Question about coming off of buspar with hydrocodone?

[Ke...]

The doc gave me buspar for anxiety.  I had to take that stuff like clockwork for it to help with anxiety (I knew when i needed anotherone.)  It was doing pretty good at keeping me from having full blown panic attacks(but never really taking away all the anxiety.  Anyways, I was on the buspar like clockwork, and came down with a chest cold.  The doc gave me come hydrocodone syrup.  The hydrocodone syrup relieved all of my anxiety, and made it to where i went down from 60mg's of buspar a day, to 0mg's in just a few days!  My hydrocodone ran out, and i was worried that the anxiety would return but it didnt.  I felt like crap the few days after drinking the syrup but no anxiety.  Its been two weeks now, no hydrocodone, no buspar, feeling great.  Why is that?  There has to be something behind this, why would the hydrocodone take away anxiety to the point where I no longer needed the buspar?    And after thinking, IT has done this twice with me...  A few years back I was hooked on xanex, went through a terrrible 6 months weaning down and having panic attacks.  The doc put me on buspar, and klonipin, weaned off the klono's the got to where all i needed was buspar.  And The same exact thing happened!  got ahold of some hydrocodone, and no longer needed the buspar!  I went 8 months with no anxiety what so ever living life like a normal 24 year old!  But the anxiety returned for some reason without taking any benzos?  I havent taken a benzo since june 07??  The human brain is a funny thing sometimes.  Sorry for ramblin on and on, but just was kinda wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience?  Any input would be great. Thx.

I can't recall ever being on hydrocodone, so I can't say if tht would help or not. I'm glad it worked for you!

WOW Kev,

thats some news!!! I did c/t's from many drugs over the last yr and wish I'd of known what I know now. I did the morph I was on first, was very ill but it went away, so then started on all my benzos (didn't even know what that was :idiot:) ha boy did I learn.

I now sure wish I'd of done the benzos first and then the morph!!!

Thanks for the info!!

That is terrific that it helped you. Benzo's are fat soluble so they last and linger in tissue for a long time. So perhaps most

of your anxiety was muscle related and the hydrocodone helped take the muscle aches/pain away.

I'm not sure though but I can remember that I was takign excedrin extra strengh (double dose) at a time while trying to cold turkey off of Xanax and it did help me a little by falling asleep and no anxiety for two days. Allthought, I had the worst panic attack ever and had to be rushed to the ER in an ambulance. So of course, everyone, please TAPER TAPER TAPER.

And if your doctor has stopped writing your scripts for Benzo's than get a hold off phenobarbital which is a anti seizure/bartbituate drug. That is what they give here in a lot of detox's. Best way is to go to your own doctor or some Urgent Care place and say you need it to control seizures in which case most doctors just write your a prescription since they care about you.

My dosage was intially:

1st day: 120 mg

2nd Day : 120 mg

3rd Day : 90 mg

4th Day: 60

5th Day : 60

6th Day: 30

7th Day: 30

8th Day: 0

You can cycle back on it for a few more weeks just give it a few days in between because Pheno builds

up in your body. And than try starting with 60mg or less. That is what I did for 6 weeks... helped me

since I had been forced to cold turkey off of it.

Been clean 5 months! and I feel great! Occasional anxiety mostly at night but tolerable since it is mild.

I highly agree that benzos should be weaned off of.  but i was taking buspar, its not a benzo, and supposedly has no withdraw symtoms with it.  the hydrocodone somehow helped get me off of the non narcotic buspar med.  I dont think it would have helped me one bit with benzo tapering or withdraw.    ;)

Hi kids,

well I'm now taking my morph again to help with all I'm going through with w/d as being on them almost 25 yrs. and c/t from 4 different ones throughout a 5 month period, has made me extremely ill unfortunatly. I am nowhere near the amt. I was taking for chronic pain (which I now attribute to the benzos, as I have mentioned, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box) and they are now helping me in quite a few different ways with my titration now. I still have some awful terrible physical s/x's but I'm able to when needed, go out which I couldn't do before due to agoraphobia plus the physical. I also have no anxiety, am able to talk to people, and much more mentally. So I have to say that because of my situation and age :tickedoff: that an opiate is what's getting me through this. I don't take everyday either because if I'm able to go on with my day without it, then I don't take it. I don't know if buspar would be a better drug to taper and am interested if one could switch from a benzo to buspar to do a taper??? Any thoughts??

