Author Topic: Question about coming off of buspar with hydrocodone?  (Read 5698 times)

[Buddie]

Question about coming off of buspar with hydrocodone?
« on: May 10, 2009, 05:14:13 am »
The doc gave me buspar for anxiety.  I had to take that stuff like clockwork for it to help with anxiety (I knew when i needed anotherone.)  It was doing pretty good at keeping me from having full blown panic attacks(but never really taking away all the anxiety.  Anyways, I was on the buspar like clockwork, and came down with a chest cold.  The doc gave me come hydrocodone syrup.  The hydrocodone syrup relieved all of my anxiety, and made it to where i went down from 60mg's of buspar a day, to 0mg's in just a few days!   My hydrocodone ran out, and i was worried that the anxiety would return but it didnt.  I felt like crap the few days after drinking the syrup but no anxiety.  Its been two weeks now, no hydrocodone, no buspar, feeling great.  Why is that?  There has to be something behind this, why would the hydrocodone take away anxiety to the point where I no longer needed the buspar?     And after thinking, IT has done this twice with me...  A few years back I was hooked on xanex, went through a terrrible 6 months weaning down and having panic attacks.  The doc put me on buspar, and klonipin, weaned off the klono's the got to where all i needed was buspar.  And The same exact thing happened!  got ahold of some hydrocodone, and no longer needed the buspar!   I went 8 months with no anxiety what so ever living life like a normal 24 year old!  But the anxiety returned for some reason without taking any benzos?  I havent taken a benzo since june 07??  The human brain is a funny thing sometimes.  Sorry for ramblin on and on, but just was kinda wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience?  Any input would be great. Thx.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Question about coming off of buspar with hydrocodone?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:46 pm »
I can't recall ever being on hydrocodone, so I can't say if tht would help or not. I'm glad it worked for you!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:20:08 am »
WOW Kev,

thats some news!!! I did c/t's from many drugs over the last yr and wish I'd of known what I know now. I did the morph I was on first, was very ill but it went away, so then started on all my benzos (didn't even know what that was :idiot:) ha boy did I learn.

I now sure wish I'd of done the benzos first and then the morph!!!

Thanks for the info!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:02:33 am »
That is terrific that it helped you. Benzo's are fat soluble so they last and linger in tissue for a long time. So perhaps most
of your anxiety was muscle related and the hydrocodone helped take the muscle aches/pain away.

I'm not sure though but I can remember that I was takign excedrin extra strengh (double dose) at a time while trying to cold turkey off of Xanax and it did help me a little by falling asleep and no anxiety for two days. Allthought, I had the worst panic attack ever and had to be rushed to the ER in an ambulance. So of course, everyone, please TAPER TAPER TAPER.

And if your doctor has stopped writing your scripts for Benzo's than get a hold off phenobarbital which is a anti seizure/bartbituate drug. That is what they give here in a lot of detox's. Best way is to go to your own doctor or some Urgent Care place and say you need it to control seizures in which case most doctors just write your a prescription since they care about you.

My dosage was intially:

1st day: 120 mg
2nd Day : 120 mg
3rd Day : 90 mg
4th Day: 60
5th Day : 60
6th Day: 30
7th Day: 30
8th Day: 0

You can cycle back on it for a few more weeks just give it a few days in between because Pheno builds
up in your body. And than try starting with 60mg or less. That is what I did for 6 weeks... helped me
since I had been forced to cold turkey off of it.

Been clean 5 months! and I feel great! Occasional anxiety mostly at night but tolerable since it is mild.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:05:08 am »
I highly agree that benzos should be weaned off of.  but i was taking buspar, its not a benzo, and supposedly has no withdraw symtoms with it.  the hydrocodone somehow helped get me off of the non narcotic buspar med.  I dont think it would have helped me one bit with benzo tapering or withdraw.     ;)

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:31:52 am »
Hi kids,

well I'm now taking my morph again to help with all I'm going through with w/d as being on them almost 25 yrs. and c/t from 4 different ones throughout a 5 month period, has made me extremely ill unfortunatly. I am nowhere near the amt. I was taking for chronic pain (which I now attribute to the benzos, as I have mentioned, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box) and they are now helping me in quite a few different ways with my titration now. I still have some awful terrible physical s/x's but I'm able to when needed, go out which I couldn't do before due to agoraphobia plus the physical. I also have no anxiety, am able to talk to people, and much more mentally. So I have to say that because of my situation and age :tickedoff: that an opiate is what's getting me through this. I don't take everyday either because if I'm able to go on with my day without it, then I don't take it. I don't know if buspar would be a better drug to taper and am interested if one could switch from a benzo to buspar to do a taper??? Any thoughts??

I still say though, knowing what I know now, I'd taper a benzo first and then let the narcotic be the very last. And again thanks for the info Kev

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43:29 am »
You know that is my EXACT situation. I have lingering anxiety.. the annoying kind. I dont get increased heart rate or nething like that.. just pure anxiety in its truest mental form...And I feel like after 5 months of no benzo use that I am very close to being done with it.. but never actually getting there... I think are receptors need something to 'reset' them to their previous state......hey I am going to try that hydrocodone syrup.. because I remember that when i was trying to withdraw
I did use some hydrocodone and it DID help with anxiety but made me very nauseous.....

And by the way.. I am the exact same age as you... 25 now... was 24 when i did Xanax/Klonopin for a year.

How are you feeling nowadays? Have you retried the syrup use for a third time?

Let me know!!

Thanks

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:26 am »
I have been doing research and I found out that Opiates do work on the Central Nervous System of course just like Benzos...

Also check this site out... a guy tells of how he has used hydrocodone like you and me to relieve anxiety...

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=21615

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:54:45 pm »
This is an excerpt from the above reference article:

Iíve been using opiates regularly for almost a year. Am I an addict? Probably. Though I solely use them in social settings (rarely by myself) to enhance my own level of social interaction and beat down anxiety. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, among a few other things. I have found that the Klonopins, Lorazepams, and Xanax just donít cut it. The only thing I have found to be completely affective in warding off my panic attacks, nervousness, etc. is opiates (primarily Hydrocodone, but Iíve done lots and lots of Codeine and Percocet, and when Iím lucky Iíll come across some Oxycontins or Morphine).

I question the wisdom of taking advice from a self-proclaimed addict.  Just to balance out this discussion, I believe that it is in all of us to find healthy ways to deal with our issues/problems/addictions.  But using an unhealthy alternative as a quick fix will never solve our long-term problems.  And in fact, is bound to create bigger problems in the long run.  In my opinion, I just can't see how using morphine, oxycontin, percocet or "lots and lots of codeine" could possibly solve a benzo addiction or any other problem for that matter.   

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:42:05 pm »
In my opinion, I just can't see how using morphine, oxycontin, percocet or "lots and lots of codeine" could possibly solve a benzo addiction or any other problem for that matter.   

I agree. Opiate addiction is quick and horrible, and IMO so much worse than benzos in the long run, as it can be life long. It is also much more psychologically insidious. Please, if anyone is considering this, reconsider before it's too late.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:57:44 pm by [Buddie] »