Author Topic: Micro Tapering/Daily Tapering off of Klonopin Success Story -  (Read 33529 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Micro Tapering/Daily Tapering off of Klonopin Success Story -
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 11:45:12 am »
Should add that this initial 'die off' period is only temporary. A few weeks usually (in my case it was a few months with incremental improvements but I had bad dysbiosis. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 05:11:27 pm »
Hi formy,

thanks for the advice!. Coincidentally i started taking a few months ago probiotic that were recommended by a friend for anxiety and depression. It's a german product that contain the below strains, it claims to be beneficial for stress. the thing is it increased my anxiety a lot and had to stop, i didnt know over time this side effect goes away. It doesn't contain the ones you mentioned but i guess it should help too. I wanted to ask, what does it mean that increases GABA receptor expression exactly? and how does it relate to Klonopin? maybe there could be some interaction?

Bifidobacterium bifidum W23
Bifidobacterium lactis W51
Bifidobacterium lactis W52
W22 Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus casei W56
W20 Lactobacillus paracasei
Lactobacillus plantarum W62
Lactobacillus salivarius W24
Lactococcus lactis W19
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:50 pm »
Hi [...],

Increasing GABA receptor expression is basically helping your brain to grow the receptors needed to use GABA. One of the consequences of benzos (at least in theory) is down regulation of these receptors so that there are fewer of them. L rhamnosus reverses this, through a signalling mechanism in the Central Nervous System.

Basically certain Probiotic strains reverse the down regulation caused by benzos, but without impacting on glutamate. L rhamnosus is one strain missing from the Probiotics below, and it was a key player for me. I don't know the specific strains below, but in general terns, bifido strains are GABA producing, l salivarius is a particularly aggressive strain, and I think it was the reason I was unable to tolerate Probio Probiotics, but is a powerhouse if you can tolerate it. Its often referred to as a foundational strain, so I might revisit it .You could start with a single strain Probiotics maybe? Culturelle or Jarrows Ideal Bowel Support are single strain. If you're in the states Custom Probiotics do samples which could be worth looking at. I want to try B infantis next as it is a big strain in childhood, and I was on a lot of anti biotics as a kid so might need to repopulate.  :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 02:50:12 am »
Hi Kay,

I'm glad you had this great success with your withdrawal. I've also been on klonopin for 20 years. I suffer from social, generalized anxiety and depression. Can you tell me what was the condition that led you to Klonopin?. I've tried withdrawal a few times with no success, because my social anxiety goes to the roof. I feel discouraged sometimes because some people say that you have to be free of benzos in order for CBT to work. My therapists says it will help, maybe take more time because of the klonopin but that it will work, so we'll see, im really determined to withdraw klonopin with the most help i can get, but would like to know your original condition. Did it get better?

Thanks!

[...],
I was prescribed the klonopin for anxiety and panic disorder. It started with a panic attack after I woke up from emergency surgery and it picked up steam. I went to a  Psychiatrist  who put me on Zoloft and Xanax. A few years later I CTed them both and felt fine. I got therapy and was great when I did my work, then got lazy and two years later went back to the first Doctor who put me on Zoloft and Xanax. I still had anxiety and panic and was tired of it, a friend told me about klonopin and gave me one and it felt like it worked better. I asked my doctor and he switched me to Klonopin from Xanax.

Then I hit tolerance with Zoloft, or at least he told me that Zoloft stopped working but looking back who knows what that was, I had more anxiety and panic. He switched me to Lexapro and doubled my klonopin. And down the line added another pill of klonopin to .50mg three times a day.

I had my first taste of tolerance withdrawal after I had eye surgery, unknown to me there are benzos in the drugs they gave me because I had to be awake. Now I know that it is acute, my doctor added another klonopin which is .50mg 4 times a day.

I was worried that if I got to used to klonopin that they would not help me when I had anxiety so I started to drop a pill from my dose every few months until I was at one .50mg a day. Then I had three failed tapers from Lexapro. I found paxilprogress (which is no longer online now) I found out about tapering 10 percent and did that for 14 months and got off lexapro. And then I thought it would be no big deal tapering the last klonopin pill and as you know I was very wrong about that.

