper like 1ml/day for 2 weeks or following a schedule like 1ml day 1, 2ml day 2, etc. like the spreadsheet says. I may not be remembering what the spreadsheet suggested correctly.

Hey jmc981,

It sounds like you are on the right track!  If you keep using 300ml of milk then you could do 1ml reduction a day adding 1ml each day so day 1 1ml, day 2 2ml and so on.  That would be a .00167mg reduction a day.  If you use less milk, you need to reduce the amount you take out.

As SG said,  .0015mg is a good starting place.

Stay strong!

Sharkey

Ok thank you! I downloaded the spreadsheet at benzosuppory.org and was trying to use it to find a good starting number. I took my full dose in 300ml milk tonight to see if switching to liquid causes any changes.

I plan on starting cuts after I'm sure I'm stable with the liquid.

Do you have any opinions on whether it should be a steady taper like 1ml/day for 2 weeks or following a schedule like 1ml day 1, 2ml day 2, etc. like the spreadsheet says. I may not be remembering what the spreadsheet suggested correctly.

Yes, with a .5mg pill in 300ml milk a 1ml/day cut will be a .0017mg/ml strength.  What I would do is remove 1ml per day for at least two weeks and hold only as needed.  I doubt you will need to hold at all, but always hold as needed when daily tapering.

My God! How do I learn how to do all of this??

I'm clueless and need Titration 101. Any thoughts, videos or resources would be HUGELY appreciated.

Mega thanks!

My God! How do I learn how to do all of this??

I'm clueless and need Titration 101. Any thoughts, videos or resources would be HUGELY appreciated.

Mega thanks!

It really isn't difficult.  You just need to get a little familiar.  It will come quickly.  You just make your dose, or part of your dose, into liquid and use syringes to divide it.

I'm sorry to be so clueless. How do I learn to "make" my dose? Do you know how or where I can learn how to do this liquid titration thing beginning with the very first step. I just need a resource that can outline each specific step on how to do this liquid titration thing. Right now, I'm a completely lost rookie. I'm at 2.75mg of clonazepam per day. I got there from 5mg/day by cutting tablets, but I know I'm close to getting to the point of needing to start liquid titration. I saw the milk titration video, but it was overwhelming and had lots of changes that were written in text form and added to the video...in other words, he does it a little differently than the way the video explains it initially. Lost me!

Obviously, I'm fearful of the process, but that'll go away once I have a resource that really walks me through the process step by step from the very beginning. I don't want to mess it up. Recently I've often wondered how people do this during a time when they have to travel, etc. I'm not on Valium, but the good thing about Valium is that you can literally take hard tablets almost to the end (from what I've read). Having tablets in my pocket seems like it would be a lot easier than having to put together a liquid titration concoction.

You're awesome! Thank you for your help!

Yeah, I agree the video makes it harder than it is.  Go to the link in this member's profile.  Not K, but the method id the same.  It is a good write-up...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=24896

Also, you can keep posting here and just ask questions.  People will be glad to answer.

With K, many choose whole milk.  If you are on 2.75mg you can easily liquify it with whole milk.  Others are choosing alcohol/water.  I'd recommend taking time up front to learn and ask lots of questions.  It will pay off.

Whoops!!  I just tried again to go to the vodka taper video from Diaze-Pam's signature, but it won't let me go there now. Do you know if it's been taken down? I also went to one of her other posts and clicked on the link in the signature. Wouldn't work. Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?

Many thank you's!!

Yeah, I agree the video makes it harder than it is.  Go to the link in this member's profile.  Not K, but the method id the same.  It is a good write-up...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=24896

Also, you can keep posting here and just ask questions.  People will be glad to answer.

With K, many choose whole milk.  If you are on 2.75mg you can easily liquify it with whole milk.  Others are choosing alcohol/water.  I'd recommend taking time up front to learn and ask lots of questions.  It will pay off.

Thank you for the link, SG. Yep, I've asked a TON of questions and learned a lot from Sharkey and Builder. I start my alcohol titration as soon as my graduated cylinder etc. arrives. It'll be a heck of a journey, but I know it'll be worth it. 21 years (still hurts to say that) of clonazepam has pretty much ruined my life. It can only get better. I was at 8mg/day at the worst and highest point, and I'm at 2.75mg today. So, I'll get there.

I will ask you something else, if you don't mind: Sharkey was gracious enough to help me make my decision and also give me a schedule. Bless his heart!! I think I may have driven him as well as Builder to the crazy house.  Anyway, here's the scenario and question: He said to put my 1mg tablet in a small cup (like the ones that come with Nyquil, or whatever), add 2ml of vodka, give it time to dissolve, pour the solution into a 100ml graduated cylinder, rinse the cup with water a couple of times and pour into the cylinder, then add water up to the 100ml point. Then I'm ready to pull out the needed amount to get the daily dose I need.

I'm concerned about being shaky and ending up pouring more than needed to reach the 100ml point. If I overshoot the mark, I can't just use a pipette and pull the excess out...I'd also be pulling out clonazepam! What are your thoughts on a way around this?