I still say though, knowing what I know now, I'd taper a benzo first and then let the narcotic be the very last. And again thanks for the info Kev

You know that is my EXACT situation. I have lingering anxiety.. the annoying kind. I dont get increased heart rate or nething like that.. just pure anxiety in its truest mental form...And I feel like after 5 months of no benzo use that I am very close to being done with it.. but never actually getting there... I think are receptors need something to 'reset' them to their previous state......hey I am going to try that hydrocodone syrup.. because I remember that when i was trying to withdraw

I did use some hydrocodone and it DID help with anxiety but made me very nauseous.....

And by the way.. I am the exact same age as you... 25 now... was 24 when i did Xanax/Klonopin for a year.

How are you feeling nowadays? Have you retried the syrup use for a third time?

Let me know!!

Thanks

This is an excerpt from the above reference article:

I’ve been using opiates regularly for almost a year. Am I an addict? Probably. Though I solely use them in social settings (rarely by myself) to enhance my own level of social interaction and beat down anxiety. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, among a few other things. I have found that the Klonopins, Lorazepams, and Xanax just don’t cut it. The only thing I have found to be completely affective in warding off my panic attacks, nervousness, etc. is opiates (primarily Hydrocodone, but I’ve done lots and lots of Codeine and Percocet, and when I’m lucky I’ll come across some Oxycontins or Morphine).

I question the wisdom of taking advice from a self-proclaimed addict.  Just to balance out this discussion, I believe that it is in all of us to find healthy ways to deal with our issues/problems/addictions.  But using an unhealthy alternative as a quick fix will never solve our long-term problems.  And in fact, is bound to create bigger problems in the long run.  In my opinion, I just can't see how using morphine, oxycontin, percocet or "lots and lots of codeine" could possibly solve a benzo addiction or any other problem for that matter. 

In my opinion, I just can't see how using morphine, oxycontin, percocet or "lots and lots of codeine" could possibly solve a benzo addiction or any other problem for that matter.   

I agree. Opiate addiction is quick and horrible, and IMO so much worse than benzos in the long run, as it can be life long. It is also much more psychologically insidious. Please, if anyone is considering this, reconsider before it's too late.

And if your doctor has stopped writing your scripts for Benzo's than get a hold off phenobarbital which is a anti seizure/bartbituate drug. That is what they give here in a lot of detox's. Best way is to go to your own doctor or some Urgent Care place and say you need it to control seizures in which case most doctors just write your a prescription since they care about you.

Hi Boyinhtown,

Just as heads-up, the above might be interpreted as you recommending that people lie to their doctor about suffering from seizures as away of obtaining phenobarbitol. If I understand you correctly, all you mean is that they explain that because of a benzo cold turkey, they might need phenobarbitol to stave off the risk of seizure. Can you please rephrase your point. Thanks.

boyinhtown,  im still feeling fine to this day, i can drive around, and live normally without having to eat pills to get around!  i never used the hydrocodone again, as i dont want to become addicted to anything else ever again!  the hydrocodone didnt help at all with my tapering of benzos, just helped me to where i no longer needed the buspar......  its wierd, but i think that i may be on to something here as the hydrocodone did seem to "reset" the receptors in my brain..  hmmm..    sorry for the bad typing my shift button is messed up on this computer.    ;D

Eljay quote,

I agree. Opiate addiction is quick and horrible, and IMO so much worse than benzos in the long run, as it can be life long. It is also much more psychologically insidious. Please, if anyone is considering this, reconsider before it's too late.

