Question about Bliss Johns

[Sa...]

Does anyone know how long it took her to heal completely? I can't find this information anywhere and it's frustrating! Anyways, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Sam

From what I remember from Bliss's book Benzo-Wise it took her two and a half years to recover. She had a flu virus towards the end of her second year off and it didn't trigger a withdrawal wave as it had done earler in the first eighteen months of withdrawal. She took this to be a sign that she was well on her way to recovery, continued windows followed this until she felt fully healed.

Debbie

Hi here is a link to Bliss's boo kyou can read a lot of it on  this Amazon  link free, and the other link is to the website she started, she was in Tolerance withdrawal for at least four year's before she realized what was happening and it was another few year's going thorough withdrawal, and recovery, I think it took her 8 year's. I have the book but can't find it right now and can't remember whats what as I'm in bad withdrawal myself sorry .

Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Recovery and Renewal: Your Essential Guide to Overcoming Dependency and Withdrawal from Sleeping Pills, Other 'Benzo' Tranquillisers and Antidepressants Paperback – 21 May 2014

by Baylissa Frederick (Author)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Recovery-Renewal-Overcoming-Tranquillisers-Antidepressants/dp/1849055343/ref=sr_1

Recovery Road http://recovery-road.org/

I read her book and I am confused.  Her description of what she went through sounds mild compared to the horrors I have gotten a taste of going in and out of withdrawals on Xanax after a horrific, barbaric ct. 

Am I really THAT much worse than everyone else on here?? :'( :'( :'( :'(

I read her book and I am confused.  Her description of what she went through sounds mild compared to the horrors I have gotten a taste of going in and out of withdrawals on Xanax after a horrific, barbaric ct. 

Hiya Valerie.  Bliss says she down played the severity of her symptoms because she didn't want to worry people reading her account.  She makes a big effort to retain a positive outlook.  However from time to time you get glimpses in her writings of how extraordinarily tough it was for her.

Having said that, her withdrawal is not the most extreme you will come across. 

I think Jennifer Leigh, another therapist, paints a more dramatic picture of what she had to endure but unfortunately a lot of her posts got lost in a system crash.  http://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/

Thank you for answering, Braban.  I tried to read about her but the site is still not restored.  I'm not sure why anyone would write a book and downplay symptoms.  I've posted about my severe head symptoms here, two of the posts got no response. 

I feel very hopeless and scared :'(

Thank you for answering, Braban.  I tried to read about her but the site is still not restored.  I'm not sure why anyone would write a book and downplay symptoms.  I've posted about my severe head symptoms here, two of the posts got no response. 

I feel very hopeless and scared :'(

Hello Valerie.  I'm very sorry hear about your condition.  I took a look at the posts you mention and it seems as if you are describing, amongst other things, something like a long lasting migraine or some sort of chronic brain dysfunction.  It must be disabling and very uncomfortable.

I checked Bliss's web site and it seems to be working.  This is the link I used.  http://recovery-road.org/

Her book is a piece of crap. It's like she had a cold or something that lasted 2 years . I would punch her in face just for asking money for it , total lack of content that she claims to provide .

yeah people :thumbsup:

for some hard core multiple CT and failed suicides

and multiple reinstatements

this book won't do ****

i bought it for 45 pounds i think...

damn...so expensive...

i left it to my husband, maybe he will have a look at this book one day...

and he will find at the end of it , my suicide letter

where i was telling to him how much i love my girl and him....

its my farewell letter to that monkey....

so yeah...actually at one point she admits that her ride has nothing to do with other

peoples horrors who have no windows for years....

thanks for letting us to share our experience about this book...

v

Alex23,

I thought it was just me.  Her book is a horrible injustice to me and anyone going through the horrors that I was, and will be again, experiencing.

I'm trying a c/o to Valium, but I'm not hopeful at all.  I'm getting some relief, but I do not feel human.  I don't feel I can taper a crumb.  I feel beyond all repair.

vasilisa,

Hang on a long as you possibly can, and then hang on longer than you ever thought you could.  That is what I hope to have the strength to do :'(

I have read her book, I understand her predicament, that does happen to people that after reading it might be to much to,handle all at once. I also know she is trying to help people as much as she can.  Imo  of course.

I have read her book, I understand her predicament, that does happen to people that after reading it might be to much to,handle all at once. I also know she is trying to help people as much as she can.  Imo  of course.

