Comprehensive Benzodiazepine Guidance Document, UK, 2014

[La...]

This 63-page document from the UK was prepared in 2014, and it's clearly directed at general practitioners and health professionals. Entitled "Guidance for the use and reduction of misuse of benzodiazepines and other hypnotics and anxiolytics in general practice", it is a comprehensive guide to all aspects of benzodiazepine prescribing. It covers the full range of pertinent topics, including history and properties of benzodiazepines, indications, adverse effects, management of long-term use, withdrawal from long-term use, special populations, patient education and referral. There are many resources and charts, plus extensive references.

http://www.smmgp.org.uk/download/guidance/guidance025.pdf

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [NY...]

• [La...]

• [lo...]

• [Be...]

[96...]

Thanks for posting this, Lapis.

It's a bit disturbing that they advocate the use of SSRI's under the section 5.1 People with Mental Illness (page 28).

There are too many people who aren't mentally mental until they go on a SSRI and develop mania.

And I didn't see any mention of how hard it is for some folks to get off a SSRI.

It's an interesting document. Just wish they would be more informed about the "alternative" medications they advocate for doctors to prescribe. It propagates the myth that psychiatric medications are safe and diminishes the physician's responsibility to watch out for side effects that may be misdiagnosed as mental illness.

Also was very discouraging to read that some long term high dose users never recover. Have never read that. Wished I had not read/could erase from memory.

It's a bit disturbing that they advocate the use of SSRI's under the section 5.1 People with Mental Illness (page 28).

There are too many people who aren't mentally mental until they go on a SSRI and develop mania.

And I didn't see any mention of how hard it is for some folks to get off a SSRI.

It's an interesting document. Just wish they would be more informed about the "alternative" medications they advocate for doctors to prescribe. It propagates the myth that psychiatric medications are safe and diminishes the physician's responsibility to watch out for side effects that may be misdiagnosed as mental illness.

Hey MindSeeker, I think they did make a brief mention of the fact that SSRIs can have a withdrawal syndrome as well. But it might be beyond the scope of the document to get into the problems with all of the other meds. Its main focus seems to be benzos. At least they had a section suggesting "talk-therapies" and CBT as alternatives to medication.

[96...]

Hey MindSeeker, I think they did make a brief mention of the fact that SSRIs can have a withdrawal syndrome as well. But it might be beyond the scope of the document to get into the problems with all of the other meds. Its main focus seems to be benzos. At least they had a section suggesting "talk-therapies" and CBT as alternatives to medication.

Thanks for mentioning that, Lapis.  :thumbsup:

Very hard to read with cog fog. Did they mention mindfulness? That's been the best thing for me after 30 years of polydrugging my brains out.

I'm not sure mindfulness is really "mainstream" yet.

[96...]

Also was very discouraging to read that some long term high dose users never recover. Have never read that. Wished I had not read/could erase from memory.

Don't get discouraged, Waverider. There are a LOT of long term users who've come through this site and healed.

Keep the faith.  :smitten:

Has anyone read that before?  Theat we long timers may never heal?  Instead of retreating in fear, feel I should deal with this as a possible reality. Have been working off premises that we all heal. Anyone?? 

NYCWaverider, please don't be discouraged! Any document like this, where there are percentages given and studies quoted, must always be understood in context. The numbers are not hard and fast AT ALL, and some of the numbers are from studies done many years ago. Having read many, many studies now, I can see why the numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just focus on your journey and know that you will succeed. The most important thing is your desire to do so. That counts for a lot. Some of the people described in the document do NOT want to get off the drugs, and so they don't. Those who are motivated to do so are in a different category. It might be a good idea to read some Success Stories, just to remind yourself of how varied the journeys are around here.  ;)

[96...]

Has anyone read that before?  The we long timers may never heal?  Instead of retreating in fear, feel I should deal with this as a posdibile reality. Have been working off premises that we all heal. Anyone??

I've been polymedicated out of my mind for 30 years and I'm healing.