Ignorant question, but I'm still learning.

Thank you so much!!

Well, if it were me I'd forget the cylinder and just use a 10ml and a 1ml syringe and some good sealing jars.  The cylinder is an unneeded extra container that introduce more error, although I see the convenience.  You don't really need the cup either.

But if you use the cylinder here is what I would do.  DO NOT put the benzo into the cylinder.  Drop the pill into an empty jar.  Tip the jar.  Add the 2ml alcohol.  Let it dissolve.  Add 98ml water measured from the cylinder.  The cylinder is just used to measure water so you don't have to worry about being shaky and losing benzo.  You could also measure the 98ml with a 10ml syringe to get rid of the cylinder.

You remind me of me, lol.  I was on K for 21 years and tapered from 4mg.  Take it slow and keep yourself feeling good.  Always.

Well, if it were me I'd forget the cylinder and just use a 10ml and a 1ml syringe and some good sealing jars.  The cylinder is an unneeded extra container that introduce more error, although I see the convenience.  You don't really need the cup either.

But if you use the cylinder here is what I would do.  DO NOT put the benzo into the cylinder.  Drop the pill into an empty jar.  Tip the jar.  Add the 2ml alcohol.  Let it dissolve.  Add 98ml water measured from the cylinder.  The cylinder is just used to measure water so you don't have to worry about being shaky and losing benzo.  You could also measure the 98ml with a 10ml syringe to get rid of the cylinder.

You remind me of me, lol.  I was on K for 21 years and tapered from 4mg.  Take it slow and keep yourself feeling good.  Always.

Love what SG said about just measuring the water in the cylinder.  I think builder also mentioned that.  I agree with them 100%. 

But if you use the cylinder here is what I would do. DO NOT put the benzo into the cylinder.  Drop the pill into an empty jar.  Tip the jar.  Add the 2ml alcohol.  Let it dissolve.  Add 98ml water measured from the cylinder.  The cylinder is just used to measure water so you don't have to worry about being shaky and losing benzo.  You could also measure the 98ml with a 10ml syringe to get rid of the cylinder.

:thumbsup:

The cylinder is for MEASURING, not mixing.  Salvage a glass food jar or 2  with a gasketed lid (olives, pickles, salad dressing, etc) for your mixing and storing jar.

Don't get hung up on the mechanics...they really aren't important.  The only thing that matters is you create a dilute liquid from your med, and then take the appropriate dose each day.

::)

You're all so terrific.  I thank you for the information, and I also hope you all had a fantastic Memorial Day.

We'll be in touch as the journey rolls!!

"The big salad" -Seindfeld

Hi SG and whoever else. I put the 1mg tablet of clonazepam in the tilted jar, but noticed that the 2ml of vodka that I put in is so small that it didn't even cover the bottom of the jar. I know you said to "tilt" the jar...does that mean to leave it tilted for the 15 minutes or however long it needs to dissolve the tablet? Seems kind of awkward, but I didn't realize how little 2ml of liquid is. I was thinking I was just going to put the tablet in the jar, put in the vodka, set it down, then leave it alone for a while for dissolving. Just checking to make sure. Thanks!

Yes, that is why he said tilt the jar.  That way it will cover the whole pill.  Let it sit tilted for at least 15 minutes.  You are on your way!

stay strong,

sharkey

Yeh, I know it sounded like a stupid question, but it's O.K. I have a small jar...actually the label on it when I bought it said it's 118ml.  I thought that would be perfect since I need 100ml. No biggie. Got 'er done! I just liked your idea of letting the tablet sit overnight in a Nyquil cup then doing your thing the next morning. Hey Sharkey, one other dumb question for ya: You said to pour the 2ml vodka with dissolved clonazepam into the container, rinse a couple of times, then add 98ml water. If I poured the 2ml solution into the jar, then rinsed a couple times (which might be a couple ml each time I rinse), then wouldn't I add LESS than 98ml? Say, maybe, 94ml (2ml vodka + 2ml for the first rinse + 2ml for the second rinse = 6ml)? A friend of mine watching me do this just asked me. He thinks the process is pretty cool.

See ya!

Yeh, I know it sounded like a stupid question, but it's O.K. I have a small jar...actually the label on it when I bought it said it's 118ml.  I thought that would be perfect since I need 100ml. No biggie. Got 'er done! I just liked your idea of letting the tablet sit overnight in a Nyquil cup then doing your thing the next morning. Hey Sharkey, one other dumb question for ya: You said to pour the 2ml vodka with dissolved clonazepam into the container, rinse a couple of times, then add 98ml water. If I poured the 2ml solution into the jar, then rinsed a couple times (which might be a couple ml each time I rinse), then wouldn't I add LESS than 98ml? Say, maybe, 94ml (2ml vodka + 2ml for the first rinse + 2ml for the second rinse = 6ml)? A friend of mine watching me do this just asked me. He thinks the process is pretty cool.

See ya!