Eljay, this might be true for some but your opinion about opiate addiction being much worse than benzos is far from true here. It is probably true in your case seeing as you were on them for such a short time from reading your sig line. Someone that has been on them over 20 yrs. has a much more difficult time trying to get off of benzos than anyone that would have to come off of an opiate period. A well known fact. Many people that take pain killers are not addicted to them at all, I being one of them. I never craved an opiate in my life, they were taken for pain management. And doing a c/t from both opiates and benzos, I am lucky to still be alive, let alone sane trying to get off of a psychotropic period.

And seeing that Hawkeye also came along with the same thoughts, I must add,

It's just wrong to assume that anyone and everyone that touches an opioid will become addicted. And then to say that coming off of them is a lot harder to do than a benzo when you only need to look  through all of the forums of so many people suffering trying to do just that and being so debilitated for so long after they are finished a taper is only proof that proves my point here, IMO. I'd do 1000 w/d's from an opiate rather than doing it from any type of psychiatric drug any day.

Eljay quote,

Eljay, this might be true for some but your opinion about opiate addiction being much worse than benzos is far from true here. It is probably true in your case seeing as you were on them for such a short time from reading your sig line. Someone that has been on them over 20 yrs. has a much more difficult time trying to get off of benzos than anyone that would have to come off of an opiate period. A well known fact. Many people that take pain killers are not addicted to them at all, I being one of them. I never craved an opiate in my life, they were taken for pain management. And doing a c/t from both opiates and benzos, I am lucky to still be alive, let alone sane trying to get off of a psychotropic period.

And seeing that Hawkeye also came along with the same thoughts, I must add,

It's just wrong to assume that anyone and everyone that touches an opioid will become addicted. And then to say that coming off of them is a lot harder to do than a benzo when you only need to look  through all of the forums of so many people suffering trying to do just that and being so debilitated for so long after they are finished a taper is only proof that proves my point here, IMO. I'd do 1000 w/d's from an opiate rather than doing it from any type of psychiatric drug any day.

My point is more that trying to get off benzos with drugs like morphine, hydrocodone, codeine or percocet simply creates more problems.  I don't know how anyone can defend that position.

Unless and until we learn coping skills to manage our lives and commit to resisting the impulse to "take something" as a first measure to address the stressors that come up in our lives, I believe that we will be stuck in a terrible loop.  I believe that you are stuck in this loop skooter and your going back to "taking morph" as you described above [quote: well I'm now taking my morph again to help with all I'm going through with w/d as being on them almost 25 yrs.], is no way out of it, in my opinion.  I know you won't believe this, but it is because I see how much you are suffering, skooter, that I take a risk and say this.  It is sad and frustrating to me that you had your first window in ten months and a day or so later you are back to "taking morph".  I just think this decision can only take those windows away again.

And more importantly for the forum, I think advocating the idea that taking such drugs (as the above article described) as a way to cope with anxiety sends a dangerous message to vulnerable people here on the forum, especially new members.  I believe we have a certain responsibility to all here.

My point is more that trying to get off benzos with drugs like morphine, hydrocodone, codeine or percocet simply creates more problems.  I don't know how anyone can defend that position.

Yes, this was basically my point too. Since you, hawkeye, already made a good case, I didn't feel the need to reiterate.  :)

Opiates have a  potential for problems in the best of circumstances. That's why they are so carefully prescribed, usually only in cases of moderate to severe pain that doesn't respond to first line options. It is a serious medication with a high potential for addiction.

Eljay, this might be true for some but your opinion about opiate addiction being much worse than benzos is far from true here. It is probably true in your case seeing as you were on them for such a short time from reading your sig line.

Hi skooter,

I wasn't using myself as an example. Yes, I had a relatively easy time of  benzo withdrawl. And I've never been addicted to opiates. But aside from personal experience with family and friends, I worked with long time opiate addicts as an RN. I feel this qualifies me to some extent. I know there have been members here that have had to deal with benzo and opiate wd at different times in their lifes and have stated benzos are harder. So yes, I'm sure for some it is.  But that doesn't invalidate what I have said.

I"m glad that opiates work for you and you've never had a problem with them, but there are many who have and will. I don't want other members thinking this is an easy answer to their suffering.