Here's a good video that will make you believe you can heal:

I have, and my attitude has been v v positive...my mantra is 'be assured you will heal 100%'.  This has been in my mind as factual science. Am really thrown now...?  I had no idea that I may not. Never considered it a possibility until now. Wow. This is incredibly frightening. Want to run, in severe panic. Leaving body.

Please, NYC, just focus on your mantra! There are pages and pages of Success Stories on this website, attesting to the fact that people heal. I've read numerous times of people saying "I doubted I would heal but I did." Just stay the course and keep moving forward.

[96...]

I do believe I can heal, or did, BC I thought it was scientifically proven to be true. That is my powerful tool...science. Someone please!!!  No doctor, nothing I've read besides this had said such. I am dissacociating and feel this has set me back in my taper to zero...like fuck it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Back to just resigning to death from k.  Gross. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WR, I've read many of your previous posts and you are incredible with the amount of insight you have.

There's a LOT of science about the neuroplasticity of the brain. I linked to a video in my previous post on this thread. That's a really good one to watch for science.

Like Lapis said, there are many success stories from long term users.Check them out - Success Stories

It may be best to stay away from the Benzos in the News section for now.

Try the Success Stories section for awhile and give your CNS some time to rest.

You're going to be okay.  :smitten:

I have to leave this site. Have not have suicidal ideations until now.  Used to have them in tolerance withdrawal but the '100% healing reassurance' once I started taper brought me out of dispair immediately. Hope lost.

Okay, this article from the British National Formulary talks about the average time frame for healing -- 6 to 18 months after the end of taper, give or take.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/BNF.htm

Bear in mind that "science" hasn't spent a lot of time studying how each individual does when coming off a benzodiazepine. Benzobuddies actually provides quite a bit of excellent research material, although it's not done in a controlled situation. But the people who post their Success Stories on here are real live people who have been through the process and have come out the other end. There are pages and pages of them! Focus on those and not a statistic you read here. PLEASE! This is the time to use whatever positive thinking strategies you have and to remember how far you've already come. You have to put one foot in front of the other and know in your heart that you're doing the right thing. If we all give up, then what? Nope. Not an option.

[96...]

No, I need the truth!  I need the science!  Bets says we all heal. She made me believe it. My hope is gone. I want to die. All of this for nothing. I don't know what to tell my husband. We all thought this was factual. This was what has kept us all going. I want to run run run run.  Will not bounce back from this. Was my key, my net.  I've Benn on bb like crazy and this is first time I've read such. I can't believe it. I want this to be just a nightmare and wake up.

WR, I'm concerned about you. Reading the Benzos in the News is very traumatic, even for those who are well on the way to recovery.

If you're feeling suicidal and need to talk to someone on the ground, here is the list of resources for you: Suicide, Self-harm & Threatening Behavior     

I'm really sorry this triggered suicidal thoughts for you. I've followed your posts to others and you're extremely caring and helpful even though you're suffering.

Please take special care of yourself right now. And know that it's not always going to be this bad.

Right now, the fear center of your brain is exposed and you're very, very sensitive. But that doesn't mean you aren't going to heal.

You ARE going to heal in time.  :smitten:

NYC, the facts are that these medications affect the neurotransmitters and it takes awhile to heal from that. The body has amazing capacity to heal. You're in the middle of a taper, and now is not the time to give up or believe in anything other than healing.

Here's some interesting info: I read a study awhile back that followed people for six months after the end of a taper. Many of them still had symptoms at the end of the study, so the conclusions said, "Some people never heal." What the ??!! Six months? Some people take two years, but they DO heal. The study just didn't follow people. I haven't read any studies that followed people after one year. So any statistics you read must be understood in context. Read the study before you take the statistics as gospel. PLEASE! Rational thinking is key here. Success Stories. Those are the things. Real people with real lives and real stories and real experiences.

[96...]

Thank u for sending links, both of you.  Can't read now. Under covers.

