Visual afterimages, dim vision, light sensitivity, seeing shadows

[Cr...]

My vision just keeps getting worse, aside from the perceptual distortions and blurriness i have both negative and positive afterimages (seeing what you were looking at for minutes after looking away) i also see shadows on the wall that i cannot figure out what they are coming from, usually in slight peripheral when im looking at something else. My static is getting worse and everything is really dim, yet im sensitive to light at the same time and seeing all kinds of colored sparks shapes and flashing....please chime in and help me, im really losing it.

Welcome to benzo-land. Everything you describe I experienced at one point or another. Fortunately, it was not as sinister a sx as the mind crushing anxiety or relentless insomnia.

I have the exact same symptoms, the dim blurry vision, which feels worse in low light, shadowy darkness in peripheral vision, in fact I hate looking at shadows because that extra bit of darkness makes me feel nearly blind. When I see a light source like a bulb, fluorescent light, or car headlights and then look away I see spots, shapes and traces of light in my vision for several minutes afterwards. My eyes are too slow to move and have a hard time focusing and adjusting to changes in lighting.

Well, yes, but it's improved quite a bit, I can force myself out for a walk after sunset, or drive in the dark if there's no choice and I REALLY have to, and a lot of it is being made worse by the head pressure and pressure on my forehead and around the eyes. So it won't be the same for you and will get better.

I find night to be better....i cant see, but that stops the visual distortion of the horizon swaying when i walk and crazy afterimages from EVERYthing i look at,

Im seeing a neuro eye doc soon.

Crazypants-There is no point going to doctors when you are in recovery. They know nothing about the w/d s/x. All of your symptoms are benzo related and the only thing that will heal them is time. The brain has to re program!! I personally would save your money and not go to any doctors right now.

Hi Crazypants, I had the dim vision for a while but it seems to have left me now. I wouldnt worry about going to the doctors as I'm sure its benzo related and will heal in time. Visual disturbances are common in benzo wd.

It is NEVER good advice to tell someone not to go to a doctor when they are having fairly bizarre symptoms.

I was found to have a rare genetic eye disorder known as vitelliform dystrophy. As far as I know, no one in my family has it or has ever had it. It is completely possible that the stress from benzo withdrawal activated that genetic tendency. More accurately, the long term elevated cortisol flood from benzo withdrawal activated the genetic disorder.

As it turns out, there is no treatment, so my going to a doctor didn't matter all that much. But we need to allow and encourage our peers to seek appropriate medical advice. Hopefully it is nothing at all, but then CrazyPants will have some peace of mind, after being cleared.

Flip

Will be keeping my appointment. Appreciate the input everyone, but sight is not something I'm willing to mess with. If your vision was as tweaked as mine, you'd understand. I have over 25 eye symptoms alone and they have only been getting worse....

I agree with Flip....sx that worry us should be checked out.. if for no other reason than the reassurance that comes from knowing we are ok. The less stress we have in this process the better. I had floaties in my eye and went in...I was glad that I did as my opthomologist told me how important it is to watch for signs of detached retina that can sometimes progress from simple floaties. For detached retina it's important to go in sooner than later as early repair saves eye sight. ...I believe that most of our sx are w/d but it is foolish not to check out stuff. . coop

I find night to be better....i cant see, but that stops the visual distortion of the horizon swaying when i walk and crazy afterimages from EVERYthing i look at,

Me too....I get them covered sparks of random light sometimes too. Its kinda like when you get hit in the head and see stars.

This benzo w/d and Lyme disease on top of it, may have caused me so much stress, that I believe I've had a stroke and so does my doc who wants me to get a brain MRI.  I was diagnosed with Thrombophilia before the benzo's with a high antibody that can cause stroke or MI.  I am so sensitive to sunlight now that I squint and get lightheaded when the sunlight is on me.  Sometimes I nearly pass out.  I have sparkles around my left eye sometimes and can't even see for about a half hour which scares me. 

• 9 months later...