There is a legitimate reason opiates are controlled substances. I believe using them for benzo withdrawal is playing with fire.

HEY Eljay and Hawkeye. Thank you for your input.

Let me clarify very strictly and clearly.. I am NOT advocating a new ADDICTION for any of us. That is Horrible! What I am trying to demonstrate is

the link between opiate use and anxiety relief, as testified by one our own members who started this thread.

Using opiates just once for example to see if it helps is not going to develop into an addiciton.

Now I honestly have some breaking news! For you guys...

Like I have stated I remember having some benefits too from Hydrocodone pills when I was trying anything to help me detox.. but of course with the benzos

still in my system, my anxiety would return ...

But since it has been more than 5 months benzo free after going to detox on Phenobarbital.. yes it was cruel , I did'nt get a chance to taper..

but I tried what he stated above... instead mine was Codeine syrup.. that my dad had for his severe cough..

Well guess what.. and I swear.. My anxiety has all but gone .. it has been 24 hours.. and lingering/annoying anxiety is gone.

I hope it stays that way. I only took one teaspoon of that syrup Cheratussin.

So thank you for starting this thread friend!!! I mean I have not felt like this in 6 months...~!!!

My anxiety had led me to not be able to wear a seatbelt across my chest.. or wear tight shirts...

My anxiety was centered around my chest...and it was really debilating..

Now I am not saying someone start getting 'high' off of this or continously do it... If something is going to work

than it will probably work the first few times...and no one will get addicted by taking one teaspoon of hydrocodone,

unless you have been addicted to opiates before, in which case caution must be exercised.

We can try all sorts of anti deppressants and harmful drugs like Zoloft, Paxil , Serroquel so I dont think

cough syrup is going to do any sort of damange to anyone... especially if it is done ONLY ONCE OR TWICE.

As far as how could opiates help reduce anxiety... here is my theory..

Our brains are very inflammed and sensitive/irritated after withdrawal.. some more than others.. I have always been the OCD type anyways..

Well the opiates are analgesics and they take away inflammation and pain... well i always felt my anxiety in my chest was more of some form of

lingering 'pain' or annoying needles or pricks.. rather than actualy anxiety in which one has elevated blood pressure and heart rate...

Well I just have to say I have not felt this great since my whole fiasco started and I would recommend this to people that have already detoxed

and now are dealing with constant and persistent anxiety that occurs for no obvious reasons.

:)

Again, my point is not whether one will come addicted to opiates/narcotics etc. after taking one dose, however convenient a distraction from the real point that might be.

My point is that many of us have bought into a mind-set that our problems are something to medicate.  This mind-set is "addictive" and as with any addiction, it's purpose is to mask our pain and distract ourselves from reality.

Advocating taking an opiate as a quick fix to benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, especially on a forum like this, is irresponsible.    

NEWS FLASH HAWKEYE!!

The bottom line is that I feel pretty good now after I took a teaspoon of codeine cough syrup.

You can disagreew with me ALL you want or be angry at me for telling my experiences...

You are NOT going to take the joy away from me that I feel now that I have never felt before

and I will share it with everyone.

Take psychotic drugs is what is dangerous, especially if you never had any psychological issues before you started

benzo addiciton.

Your trying to muzzle free speech is what is dangerous.

its been a few weeks since taking that hydrocodone syrup, i do not in any way want any more hydrocodone, i no longer have to take buspar round the clock to control anxiety, and i still feel great to this day. if i would have never takin that codone syrup, i would still be eating buspar and feeling crappy all the time.  there has to be some sort of scientific explaination to this.  i mean it really has helped me TWICE!   im not saying it will help everyone, but i have no regrets what so ever about taking the codone and discovering it made it to where my anxiety was almost non exsistent.  also, i wanted to add that i didnt have any benzos in my system at all, just buspar.  just to clear that up.  i highly agree that codone during a benzo withdraw is not a good idea at all.  and would probably give someone a panic attack lol!    ;D  the codone really just helped me to clear up ALL of that post withdraw anxiety that alot of people seem to get!

