Author Topic: Question about coming off of buspar with hydrocodone?  (Read 5639 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Question about coming off of buspar with hydrocodone?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »
And if your doctor has stopped writing your scripts for Benzo's than get a hold off phenobarbital which is a anti seizure/bartbituate drug. That is what they give here in a lot of detox's. Best way is to go to your own doctor or some Urgent Care place and say you need it to control seizures in which case most doctors just write your a prescription since they care about you.

Hi [...],

Just as heads-up, the above might be interpreted as you recommending that people lie to their doctor about suffering from seizures as away of obtaining phenobarbitol. If I understand you correctly, all you mean is that they explain that because of a benzo cold turkey, they might need phenobarbitol to stave off the risk of seizure. Can you please rephrase your point. Thanks.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:16:12 pm »
[...],  im still feeling fine to this day, i can drive around, and live normally without having to eat pills to get around!   i never used the hydrocodone again, as i dont want to become addicted to anything else ever again!  the hydrocodone didnt help at all with my tapering of benzos, just helped me to where i no longer needed the buspar......  its wierd, but i think that i may be on to something here as the hydrocodone did seem to "reset" the receptors in my brain..   hmmm..     sorry for the bad typing my shift button is messed up on this computer.     ;D
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:49:19 pm »
[...] quote,

I agree. Opiate addiction is quick and horrible, and IMO so much worse than benzos in the long run, as it can be life long. It is also much more psychologically insidious. Please, if anyone is considering this, reconsider before it's too late.

[...], this might be true for some but your opinion about opiate addiction being much worse than benzos is far from true here. It is probably true in your case seeing as you were on them for such a short time from reading your sig line. Someone that has been on them over 20 yrs. has a much more difficult time trying to get off of benzos than anyone that would have to come off of an opiate period. A well known fact. Many people that take pain killers are not addicted to them at all, I being one of them. I never craved an opiate in my life, they were taken for pain management. And doing a c/t from both opiates and benzos, I am lucky to still be alive, let alone sane trying to get off of a psychotropic period.

And seeing that [...] also came along with the same thoughts, I must add,

It's just wrong to assume that anyone and everyone that touches an opioid will become addicted. And then to say that coming off of them is a lot harder to do than a benzo when you only need to look  through all of the forums of so many people suffering trying to do just that and being so debilitated for so long after they are finished a taper is only proof that proves my point here, IMO. I'd do 1000 w/d's from an opiate rather than doing it from any type of psychiatric drug any day.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:47:55 pm »
[...] quote,

I agree. Opiate addiction is quick and horrible, and IMO so much worse than benzos in the long run, as it can be life long. It is also much more psychologically insidious. Please, if anyone is considering this, reconsider before it's too late.

[...], this might be true for some but your opinion about opiate addiction being much worse than benzos is far from true here. It is probably true in your case seeing as you were on them for such a short time from reading your sig line. Someone that has been on them over 20 yrs. has a much more difficult time trying to get off of benzos than anyone that would have to come off of an opiate period. A well known fact. Many people that take pain killers are not addicted to them at all, I being one of them. I never craved an opiate in my life, they were taken for pain management. And doing a c/t from both opiates and benzos, I am lucky to still be alive, let alone sane trying to get off of a psychotropic period.

And seeing that [...] also came along with the same thoughts, I must add,

It's just wrong to assume that anyone and everyone that touches an opioid will become addicted. And then to say that coming off of them is a lot harder to do than a benzo when you only need to look  through all of the forums of so many people suffering trying to do just that and being so debilitated for so long after they are finished a taper is only proof that proves my point here, IMO. I'd do 1000 w/d's from an opiate rather than doing it from any type of psychiatric drug any day.

My point is more that trying to get off benzos with drugs like morphine, hydrocodone, codeine or percocet simply creates more problems.  I don't know how anyone can defend that position.

Unless and until we learn coping skills to manage our lives and commit to resisting the impulse to "take something" as a first measure to address the stressors that come up in our lives, I believe that we will be stuck in a terrible loop.  I believe that you are stuck in this loop [...] and your going back to "taking morph" as you described above [quote: well I'm now taking my morph again to help with all I'm going through with w/d as being on them almost 25 yrs.], is no way out of it, in my opinion.  I know you won't believe this, but it is because I see how much you are suffering, [...], that I take a risk and say this.  It is sad and frustrating to me that you had your first window in ten months and a day or so later you are back to "taking morph".  I just think this decision can only take those windows away again.

And more importantly for the forum, I think advocating the idea that taking such drugs (as the above article described) as a way to cope with anxiety sends a dangerous message to vulnerable people here on the forum, especially new members.  I believe we have a certain responsibility to all here.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:58 pm »

My point is more that trying to get off benzos with drugs like morphine, hydrocodone, codeine or percocet simply creates more problems.  I don't know how anyone can defend that position.

Yes, this was basically my point too. Since you, [...], already made a good case, I didn't feel the need to reiterate.  :)

Opiates have a  potential for problems in the best of circumstances. That's why they are so carefully prescribed, usually only in cases of moderate to severe pain that doesn't respond to first line options. It is a serious medication with a high potential for addiction.

