JAMA Psychiatry April 2015: "Restricting Benzodiazepines to Short-term.."

[La...]

This article is in reaction to a recent article in the Journal of the American Medical Association Psychiatry that suggested restrictions on benzodiazepine prescriptions are in order. It's called "Restricting Benzodiazepines to Short-term Prescription".

When you read it, be sure to read the conflicts of interest as well.

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleID=2280680

Whenever I read that "Published clinical trials show .....", I go back to The Benzo Book by Jack Hobson-Dupont where he points out that clinical trials that don't show what the pharmaceutical company wants simply don't get published.

There's been some recent discussion of bias in medical research. I posted a radio interview on the topic, and another BB member posted an article about antidepressants and what was NOT made public about trials with poor outcomes.

It's eye-opening stuff, and it requires us to be critical thinkers.

This article is in reaction to a recent article in the Journal of the American Medical Association Psychiatry that suggested restrictions on benzodiazepine prescriptions are in order. It's called "Restricting Benzodiazepines to Short-term Prescription".

That "Conflict Of Interest" entry is extremely extensive.  It's hard to believe it could be made any longer.

Surely there has been a long benzo insomnia trial than one (for temazepam) which ran for only 8 weeks.

Whenever I read that "Published clinical trials show .....", I go back to The Benzo Book by Jack Hobson-Dupont where he points out that clinical trials that don't show what the pharmaceutical company wants simply don't get published.

:thumbsup:

That "Conflict Of Interest" entry is extremely extensive.  It's hard to believe it could be made any longer.

Surely there has been a long benzo insomnia trial than one (for temazepam) which ran for only 8 weeks.

I'm glad they are forced to list conflicts of interest, though, since it tells us a lot about the authors. Bias in reporting is everywhere, and it can affect outcomes. Then when such studies are quoted elsewhere, we have to go back and have a look at the study itself and ask the tough questions. For the reader, it becomes harder to figure out the difference between truth and fiction.