How long to wait out new cut rate?

[Ca...]

Hello. I have been doing this for over a year now, lots of trial and error in the beginning, as many of us have experienced. Have been holding a daily cut rate of .0011mg for many months fairly mild to no symptoms other than during times of extra stress or monthly cycle but feel ready to try to increase my cut rate. In the past I have inched up by .0001mg at a time as after two days into a new cut rate I usually feels some symptoms and get frightened. Since I am almost at .68mg I want to try to raise my cut rate and see if I can ride it for a while before having to slow down. I know I always see the recommended test out a new cut rate for at least two weeks, minimum, but I was wondering if others could share their experiences in if they do get new symptoms with a new cut rate, if they in fact settle down, and if it is they do, about how many days at the new rate did they settle down and they knew that the new cut rate was going to be okay? I guess in the past I just noticed the uptick in symptoms, got nervous and backed down. Saw a recent post saying sometimes it takes a while to adjust to a new cut rate and then it is okay, so was hoping others would be willing to share their experiences to give me a little oomph to try to ride it out and see if a new cut rate takes. Thanks

Hi Calicogirl,

I have tried different taper rates and found that increasing the rate had a similar effect to when I switched to liquid or to a dry cut.  My symptoms increased significantly for about 2 weeks, but then did settle back to baseline.  The way I could tell that I increased my taper rate too much was when I tried going from 0.002 mg/day to 0.004 mg/day and after about 5 days I just couldn't take the symptoms and updosed a bit and then continued at 0.002 mg/day. Later, I experimented with 0.003 mg/day, which is where I am at now, and that resulted in increased symptoms for ~2 weeks before subsiding to my baseline.  For me the key is "intensity" of symptoms.  If you increase your rate and can still tolerate the symptoms then I would suggest staying at that rate for at least a couple of weeks.  Hopefully you will have a similar experience and be able to edge up your taper rate.  Don't be afraid of higher intensity of symptoms in the beginning.  That is to be expected.

Okay thank you. I will give this a try.  Good to know it may take two weeks to get back to baseline. For me when I switched to milk I did not notice any symptoms at all and in fact it was switching to the milk that actually seemed to have helped with my poor sleep at the time.

I agree. Also remember that the worry about increasing symptoms when you take up cut right... will of course  actually bring symptoms! No way to tell if its the cut or the anxiety of the cut without waiting a bit.

I agree. In my case I know I need to keep my speed for 14-20 days before doing any change, I do think my body adjusts to a specific rate and once it is adjusted, I can either increase or decrease a little bit again...lately I am doing increaments for example from 0.00266 to 0.0027 then to 0.00273...I am too chicken I know    :D  bc I am going to start to decrease from 0.0028 to 0.00275 due to stressful months at work (May and June) and to keep myself within the stated in the Ashton manual.

CalicoGirl, you are doing a very safe taper, so you can do little increaments to say from 0.0011 to 0.0017 for 20 days, then to 0.0020 for 20 days, then to 0.0023... And so on, just wait for at least 2 weeks, 20 days if possible, before making any change for your brain to adjust to a specific rate.

Clona  :)

Hi Calicogirl,

I am trying to climb the ladder with my cut rate and increased from .0030 to .0035 on Thursday,so it is now day 5. I felt horrible day 3 and 4 with the same symptoms that you mention. Yesterday it was pretty bad and I was seriously contemplating going back to the old rate,but found the energy to mow my lawn. I felt a little better after that and decided to keep it going,so I went for a walk around the track at the local school and ended up doing 3 miles,and that helped a lot. Today the symptoms seem to be subsiding. I know if I had just wallowed in the symptoms yesterday they would have gotten worse,so I think the key is taking some sort of action. If they start acting up again I'm going walking again...I'm sore as hell,but I'm going to force myself to do it. I'm a little a worried about what work will bring this week...hoping my sleep isn't affected.

This seems to be the pattern for me with the cut increases: Really bad days 3-4, tolerable but annoying days 5-8, getting back to baseline days  8-10.

I am going to give this one a good two weeks.If this cut works out I plan on holding there for 3 weeks or so and then upping it again. My goal is .0041 which would end my taper around Christmas time.

It's a bitch with all the ups and downs, but I'm worried about running out of gas with a prolonged taper. 

TH

Thank all of you for the encouragement. At the end of the month I plan to increase my cut. I am unsure of the exact amount just yet but it has been especially helpful to get a sense of where others have been trying to get the cut rates to. I have usually always given up within a few days of increased symptoms and hence have only gotten to where I am at. The largest cut I have ever even tried was .0012mg a day. I have been at .0011mg for about three months now. Most days feel symptom free. I have am grateful for how far I have come but I am starting to feel emotionally fatigued at the thought of his taper taking another two years and feel I need to brave up and try a higher cut rate. It really helps hearing other BB members say that they have returned to baseline after a week to three weeks and that perhaps I was just never giving it enough time. I also think I have timed my new cuts poorly in the past not realizing that trying a new cut rate would be best after finishing my monthly cycle. So this time I am going to give a new cut rate a go for at least 2 weeks. And have the support of family and friends to try to keep me distracted and also thanks for the tip about trying to stay physically active. I appreciate everyone's support and input. Calico

Also thanks for the reminder Mark M that one can cause the anxiety about an increase. I know that I have certainly done my share.

Okay, right, today I started my new increased cut rate from .0011mg to .0015mg. I am going to give it a go for at least 2 weeks. Here's hoping. Thank you BBuddies for the encouragement to try it.  :)