Not if you use the 98ml you measure out to rinse the cup out with.  :)

Believe me we understand :)  It will get better!  We can do this!!!

sharkey

Hey Sharkey,

I've got a few things for ya:

1) I notice that when my clonazepam has dissolved for a half hour to an hour in the vodka followed by adding the 98ml of water that I still have to stir the mixture quite a bit as I'm removing the needed amount with my syringe. It seems like the drug still settles to the bottom of my jar pretty fast, so I stir it, quickly remove 10ml (I have a 10ml syringe), stir some more, remove another 10ml, etc. It seems like I may not be removing enough actual drug at times. Is that normal? I was thinking that using the vodka is what helped the clonazepam dissolve better than in milk or water. If I forget to stir, then I'm afraid that I'm not removing enough of the drug because it settles before I can remove my needed amount. You probably remember, but I'm doing the liquid vodka titration with my .75mg and then taking the other two 1mg tablets dry at this point. Just trying to be consistent each day in the amount of drug I remove. (Seems I remember you saying that you dissolve your tablet overnight. Maybe that makes a positive difference in the mixture.)

2) When I get down to say, 15 10 5 and less ml (in other words, I'll be removing 85, 90, 95ml etc), is there a better way to do it, or do I just do what I'm doing now...make a 100ml mixture, then use the syringe to remove most of the liquid down to the level I need? Seems like there might be a better way to remove 99ml to get down to a 1ml dose, for example.

3) This question is just for curiosity. I have a long way before I get this low, but I saw where you recommended to someone that they cut .0015mg for their particular situation. How in the world do you do that? How do you create a solution where you can remove such a tiny amount? I'd love to know the math and how you create the mixture. I know that my 1mg tablets go into 100ml of liquid followed by removing what's needed, but I don't know how you do things at the really low cut amounts. Would love to know.

4) I know I asked this in the past, but I don't remember a response (which isn't saying a lot): If I go to various other areas of this BB forum and ask questions within posts that I read from someone else, how do I know if someone has responded to my questions or posts? I know I can click on my "Profile" and see posts I've put up, but I was just wondering if there's another way where you're notified if someone responds, has a question, or whatever.

It's been a while, so I saved my questions for one post for ya  :)

Have a super day! 

Believe me we understand :)  It will get better!  We can do this!!!

sharkey

Hey Sharkey,

I've got a few things for ya:

1) I notice that when my clonazepam has dissolved for a half hour to an hour in the vodka followed by adding the 98ml of water that I still have to stir the mixture quite a bit as I'm removing the needed amount with my syringe. It seems like the drug still settles to the bottom of my jar pretty fast, so I stir it, quickly remove 10ml (I have a 10ml syringe), stir some more, remove another 10ml, etc. It seems like I may not be removing enough actual drug at times. Is that normal? I was thinking that using the vodka is what helped the clonazepam dissolve better than in milk or water. If I forget to stir, then I'm afraid that I'm not removing enough of the drug because it settles before I can remove my needed amount. You probably remember, but I'm doing the liquid vodka titration with my .75mg and then taking the other two 1mg tablets dry at this point. Just trying to be consistent each day in the amount of drug I remove. (Seems I remember you saying that you dissolve your tablet overnight. Maybe that makes a positive difference in the mixture.)

What you see is not benzo but pill fillers.  the benzo is part of the solution and is not visible.  i just swirl my container around a bit and then draw out.  dont worry yourself with the stuff that settles BUT stirring it before each pull will not hurt

2) When I get down to say, 15 10 5 and less ml (in other words, I'll be removing 85, 90, 95ml etc), is there a better way to do it, or do I just do what I'm doing now...make a 100ml mixture, then use the syringe to remove most of the liquid down to the level I need? Seems like there might be a better way to remove 99ml to get down to a 1ml dose, for example.

They make bigger syringes.  When you get that low you can just draw out what you need and take that.  For example:  if your dose is 20ml you can draw out 10ml and take. then draw 10ml more and take.  So 1 batch of 100ml you could draw 5 x 20ml doses and take straight from the syringe.

3) This question is just for curiosity. I have a long way before I get this low, but I saw where you recommended to someone that they cut .0015mg for their particular situation. How in the world do you do that? How do you create a solution where you can remove such a tiny amount? I'd love to know the math and how you create the mixture. I know that my 1mg tablets go into 100ml of liquid followed by removing what's needed, but I don't know how you do things at the really low cut amounts. Would love to know.

You can just draw out a fraction of a ml.  They make a 1ml syringe that you can pull 1/10 of a ml at a time.  So for you, .0015mg would be 0.15ml (1mg pill in 100ml solution), which you can read on the side of the 1ml syringe.

4) I know I asked this in the past, but I don't remember a response (which isn't saying a lot): If I go to various other areas of this BB forum and ask questions within posts that I read from someone else, how do I know if someone has responded to my questions or posts? I know I can click on my "Profile" and see posts I've put up, but I was just wondering if there's another way where you're notified if someone responds, has a question, or whatever.

Look by your profile picture in the top left of your screen and look for "Show New Replies to your posts"

It's been a while, so I saved my questions for one post for ya  :)

Have a super day!

Answers in BOLD above