I'm kind of surprised by the angry reaction to Bliss John's book.  I found it very comforting and I know a lot of others have too.  My husband read her short section for caregivers and it really gave him insight.  I thought her recovery sounded horrific and drawn out.  I'm sorry others of you feel your situation is much worse, but I'm not sure why that makes you angry she wrote a book trying to help other people.  :-[  She doesn't minimize the suffering of others or try to claim she personally handled it better.  I thought it was mostly just a chronicle of endurance.  Which is pretty much what all of our stories end up being in the end...how we endured.

Yes I agree with the last post. I have her book and it sounded like she went thru a dreadful,protracted withdrawal. But the good news is now she is completely well and running her own counselling practice. Good on her. She set up a very informative website called Recovery Road and over the years has counselled and encouraged many peole going thru benzo withdrawal.

I debated buying her book at one point, however, as a college student I am usually broker than most and the fairly expensive pricetag is deterring.

I know that i will be going through this quite a bit longer...possibly for years to come. But its comforting to know that she healed...be it 3 or 8 years?

I understand your frustration about the book...

Her book is a piece of crap. It's like she had a cold or something that lasted 2 years . I would punch her in face just for asking money for it , total lack of content that she claims to provide .

Hi, being a bad detox case it wasn't much helpful to me either....

but I'm sure a lot of people who will go through a similar journey as

Bliss did ..... get a lot of reassurance .

Btw Alex23, remember the discussion about DP/DR ?

You weren't pleased at all about the comments you got.

Well, I found this.....written by Matt Samet.....I wonder if his version

comes close to your experience.

http://www.benzosupport.org/my_dp_dr.htm

Hope it helps a little..... :)

Bliss John took 24 months to recover.  She did say she tried to be more positive and not go into every detail of the terrible side effects she endured.  She promotes distractions. Which is about all we can do when we are going through this living hell.

Korbe

Now that's not a very nice thing to say.....I don't believe she is a professional writer. Well, to each his own......

[7c...]

I read her book too and while she was bedridden the revised edition does not talk about horrific mental symptoms. My boyfriend said in the previous book he swears she said she had horrific mental symptoms along with physical. She told me herself she was insane in withdrawal completely insane but the new revision doesn't convey that at all.

I read her book too and while she was bedridden the revised edition does not talk about horrific mental symptoms. My boyfriend said in the previous book he swears she said she had horrific mental symptoms along with physical. She told me herself she was insane in withdrawal completely insane but the new revision doesn't convey that at all.

Did she say why the revised edition does not talk about the horrific mental symptoms?  My mental and brain symptoms are off the charts and horrifying beyond belief.  I also feel as if I'm being electrocuted.  I crossed over to Valium after a horrific, barbaric ct., and a grotesque seizure.  Actually, it was the time before the seizure that was so surreal and horrific.  I wish I would have died from the seizure.  I'm looking at years and years of agony and suffering.  I don't see any point in sugar coating this :'(

Did she say why the revised edition does not talk about the horrific mental symptoms?  My mental and brain symptoms are off the charts and horrifying beyond belief.  I also feel as if I'm being electrocuted.  I crossed over to Valium after a horrific, barbaric ct., and a grotesque seizure.  Actually, it was the time before the seizure that was so surreal and horrific. I wish I would have died from the seizure.  I'm looking at years and years of agony and suffering.  I don't see any point in sugar coating this :'(

Dear Valerie, I don't see any point in sugar coating it either , after my brutal

detox experience I can imagine how horrendous your experience must

have been, so sorry it happened to you.

But I can tell you this.....unless you are 80 years old ....even if it takes

you a couple of years ( after you've been off this Valium shit),

it will be worth it.

I'm 30 months off after detox.....its like a rebirth....a painful one....

but who cares ? must get my health back , must fight for it.....

you can do it too Valerie.....I wish you get the strength and patience....

all the best. :smitten:

I wonder how many substantially different versions Bliss wrote?  Putting aside her second book "With Hope In My Heart", I know her first book "Benzo Wise" was reissued as "Recovery and Renewal"

(1)  When I go to the Amazon web page for "Benzo Wise" (Mar 29, 2009) I see it was reissued under the same title as a revised edition (March 19, 2010).

(2) My copy of "Recovery and Renewal" is dated 2012 but I see "Recovery And Renewal" has also been reissued in a revised edition (May 21, 2014).

Does that make 4 different versions of the same book?  Perhaps we are not all reading the same text.