Lives 'left in ruin’ by rising tide of depression drugs

[Qu...]

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the link to this very interesting article. Jo Thompson looks very familiar. I must have read this article or saw her from another article based on her sad experience with lorazepam.

I hope it is alright that I copied and pasted the following from the article that you provided a link to. I like the fact that the writer of this article states how benzodiazepines are currently in vogue and then sites how many prescriptions were written in the UK last year (the article was written in 2014). What a frightening thought. The excerpt from the article is in bold.

Jo Thompson, 31, an NHS researcher, was prescribed antidepressants three years ago for anxiety about her university final exams. “What I was going through — worrying about the future and choices I was making — was completely normal, in retrospect,” she says. Her GP wrote her a prescription for lorazepam, a potent benzodiazepine or anti-anxiety drug, which are currently in vogue, with 16.5 million being prescribed in the UK last year, and to which around one million people are thought to be “accidentally” addicted — compared with 300,000 illegal heroin and crack cocaine addicts.