Aw, sweetie, I can't tell you the number of times I crawled under the covers and hid!

But see, that's not happening any more, at least not like I used to!

You're going to be okay. You just need to survive long enough to see that.

And you need to stay off the Benzos in the News board. Like Lapis said, read the Success Stories for now. Give your CNS time to recover.

Sending you warm thoughts of healing and a giant cyber hug.  :mybuddy:

[6a...]

Hi

I hate how they promote Valium as THE drug to switch to.

I can not tolerate Valium, makes my anxiety way worse!

So what is a person like me to do?

I didn't know that. Perhaps some should have trigger warnings. I clicked BC on 'show unread posts since last visit', thought hey, looks interesting. Self harm I will not engage in. Do not worry. Tapering?  Am reconsidering.

[96...]

I didn't know that. Perhaps some should have trigger warnings. I clicked BC on 'show unread posts since last visit', thought hey, looks interesting. Self harm I will not engage in. Do not worry. Tapering?  Am reconsidering.

Well, you may have a point about needing to put a "trigger" warning on this board.

What do you mean you're "reconsidering"?  ???

No, I need the truth!  I need the science!  Bets says we all heal. She made me believe it. My hope is gone. I want to die. All of this for nothing. I don't know what to tell my husband. We all thought this was factual. This was what has kept us all going. I want to run run run run.  Will not bounce back from this. Was my key, my net.  I've Benn on bb like crazy and this is first time I've read such. I can't believe it. I want this to be just a nightmare and wake up.

You WILL heal, in time.  I'm living proof of that.  I was on high doses of Xanax for 13 years, had three withdrawals including one dreadful detox ct, kindled badly, and had a very difficult (to put it mildly) first year off of my third withdrawal.  Please read my story, link below. I had every physical and psychological symptom imaginable.  Even so, I still healed completely.  It took a long time - two years after my last Xanax, but I healed completely. BTW, I'm 65 years old.  If I can do this, you can too!

:smitten:

I don't know. Tapering was my life, my star, my everything. All BC I thought no matter what sx I had, it was fine, bc the nightmare of fourteen years of depression and anxiety and GI issues and fear and self harm and awful medications to treat side effects of this awful drug, things I didn't have before klonopin, would be gone when my brain healed.  With100% reassurance that it would. No doubt, no what ifs, total belief that it would, that there was no other possible outcome. Now this possible outcome hangs there...suddenly. From clicking on a link that looked interesting. Complete change in my thinking of this taper. Feel like I did in tolerance WD, when I wanted to bang my head, wanted to die.  Felt trapped and imprisoned. Feel it again. It is awful. Wd symptoms no matter how bad I can tolerate bc i used to believe they would pass, no questions, no doubts. Ever. This is very different...a total shift in my perception. Will not forget what I read, will change my perception forever. Trigger warnings please!!!!!

[96...]

I don't know. Tapering was my life, my star, my everything. All BC I thought no matter what sx I had, it was fine, bc the nightmare of fourteen years of depression and anxiety and GI issues and fear and self harm and awful medications to treat side effects of this awful drug, things I didn't have before klonopin, would be gone when my brain healed.  With100% reassurance that it would. No doubt, no what ifs, total belief that it would, that there was no other possible outcome. Now this possible outcome hangs there...suddenly. From clicking on a link that looked interesting. Complete change in my thinking of this taper. Feel like I did in tolerance WD, when I wanted to bang my head, wanted to die.  Felt trapped and imprisoned. Feel it again. It is awful. Symptoms no matter how bad I can tolerate. This is very different.

Did you see Megan's post? She's completely healed after long term use. So are several other administrators.

So healing is going to happen. There may be waves and windows, but look at this as a marathon, not a sprint. The problem with a lot of research is it doesn't look at long term outcomes. Most folks are out of here well before the 18 month mark. Many before the year mark.

This is a video I listened to over and over again during acute because it just helped calm my mind, so I'm sharing it with you:

:smitten: