Can someone with experience please check my titration schedule?

[mo...]

Hi All,

After struggling with sxs (hellacious headache, constant twitching, strong myoclonus, absence seizures, vertigo, perceptual problems and ringing in my ears) for the past 6 weeks AND going to work (only 6 weeks until the end of the term!), I just spent 3 days in seizure migraine status  :sick: so I have to go back to the neurologists tomorrow to be checked out and "discuss my taper".  :(

I will be taking my new vodka micro titration schedule in to show them (the one that replaces the Ashton A to V substitution XO schedule I talked them into helping me with as THE way for me to get off this stuff safely :P ) to show them in hopes that they will agree to my continuing my taper using the micro liquid plan and not pull the plug on me for fear of the seizures. I am really hoping that by titrating I can minimize sxs, especially the seizures, headache and myclonus.

This is what I have worked out from everyone's generous advice, older postings, sticky threads, other people's taper plans, helpful suggestions and looking at the limited research available.

Currently at 7.5mg per day in 3 doses (1mg am; 1.5mg mid day; 2 mg pm)

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT 1mg OF V IN 100mls OF WATER MAKES A SOLUTION THAT IS A 1:100 RATIO? Ergo, 50ml of this solution would equal .5mg of V?

Planning to put 1mg V (1/2 my Teva 2mg V tablet) into 1ml 80% vodka then add 99mls water to make my solution. I have a 10ml syringe; a 100ml graduated cylinder and an amber 2oz wide mouth glass jar to use. I plan to start by doing the titration dose in the evening after work when I have time. SG57 helpfully suggested cutting by 3mls per day, which is about 1mg per month and that sounds good to me; not too fast, but making some progress. So, because I am starting at 7.5mg with the liquid micro titration, it would look like this...right?

Day 1 - take 47mls and toss 53mls (plus take 7mgs tablets)

Day 2 - take 44mls and toss 56mls (plus take 7mgs tablets)

Day 3 - take 41mls and toss 59 mls (plus take 7mgs tablets)

Day 4 - take 38mls and toss 62mls (plus take 7mgs tablets)

day 5 - take 35mls and toss 65 mls (plus take 7mgs tablets)

etc... until I am down to only 7mgs per day then I would start another 100ml solution with taking 97mls and tossing 3mls, and then each succeeding day cutting by another 3mls while taking 6mg tabs.

I have also created a spread sheet in which to keep track of all this, in addition to my smartphone app, which should be helpful since I definitely have a bit of benzo brain cog fog going on!

I have seen some people say they have to "adjust" to a liquid taper because it feels like a cut...I would assume that since I am only doing a VERY small part of my cut in liquid form I would not need to hold when I start the liquid microtaper...would I?

Thanks so much to all for your help and support! :smitten:

Mo

Hi Mosart,

I started micro-tapering right away after switching to liquid.  It worked well enough for me.  Switching to liquid does exacerbate my symptoms, but I get back to baseline within a couple of weeks.  I just switched my last 0.5 mg tablet to liquid 4 days ago while still micro-tapering the other 0.5 mg tablet and my symptoms increased, but so far are manageable.  I think everyone is different with some not being affected at all by the switch to liquid and some people needing to stabilize before starting to taper.  Best of luck.

Hi All,

After struggling with sxs (hellacious headache, constant twitching, strong myoclonus, absence seizures, vertigo, perceptual problems and ringing in my ears) for the past 6 weeks AND going to work (only 6 weeks until the end of the term!), I just spent 3 days in seizure migraine status  :sick: so I have to go back to the neurologists tomorrow to be checked out and "discuss my taper".  :(

I will be taking my new vodka micro titration schedule in to show them (the one that replaces the Ashton A to V substitution XO schedule I talked them into helping me with as THE way for me to get off this stuff safely :P ) to show them in hopes that they will agree to my continuing my taper using the micro liquid plan and not pull the plug on me for fear of the seizures. I am really hoping that by titrating I can minimize sxs, especially the seizures, headache and myclonus.

This is what I have worked out from everyone's generous advice, older postings, sticky threads, other people's taper plans, helpful suggestions and looking at the limited research available.

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT 1mg OF V IN 100mls OF WATER MAKES A SOLUTION THAT IS A 1:100 RATIO? Ergo, 50ml of this solution would equal .5mg of V?

