Sleeping and palpitation

[...]

I've been having palpitations during sleep. When I wake up I go into a panic. After about 15 minutes after waking I feel better. I'm having very little panic attacks while awake. Now I'm almost scared to go to sleep. Please feel free to comment.

Yoda,

I to have been waking with racing heart - very unpleasant.  I just try to calm myself by breathing and eventually it settles.  Sorry I cant help stop it - it does go away for periods of time and then comes back again for me - but at least you know you are not alone!

love spring

I've been having palpitations during sleep. When I wake up I go into a panic. After about 15 minutes after waking I feel better. I'm having very little panic attacks while awake. Now I'm almost scared to go to sleep. Please feel free to comment.

Unfortunately fear can add to the vicious cycle. As spring noted, try the slow breathing exercises.

Slow Breathing Techniique

The jerkier the breath, the more disruptive it is to the autonomic nervous system. When the breath is smooth and even, autonomic balance is achieved.

- If possible, stop what you are doing and sit down or lean against something.

- Hold your breath and count to 10 (don't take a deep breath)

- When you get to 10, breathe out and say the word "relax" to yourself in a calm, soothing manner. Remember to breathe through your nose.

- Breathe in and out slowly in a six-second cycle. Breathe in for three seconds and out for three seconds. This will produce a breathing rate of

10 breaths per minute. Say the word "relax" to yourself every time you breathe out.

- At the end of each minute (after 10 breaths), hold your breath again for 10 seconds and then continue breathing in the six-second cycle.

- Continue breathing in this way until all the symptoms of over-breathing have gone.

If you do these things as soon as you notice the first signs of over-breathing, the symptoms will subside within a minute or two and you will not experience any panic attacks. The more you practice this slow-breathing technique, the better you will become at using it to stop any panic attacks.

Hey Yoda,

You are by no means alone!  As a matter of fact, I've dealt with alot of symptoms but palpitations havn't been very often for me.  Stumbling on your post actually makes me feel better about what I had going on this past Saturday.  I was beginning to worry because I was having more palpitations than I'd had before and was starting to worry about my heart (strong family history of heart disease).  It seemed I could remember reading that others here had palpitations, and I tried to take comfort in that fact and dismiss my fear of it being more.  After awhile it did pass on it's own with me just relaxing and doing some deep breathing.

I've also had that feeling when waking up in the morning.  When that happens, I just lay for a couple minutes in bed and concentrate on how relaxed I really am before getting up.  We can't stop them from happening, but we can control whether we give in and freak out or handle it knowing it will pass. 

Just wanted to add my 2cents with everyone else and let you know I'm another that has had this happen!    :)

Hope you have a great week!    :smitten:

Beta Blockers can be helpful for the palpitations. I think Inderal as a PRN may help. Not to be taken regularly just in an emergency.

Yoda,

I have the same thing and I AM on a beta blocker twice a day!    I wake up with heart racing and in full panic and a horrible feeling.................in the morning it is just more of a nervous stomach type of anxiety but if I doze off any other time, it is always waking in full blown panic........I can't even remember what it is like to fall asleep and wake up like a normal person.............it has been years, but I am refusing any other meds and once I get off this klonopin I know God WILL restore my sleep to normal.....................I just know it.

I too am terrified to go to sleep and sometimes my eyes burn from being so tired but I don't lay down because I am afraid of waking up, my therapist said it is a wd symptom..............

Best wishes,

Karen

Oh, just in case, I have tried several beta blockers, and I know we are all different, but atenolol was the best...........it works very well, during the day my heart rate stays at 65 and it also helps with anxiety.    I tried Inderal, it gave me palps as did toprol...............you usually have to try a few to find one that works with your body...............

I'm on atenolol as well, and still get palps. They tend to come on after I lay down to sleep. (not all the time though)

Usually I prop up my pillows and sleep elevated, or in the recliner until they pass.

Hi...I get these too and I keep a glass of water by the bed and when I wake up with it I chug the water and it gets bette...don't know why...dehydration can cause heart palps and this taper dehydrates us...so that could be part of it...anyway that works for me...hope you feel better. :)

Hi...I get these too and I keep a glass of water by the bed and when I wake up with it I chug the water and it gets bette...don't know why...dehydration can cause heart palps and this taper dehydrates us...so that could be part of it...anyway that works for me...hope you feel better. :)

Thank you for giving this tip!  Palpitations freak me out and relaxing is the only thing I know of to help them! 

I've only had them twice, but I assure you the next time I'll be chugging away!!  :thumbsup:

Sure ...at the start of my cross over I was a mess!!! and this really helped me...I would drink like 32 oz in the middle of the night :laugh: and then I would have to wiz like 3X a night :laugh: Oh I don't miss all that at all!

Sure ...at the start of my cross over I was a mess!!! and this really helped me...I would drink like 32 oz in the middle of the night :laugh: and then I would have to wiz like 3X a night :laugh: Oh I don't miss all that at all!

I do that still anyway!    :laugh:  I've pretty much got that path to where I can safely sleepwalk!

I like the tip about the water. I drink about a gallon of water a day and I drink other things as well. I'm still thristy enough to drink more water at night.

Yes I too drink enough water to drown myself during the day abd find that in w/d I still need more at night.  :sick:

Yes I too drink enough water to drown myself during the day abd find that in w/d I still need more at night.  :sick:

Yeah, that 8-10 glasses a day is usually done before lunch for me.