Goes to show you though, I CTed and then tapered too fast ending up in acute withdrawal a few times. This last time I reinstated and tapered the micro taper and I improved DURING the taper. According to what many believe I should have been worse because of all the previous failed tapers. but I was not I was better. I believe it was how I tapered.

I have been off for 5 months and have not had anxiety or panic.  And during these 5 months I have had many unexpected problems and family emergencies. I should be panicking but I am not. I have come to the opinion that much of my anxiety and panic was actually caused by the drugs or the attacks made worse by the drugs, Because This is the first time in over 20 years that I have no anxiety or panic. 

Things that used to cause me anxiety have not bothered me. It is weird. I just wait to see how I feel and I feel no panic or anxiety. I'm not quite sure why and am not worried either, I think if I should ever feel that way there are so many other non medicated ways to deal with it. My brother thinks that WD was so much worse than my original problems that it is gone now. I don't know and I have to tell you it is so nice not feeling anxiety. I feel a little foolish taking a pill for anxiety and still suffering anxiety. I thought that I was so bad that it was breaking through the medication but the truth is,  klonopin was [...] it even though I had it before taking benzo I would have not even considered this, I thought I was in for a lifetime of anxiety and panic, well I don't have any now.

If I do in the future I would rather have anxiety than benzo withdrawal so I know I will never take that drug again, I will look into therapy and such.

[Buddie]

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 03:01:25 am »
[...],
Such interesting information, thank you! I took a Probiotic through my whole taper. I never took one before. I took and still take Trunature Digestive Probiotic which has l. acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis and l. rhamnosus.

[Buddie]

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »
Hi Kay,

I'm glad you had this great success with your withdrawal. I've also been on klonopin for 20 years. I suffer from social, generalized anxiety and depression. Can you tell me what was the condition that led you to Klonopin?. I've tried withdrawal a few times with no success, because my social anxiety goes to the roof. I feel discouraged sometimes because some people say that you have to be free of benzos in order for CBT to work. My therapists says it will help, maybe take more time because of the klonopin but that it will work, so we'll see, im really determined to withdraw klonopin with the most help i can get, but would like to know your original condition. Did it get better?

Thanks!

[...],
I was prescribed the klonopin for anxiety and panic disorder. It started with a panic attack after I woke up from emergency surgery and it picked up steam. I went to a  Psychiatrist  who put me on Zoloft and Xanax. A few years later I CTed them both and felt fine. I got therapy and was great when I did my work, then got lazy and two years later went back to the first Doctor who put me on Zoloft and Xanax. I still had anxiety and panic and was tired of it, a friend told me about klonopin and gave me one and it felt like it worked better. I asked my doctor and he switched me to Klonopin from Xanax.

Then I hit tolerance with Zoloft, or at least he told me that Zoloft stopped working but looking back who knows what that was, I had more anxiety and panic. He switched me to Lexapro and doubled my klonopin. And down the line added another pill of klonopin to .50mg three times a day.

I had my first taste of tolerance withdrawal after I had eye surgery, unknown to me there are benzos in the drugs they gave me because I had to be awake. Now I know that it is acute, my doctor added another klonopin which is .50mg 4 times a day.

I was worried that if I got to used to klonopin that they would not help me when I had anxiety so I started to drop a pill from my dose every few months until I was at one .50mg a day. Then I had three failed tapers from Lexapro. I found paxilprogress (which is no longer online now) I found out about tapering 10 percent and did that for 14 months and got off lexapro. And then I thought it would be no big deal tapering the last klonopin pill and as you know I was very wrong about that.

Goes to show you though, I CTed and then tapered too fast ending up in acute withdrawal a few times. This last time I reinstated and tapered the micro taper and I improved DURING the taper. According to what many believe I should have been worse because of all the previous failed tapers. but I was not I was better. I believe it was how I tapered.

I have been off for 5 months and have not had anxiety or panic.  And during these 5 months I have had many unexpected problems and family emergencies. I should be panicking but I am not. I have come to the opinion that much of my anxiety and panic was actually caused by the drugs or the attacks made worse by the drugs, Because This is the first time in over 20 years that I have no anxiety or panic. 