Planning to put 1mg V (1/2 my Teva 2mg V tablet) into 1ml 80% vodka then add 99mls water to make my solution. I have a 10ml syringe; a 100ml graduated cylinder and an amber 2oz wide mouth glass jar to use. I plan to start by doing the titration dose in the evening after work when I have time. SG57 helpfully suggested cutting by 3mls per day, which is about 1mg per month and that sounds good to me; not too fast, but making some progress. So, because I am starting at 7.5mg with the liquid micro titration, it would look like this...right?

etc... until I am down to only 7mgs per day then I would start another 100ml solution with taking 97mls and tossing 3mls, and then each succeeding day cutting by another 3mls while taking 6mg tabs.

I have also created a spread sheet in which to keep track of all this, in addition to my smartphone app, which should be helpful since I definitely have a bit of benzo brain cog fog going on!

I have seen some people say they have to "adjust" to a liquid taper because it feels like a cut...I would assume that since I am only doing a VERY small part of my cut in liquid form I would not need to hold when I start the liquid microtaper...would I?

Mo

Hi All,

Mo

I'd give the switch some time anyway.  Hard to figure why it causes symptoms.

You mentioned "80% vodka."  Did you mean 80 proof or 80%?  80 proof is 40% and that seems to work, but I still recommend 150 proof as 80 proof cuts solubility too close.  I also like to see at least 3mls used, but again 1ml seems to work.  These changes will move solubility away from the edge to ensure it dissolves.  And give it the time needed to dissolve and be sure to use the other half of the same pill the next day.

Also, what about splitting your dose?  Do you need more that one a day?

But otherwise things look good.  You are on the right track.

Hi I'm not an expert but when I did liquid for my first 0.5mg pill .I drank the full liquid for about 2 weeks and I did feel a cut but soon stabilised .I only reduced by 1ml per day .am I correct in reading that you are using 100ml liquid for 0.5mg tablet .you can use a 1mg tab in 100ml solution and take out 50 ml for the next day and just withdraw your amount of the liquid from the 50ml saves on wastage .

Hi Tragaz,

I am using 250 ml with 0.5 mg tablets.  Right now I am tapering 1.5 ml/day which translates into 0.003 mg/day.  I am using K so the taper rate is not directly comparable with V.  It sounds like you are on the right track tapering the same amount each day.  If your symptoms become intolerable that will likely be a sign that you are tapering too fast.  You should be able to save liquid for another dose in order to minimize wastage as you suggest.  I don't worry about wastage because I am using generic brand K tablets that are very inexpensive.

Hi All,

Had a good visit with my neurologist, who is very thorough, listens to me and seems to be pretty much on top of things. The GOOD news: she is in favor of me trying the micro taper. The NOT so good news: she wants me to take (what I think is a fairly low dose -- 250mg) of Depakote to try and keep the seizure migraines under control.

Although she is leaving the decision up to me, she did manage to rather freak me out by describing potential damage to my brain from all the seizure migraines I have been having and I have surprised myself by actually considering taking the Depakote. Unfortunately, it is yet ANOTHER drug I WOULD have to taper off of and it can have some pretty serious side effects.  So here I am trying to taper off the benzo's, and I was put on beta blockers because of the heart and blood pressure problems from tapering off the benzo's and I will have to taper off the beta blockers when I am done with the benzo taper and now they want to add Depakote, which I will have to taper off of when I am done with the benzo taper. I'm starting to feel a little bit like I'm on the medication merry-go-round again and I'm really not sure whether all of this is necessary. That very low dose of beta blocker's has certainly helped my heart symptoms a lot, but I don't think it has the ramifications of serious side effects of Depakote and I have taken it before so it was a lot easier decision to make than with the Depakote.

I can't help but wonder if I get on a micro taper program, if maybe the terrible migraine seizures will go away or at least get better even without the Depakote since it will be much less of a strain on my brain than the Ashton cut and hold, so I think I am going to spend the month of May doing a micro taper and if I am still having the migraine seizure symptoms at the end of the month, then I will probably have to go ahead and try the Depakote.

One other funny little quirk about all of this is that in the state in which I live, 150 proof vodka is not allowed to be sold -- only 151 proof rum -- so I am starting with that I guess! However, I am allowed to special order 192 proof vodka if I register for it so I am doing that as well and will switch over when it arrives. 192 proof vodka should certainly dissolve 1 - 2 mgs of V...

Thanks to everyone for your help and support with this. I really appreciate it!

Mo