Gabapentin

[Bl...]

How could this possibly be a medication utilized for withdrawal? It targets the same exacts receptors and is now causing me withdrawal effects that are equally as bad, if not worse, than benzos.

I'm scared as to how long the withdrawals is gonna last, and I feel its wiped out a lot of healing that my gaba receptors did.

How could this possibly be a medication utilized for withdrawal? It targets the same exacts receptors and is now causing me withdrawal effects that are equally as bad, if not worse, than benzos.

I'm scared as to how long the withdrawals is gonna last, and I feel its wiped out a lot of healing that my gaba receptors did.

No, it does not.

Gabapentin does NOT bind to GABA receptors at levels as high as 1 milli mole (1000 micro moles). (that is apparently equivalent to a daily dose of 48,000 milligrams)

"Only at the highest concentration tested

(171 μg/mL; 1 mM) was a slight degree of inhibition (14% to 30%) observed with isoform

CYP2A6. No inhibition was observed with any of the other isoforms tested at gabapentin

concentrations up to 171 μg/mL (approximately 15 times the Cmax at 3600 mg/day). "

"The mechanism of the anticonvulsant action of gabapentin appears to be distinctly different from

that of other antiepileptic drugs. Although structurally similar to GABA, gabapentin at

concentrations up to 1000 µM, did not bind to GABA receptors, it was not metabolized to

GABA or a GABA agonist, and it did not inhibit the uptake of GABA or its degradation by

GABA-transaminase. Therefore, it does not appear to act through any known GABA

mechanism, in contrast to the benzodiazepines, barbiturates, sodium valproate and other similar

agents.

http://www.pfizer.ca/en/our_products/products/monograph/128

It does apparently affect GABA synthesis by modulating the action of GAD the enzyme that catalyzes glutamate into GABA.

Yes i been doing a lot of research on this cuz im on it and terrified. Apparently it turs glutamate into gaba. It acts as a calcium channel blocker. Magnesium aparently does bind to gaba a receptors though. Just learned that today. I think ive hit tolerance or something on this med. My nerve pain is worse my depression is worse and this fear is crippling me. Everytime it starts to drift away it gets pulled right back. Its consuming me. I fear the gaba is somehow tied to this

No, it does not.

Gabapentin does NOT bind to GABA receptors at levels as high as 1 milli mole (1000 micro moles). (that is apparently equivalent to a daily dose of 48,000 milligrams)

"Only at the highest concentration tested

(171 μg/mL; 1 mM) was a slight degree of inhibition (14% to 30%) observed with isoform

CYP2A6. No inhibition was observed with any of the other isoforms tested at gabapentin

concentrations up to 171 μg/mL (approximately 15 times the Cmax at 3600 mg/day). "

"The mechanism of the anticonvulsant action of gabapentin appears to be distinctly different from

that of other antiepileptic drugs. Although structurally similar to GABA, gabapentin at

concentrations up to 1000 µM, did not bind to GABA receptors, it was not metabolized to

GABA or a GABA agonist, and it did not inhibit the uptake of GABA or its degradation by

GABA-transaminase. Therefore, it does not appear to act through any known GABA

mechanism, in contrast to the benzodiazepines, barbiturates, sodium valproate and other similar

agents.

http://www.pfizer.ca/en/our_products/products/monograph/128

It does apparently affect GABA synthesis by modulating the action of GAD the enzyme that catalyzes glutamate into GABA.

Could you maybe dumb that down for me. Cog fog is bad today. lol

Basically benzos attach directly to gaba receptors creating a calming affect. Gabapentin attatches to the calcium channel which turns excess glutamate which is the excitatory neuron into gaba the calming neuron. So gabapentin makes more gaba neurons available to attach to the gaba a receptor sites. So you are probably experiencing withdrawl from that on top of the benzo withdrawl. Probably having a lot of excess glutamate. Which will make benzo symptoms worse for sure. Magnesium is supposed to be good for gaba withdrawl

Got it.

So the state of a person's benzo withdrawal shouldn't affect their gabapentin wtihdrawal, right? I understand that gabapentin wtihdrawal can make benzo withdrawal feel worse, but if someone is going through rough benzo withdrawals the gabapentin withdrawals shouldn't be prolonged or otherwise affected by it right?

Also...

My hair has been falling out like crazy since I got off of it. I had the same thing happen when I got off benzos the first time. Could this be from the gabapentin or from the three rescue doses I took?

Could you maybe dumb that down for me. Cog fog is bad today. lol

gabapentin does not bind to or target the benzodiazepine complex on the GABAA receptor

Sure -- even though Gabapentin was initially designed to be a GABA analogue

it does not bind to GABA --

it affects GABA levels in the brain in a different way.

I am worried that this pill is making my fear and depression worse though. Having the severe severe waves where i feel the absolute need to kill myself to make it stop. Or is this extreme terror from the benzo withdrawl? I been feeling very physically ill also but i did ct 5 times and ive only been off phenobarbital for 2.5 months

From personal experience, gabapentin made me much worse.

As soon as I stopped, my depression and anger were lifted within days. Still dealt with a lot of horrible physical withdrawals though which are present today.

Im not sure. I been on it for 6 months. Ive always been afraid its affecting me. But comet. Did the gaba cause any intense irrational fear? I want to taper off but i cant imagine how much worse yhings could get

In terms of fear, I do have some irrational fears now that I've been off of it. Like, I read some scary stories the other day and was freaked out for a while. Can't go into my basement at night or go outside.

So the only thing that will affect my recovery from gabapentin is my time on it and my dose, right? The benzo withdrawal won't affect it?