Things that used to cause me anxiety have not bothered me. It is weird. I just wait to see how I feel and I feel no panic or anxiety. I'm not quite sure why and am not worried either, I think if I should ever feel that way there are so many other non medicated ways to deal with it. My brother thinks that WD was so much worse than my original problems that it is gone now. I don't know and I have to tell you it is so nice not feeling anxiety. I feel a little foolish taking a pill for anxiety and still suffering anxiety. I thought that I was so bad that it was breaking through the medication but the truth is,  klonopin was [...] it even though I had it before taking benzo I would have not even considered this, I thought I was in for a lifetime of anxiety and panic, well I don't have any now.

If I do in the future I would rather have anxiety than benzo withdrawal so I know I will never take that drug again, I will look into therapy and such.

[...],
Thanks so much for telling us that story! And congratulations! You've done so well, and it is so heartening. Also, your experience confirms what jounalist/author Robert Whitaker has written and spoken about, i.e. that the drugs meant to decrease anxiety and depression seem to have the opposite effect when taken over the long term. Let's hope that this message gets out to the wider public so that others can be saved from the nightmarish side effects and withdrawal effects.

I wish you continued health and peace.

[Buddie]

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »
Hi Kay and Formy,

Thank you for your reply, im really glad that you're out now. I was wondering if maybe this taper worked for you because of the Probiotics, do you think tha maybe this was the key?. Just guessing, based on the explanation that Formy gave me about the them, my main problem is that the anxiety increases tooooo much when i go really down also terrible depression and tiredness but i guess that happens with any dose i take. Did you have increased anxiety and depression on the previous times you tried to taper? Is there any there supplement you were taking other than the probiotic?. this is really interesting and may be helpful for me as well. I'm considering talking one of the products you guys recommended cuz the probiotics i took increased my anxiety too much.

Formy i read you are feeling amazing!and that's amazing!!, gives me hope too. Is this your first taper?, Also it seems that you got the prebiotics from food? what about supplements that contain probiotics and prebiotics?.

[Buddie]

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 06:53:47 am »
Kay, I share a lot if similarities with your experience, and was put on different antipsychotic which made my anxiety worse. Of course the doctors said I had an anxiety disorder, couldn't be the pills. You're an inspiration to those who were polydrugged and I think that is so important here as many of us were on multiple drugs.

Hi [...], my Probiotics also contain FOS, but I take or have taken flaxseed (couldn't without the Probiotics as it was coarse so I mixed it in oatbran or live yoghurt), Jerusalem artichokes, onions, leeks, acacia gum. My mainstays have been onions and oatbran with flaxseed. Nova1 has been trying a high strength Probiotic called Elixa and we are following progress there. I swear by them. I have also added in sauerkraut now and store bought kefir as 'live' foods. Sauerkraut is particularly easy to take. I was concerned about possible liver induction because its made with cabbage, but the sea salt in which it ferments is an inhibitor, so maybe they balance out. I'm on a low dose of diazepam now so probably wouldn't notice either way. Happy healing. :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 05:04:35 pm »
I set up what supplements I was going to take during my taper. I just tried to stay away from any that reved up my symptoms and this is what I took:

Vitamin C 500mg
Vitamin E 400 iu
Vitamin D3 5mg
Potassium gluconate 550mg
Omega fish oil tabs @ 180EPA/120 DHA
Magnesium citrate powder before bed worked up to a teaspoon.
The probiotics
Barley grass powder (barley grass only)
Chicken Bone broth 1 - 2 cups a day
Concentrated whey protein (not isolate) I used Tera's whey or One World whey in the 5 pound container. (I serving a day usually after exercising)

When I stopped the whey and broth I started to get more muscle pain. I think the whey really helped and the broth helped the anxiety and my stomach. I lost the benzo belly in the first half of my taper.

Now after my taper I drink a cup or two of nettles tea a day, I drink it for these claims:

It has a supportive effect on the immune system, the circulation, the urinary tract, nervous system, respiratory tract, digestive system and the endocrine system. It counters arthritis, rheumatism, tendonitis and other disorders of the muscles and joints.

I would never drink it while tapering or on benzos, just afterwards.

[Buddie]

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »
[...],
My anxiety started to decrease and then disappear during my taper, I split the taper up in three phases, the first one was the anxiety, intrusive thoughts, fear, house bound, hypochondria.

The second phase was the pain. Tendinitis, muscle pain and nerve pain.

The third phase was the pain symptoms disappearing and the fading of the general symptoms such as fatigue, bladder discomfort and that wired feeling. Stuff like that.