Well trust Hawk to really stir things up enough to  make the shit hit the fan so to speak. Ya just always have to pick peoples posts apart to make things seem what they aren't don't ya. I guess if this is what makes you happy, to make others miserable in their sufferings as I posted to you before, you will only continue to hurt so many I keep hearing from that you keep doing this to, as they continue to struggle so hard to just survive.

So I guess I again have made a mistake with my typing and have to clear something up once again. I have not been on morph 25 yrs. I've been on benzos 25 yr's, and also have done a rapid taper, and c/t with 4 different benzo's in the last 7 months alone. I'd say that makes for a much more difficult w/d than can even be fathomed IMO, and yes the suffering is unimaginable, let alone with 1 benzo. So if anyone wants to give me flack for taking something to help me to get through all of this insaneness, well I'd prefer if you keep your own opinions to yourself as I am lucky I'm still alive period with what I've had and have to endure each and everyday 24/7 non stop. I can think of 2 other people here that also do this and they get no flack from when they've mentioned it.

Unless it can be in a supportive nature, please keep your opinions to yourself when it comes to how I am having to deal with MY recovery as I never put down anyone elses taking psychotropics to make their w/d less painful, which IMO are way worse than an opiate as I've been through all of these, and is again my experiences, in my case.

I don't see anyone pushing for people to do something that could make them become addicts here. If this was the case, why the hell would they be on a benzo support group in the first place, and just offering their own experiences as that's what a forum is for. And no this is not in retaliation to what Colin posted either. Things can be taken so wrong here, except when it comes to someone who does these things intentionally over and over and the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

And no this is not in retaliation to what Colin posted either. Things can be taken so wrong here, except when it comes to someone who does these things intentionally over and over and the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

Skooter, we know this isn't in retaliation. Colin wasn't addressing you. You are on morphine, that's fine. I beliieve it isn't primarily for benzo wd symtoms. Also you don't appear to be heavily promoting it to others, I don't think, and that's the point we are trying to make. (Though I may have missed something!)

Samantha,

Just as Skooter also put it, and from what I have seen in multiple rehabs and talked with friends,

opiate addiction is much more manageable than benzo addiction. Benzo addiction is far worse.

According to what you say, your some sort of therapist. I have talked with my own addictionologists

who have clearly stated that the SEDATIVE class of drugs is what causes the most deaths/injury/withdrawals.

I think I will take his 50 year experience overs yours.

Samantha,

Just as Skooter also put it, and from what I have seen in multiple rehabs and talked with friends,

opiate addiction is much more manageable than benzo addiction. Benzo addiction is far worse.

According to what you say, your some sort of therapist. I have talked with my own addictionologists

who have clearly stated that the SEDATIVE class of drugs is what causes the most deaths/injury/withdrawals.

I think I will take his 50 year experience overs yours.

Again, you try to manipulate my words like others on here. You make it seem people are suggesting

that others start on a new opiate addiction. STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH ... especially the so called

admin's of this site.

Skooter I think whatever your doing with morphine is your personal business and you know whats best for you than

what we sitting far from you could about your situation.

Colin doesn't seem to have  a problem with you taking morphine which is THE MOST addictive opiate and step below

from HEROINE... but someone taking cough syrup with codeine... and JUST ONE TEASPOON .. well they are EVIL

and encouraging  recreational drug use.

No one is buying that because just as one of your senior moderators even suggested, I am telling my story and

people are free to read and judge for themselves what works.

Boyinhtown,

For the last time, You are not just telling your story, you are Recommending it to people. Adnauseum. You are all over the boards doing it. Extolling the virtues of a highly addictive prescription drug. You posted the same thing in no less than 5 threads yesterday.  Skooter isn't doing this.

We don't allow the promotion of benzos so why do you think we would allow the promotion of opiates?

Just a heads up.....you really need to stop this now. This is Colin's site. He owns it. He runs it. He gets no pay for what he does here. All expenses to keep this site up comes out of his own pocket. He has helped hundreds if not thousands of people get their health and lives back on track. He's been doing this for 5 years. He knows what he's doing. He is a very patient man, but even his patience is wearing thin.