Full Article Available: "I'm Not Waving, I'm Drowning" -- autobiographical essay

[La...]

I previously posted the abstract only for this article, but another member -- magga -- was able to access the full article, so I'm re-posting for anyone who would like to read it. Highly recommended!

The title is "I’m Not Waving, I’m Drowning’: An Autoethnographical

Exploration of Biographical Disruption and Reconstruction

During Recovery From Prescribed Benzodiazepine Use" by Alison M. Fixsen, University of Westminster, UK.

http://westminsterresearch.wmin.ac.uk/15052/6/Fixsen_QHR_2015_AAM_.pdf

Thank you so much for this, Lapis! I read quickly but will take a closer look today. It is so helpful to have academic / research papers like these to these to share with doctors who are unfamiliar with or in denial about withdrawal. There's something about seeing all those those citations that legitimizes the subject to certain readers, where we can offer our individual anecdotal experience until we're blue in the face, and it still will be looked at skeptically by many in the medical community.

You're welcome, Brighid! I agree. I have a huge pile of research papers that I've printed out and they've been extremely useful when it comes to sharing information with others. Last night, I was looking at the list of references at the end of this article, and I've marked a few other articles that I want to search. I already tracked down one of them, and it's a 63-page guide on benzodiazepines from the UK, 2014. Very useful! I hope to post a link to it soon.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Well, I'm not sure about that, Qui, but I do believe that knowledge is power. And the more everyone knows about this, the better. There HAS to be prevention of iatrogenic benzodiazepine dependence. No one should be suffering through painful withdrawal that goes on for months/years.

What's been so striking to me is how much information there actually is. So much is already known about the problems associated with long-term benzodiazepine use, yet the prescriptions continue. It just seems wrong.

"First Do No Harm".

Magga, thanks again for tracking down the link to the full article. So many people can benefit from reading it.

Best wishes to you too!

Really, benzogirl? If I click on it, the article comes up right away. I wonder if it has to do with one's location. I'm sorry you can't read it.

I tried to read it but it said I have to pay $30 to do so. I'm not willing to do that.

Hi BenzoGirl.  I have uploaded it for you.  http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09565477426857878553

Hope you can download it okay.

Thanks Braban:

I will use your link and hopefully I can read it free of charge. I really would like to read it, as so many people here like it a lot. TY.

:smitten:

Bets

Hi Braban:

I clicked on your link and up popped up, your app cannot run this program. ????

:tickedoff:

Bets

Hi Braban:

I clicked on your link and up popped up, your app cannot run this program. ??? ?

Bets

Hiya Bets.  I don't know why that happens.  Maybe you have some sort of blocking.  I can still download it and I see 5 others have also done so.

Hi Braban:

I clicked on your link and up popped up, your app cannot run this program. ??? ?

Bets

Hiya Bets.  I don't know why that happens.  Maybe you have some sort of blocking.  I can still download it and I see 5 others have also done so.

Hi:

It must be because I had a tech guy come by and add in a bunch of firewalls and other programs, while deleted other ones. I will try once again. TY

:smitten:

Bets

It's good to have firewalls, but not when they're blocking you from reading an article about benzo withdrawal! No protection needed!  ;D

Braban:

I tried it again and it worked! Thank you for your help. Definitely a BBer. Long but well worth it.

:thumbsup:

Bets

Braban:

I tried it again and it worked! Thank you for your help. Definitely a BBer. Long but well worth it.

:thumbsup:

Bets

Hi Bets.  Good to know the download worked.  Hope you find the article useful.  By the way, I tried to PM you but it seems your account isn't accepting PMs.