[...], this might be true for some but your opinion about opiate addiction being much worse than benzos is far from true here. It is probably true in your case seeing as you were on them for such a short time from reading your sig line.

Hi [...],

I wasn't using myself as an example. Yes, I had a relatively easy time of  benzo withdrawl. And I've never been addicted to opiates. But aside from personal experience with family and friends, I worked with long time opiate addicts as an RN. I feel this qualifies me to some extent. I know there have been members here that have had to deal with benzo and opiate wd at different times in their lifes and have stated benzos are harder. So yes, I'm sure for some it is.  But that doesn't invalidate what I have said.

I"m glad that opiates work for you and you've never had a problem with them, but there are many who have and will. I don't want other members thinking this is an easy answer to their suffering.

There is a legitimate reason opiates are controlled substances. I believe using them for benzo withdrawal is playing with fire.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:19:14 am »
HEY [...] and [...]. Thank you for your input.

Let me clarify very strictly and clearly.. I am NOT advocating a new ADDICTION for any of us. That is Horrible! What I am trying to demonstrate is
the link between opiate use and anxiety relief, as testified by one our own members who started this thread.

Using opiates just once for example to see if it helps is not going to develop into an addiciton.

Now I honestly have some breaking news! For you guys...

Like I have stated I remember having some benefits too from Hydrocodone pills when I was trying anything to help me detox.. but of course with the benzos
still in my system, my anxiety would return ...

But since it has been more than 5 months benzo free after going to detox on Phenobarbital.. yes it was cruel , I did'nt get a chance to taper..

but I tried what he stated above... instead mine was Codeine syrup.. that my dad had for his severe cough..

Well guess what.. and I swear.. My anxiety has all but gone .. it has been 24 hours.. and lingering/annoying anxiety is gone.

I hope it stays that way. I only took one teaspoon of that syrup Cheratussin.

So thank you for starting this thread friend!!! I mean I have not felt like this in 6 months...~!!!

My anxiety had led me to not be able to wear a seatbelt across my chest.. or wear tight shirts...
My anxiety was centered around my chest...and it was really debilating..

Now I am not saying someone start getting 'high' off of this or continously do it... If something is going to work
than it will probably work the first few times...and no one will get addicted by taking one teaspoon of hydrocodone,
unless you have been addicted to opiates before, in which case caution must be exercised.

We can try all sorts of anti deppressants and harmful drugs like Zoloft, Paxil , Serroquel so I dont think
cough syrup is going to do any sort of damange to anyone... especially if it is done ONLY ONCE OR TWICE.

As far as how could opiates help reduce anxiety... here is my theory..

Our brains are very inflammed and sensitive/irritated after withdrawal.. some more than others.. I have always been the OCD type anyways..

Well the opiates are analgesics and they take away inflammation and pain... well i always felt my anxiety in my chest was more of some form of
lingering 'pain' or annoying needles or pricks.. rather than actualy anxiety in which one has elevated blood pressure and heart rate...

Well I just have to say I have not felt this great since my whole fiasco started and I would recommend this to people that have already detoxed
and now are dealing with constant and persistent anxiety that occurs for no obvious reasons.

:)

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:34 pm »
Again, my point is not whether one will come addicted to opiates/narcotics etc. after taking one dose, however convenient a distraction from the real point that might be.

My point is that many of us have bought into a mind-set that our problems are something to medicate.  This mind-set is "addictive" and as with any addiction, it's purpose is to mask our pain and distract ourselves from reality.

Advocating taking an opiate as a quick fix to benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, especially on a forum like this, is irresponsible.    
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:25:32 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »
NEWS FLASH [...]!!

The bottom line is that I feel pretty good now after I took a teaspoon of codeine cough syrup.

You can disagreew with me ALL you want or be angry at me for telling my experiences...

You are NOT going to take the joy away from me that I feel now that I have never felt before
and I will share it with everyone.

Take psychotic drugs is what is dangerous, especially if you never had any psychological issues before you started
benzo addiciton.

Your trying to muzzle free speech is what is dangerous.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 07:34:27 pm »
its been a few weeks since taking that hydrocodone syrup, i do not in any way want any more hydrocodone, i no longer have to take buspar round the clock to control anxiety, and i still feel great to this day. if i would have never takin that codone syrup, i would still be eating buspar and feeling crappy all the time.  there has to be some sort of scientific explaination to this.  i mean it really has helped me TWICE!   im not saying it will help everyone, but i have no regrets what so ever about taking the codone and discovering it made it to where my anxiety was almost non exsistent.  also, i wanted to add that i didnt have any benzos in my system at all, just buspar.  just to clear that up.  i highly agree that codone during a benzo withdraw is not a good idea at all.  and would probably give someone a panic attack lol!    ;D   the codone really just helped me to clear up ALL of that post withdraw anxiety that alot of people seem to get!

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 08:02:03 pm »