Psych Meds Put Americans at Risk

[pe...]

Psych Meds Put 49 Million Americans at Risk for Cancer

"What does the data show?

A signal of harm. Plain and simple. In their paper, Carcinogenicity of psychotropic drugs, Amerio et al. found:

•63.6% of antidepressants were associated with carcinogenicity, specifically mirtazapine, sertraline, paroxetine, citalopram and escitalopram, duloxetine and bupropion.

•90% of antipsychotics agents were associated with carcinogenicity. All agents were associated with carcinogenicity except clozapine.

•70% of benzodiazepines/hypnotics were associated with carcinogenicity, specifically clonazepam, zolpidem, zaleplon, diazepam, eszopiclone, oxazepam and midazolam.

•25% amphetamines/stimulants were associated with carcinogenicity, with methylphenidate specifially associated.

•85.7% of anti-convulsants (“mood stabilizers”) were associated with carcinogenicity. The only agent not associated with carcinogenicity was lamotrigine. Specific agents associated with carcinogenicity were valproate, carbamazepine, gabapentin, pregabalin, oxcarbazepine and topiramate."

Edited subject line - MindSeeker

I think this is an alarming headline and will upset people unnecessarily.

It is based on animal research not human research.

I like to know this type of information but for those who are easily alarmed the headline is very frightening.

perhaps the title of the thread could be amended

"Animal research suggests that ........ "

LF  :thumbsup:

PD, I feel sick reading it....but thanks for posting, good to know

everything. Holy crap it is... :o

Thanks everyone for reading.  I agree, it certainly is shocking!  I think it goes to show that any foreign chemical that we put in our body, be it a medication or anything other substance, has the potential to cause harm. 

LF...MindSeeker was good enough to change the subject line to something not quite so frightening.

PD

I'm sorry if you feel this is depressing.  Just remember, the truth shall set you free...  :angel:

PD

I recently read an abstract on PubMed about the carcinogenicity of benzodiazepines. It was anything but conclusive, so I didn't bother to share it.

• 2 months later...

It's hard for me to worry about the long-term effects when I am still in a day by day, minute by minute mode.

And the truth is that worrying about it won't help anyway! So I think you've got the right idea, LF2015.

It's hard for me to worry about the long-term effects when I am still in a day by day, minute by minute mode.

And the truth is that worrying about it won't help anyway! So I think you've got the right idea, LF2015.

Yep, I try and do the same as LF....

I think we're on the same page here....one foot in front of the other....keep moving gradually toward that goal while trying to keep your head in the right place..... :)  :)    :).