Have You Been Able to Keep Working? If so, how?

[61...]

[61...]

I posted this is the withdrawal support sub but it applies here as well since my panic disorder and GAD have been the reason I've quit my last four jobs.

I've found it incredibly hard to hold a job while going through this terrible process mostly due to the horribe depersonalization and agoraphobia that I've never had to deal with before. I'm lucky enough that I have my parents to help me out but at the same time they're not wealthy and my bills are starting to become a burden on them.

For those of you who have been able to continue working during tapering and withdrawal, I was hoping for some helpful tips on how you're able to do it without it being complete hell. Also, what types of fields/positions work better for our situation? My degree is in English and Communications but I'm planning on getting certified in social work and eventually my Master's in psychology because I really want to help other people who struggle with anxiety.

Thanks.

[33...]

I believe that there are jobs that are better (and worse) suited for withdrawal and the anxiety that it often brings).  I worked during my withdrawal.  I generally do lab and computer work, and have a fair amount of freedom in my daily tasks.  My interaction with the general public is limited and usually scheduled.  I would have found it very difficult to interact with people on a regular basis, but that is probably also due to me being a little on the introverted side.  It causes me a little bit of stress to deal with people (especially 'some' people), but I can do it as long as I get a little time away from people.  I don't know how I'd survive if I had to do 8 straight hours of (e.g.) customer service.

Hopefully, you find a job that is a good fit for your current situation.

[06...]

Hi

I am a nurse and was working 12 hour shifts and shift work. I am unable to work right now and I think it makes things much harder for me.

I find it hard to fill my time, have no ambition to do anything.

I am fortunate to be able to work from home since my job is just being on a computer all day. I log into my company's server remotely. I don't have a strict schedule, so I'm able to take breaks and go outside or lie down a bit if I need to.

I've basically worked since I jumped. I work as an in house graphic designer for a company, so I dont deal with outside people much. I've been there almost 16 years, so know the other employees really well. I've been there long enough that some of what I do is somewhat autopilot. I've had to take a few days off when I couldn't sleep.

" I was hoping for some helpful tips on how you're able to do it without it being complete hell."

Unfortunately, I did it (hold onto my FT job during wd) because I had to do it, no real choice. It was, however, complete hell.

laser

Not complete hell, but it was damned difficult I'll tell you.

My job had the option of being alone, or working with others- to the tune of however much I desired.

The Boss, had my back. That and that alone made a world of difference.

The therapist helped a lot too.  Motivation. The wife- the kids, the need to provide for them- also helped me continue. My family did what they could emotionally and other ways.

My attitude. It needed renewal every

damned

day.

Viktor Frankl- Man's Search For Meaning. I used that account of Mr. Frankl's survival of his Holocaust death camp as a standard. If he could survive a death camp I could handle going to work.

Not easy, but I did. 

Good luck.

I can relate to all these posts!  I'm a bit of an introvert as well. While I like interacting with people I need time to recharge. Fortunately my job has allowed that during my withdrawal. Also, like someone else said, my boss completely has my back. Without that, working would have been impossible. They really bent over backwards to make this work for me. Some days I just flat out couldn't work. I feel for those folks that have less flexible jobs. I don't know how they do it.

[fe...]
I got a temporary work from home job that lasted a few months doing customer service for Turbo Tax.  The distraction was excellent, but I did find the work stressful, even being in the comfort of my own home.  Now I am trying to think of some kind of job or career that is flexible and doesn't involve constant human interaction.

I work with people and have to cold call etc, some days I have to back off due to what I call too much flooding, too much anxiety does not help us deal with these situations, I try to expose gradually if I'm in a bad place.

Yes, it is complete hell.  I am able to do it right now only because like others have stated, I have to.  I like some others here, have a very understanding boss, have asked for a less stressful workload (and received it), and have a few work at home options from week to week.  HOWEVER, I realize that this is NOT the case for most people...  Those of use whose employers know and are able to sympathize with our situations are very, very blessed.  So with that said, I only really have a couple of suggestions...

Have you considered finding a job through someone that you know who knows your situation before you start?  This might lessen the fear of working through this, and also they will know that you might have set-backs.

Also, are you able to find a job that you could work very, very part time at?  Maybe only a shift or two at first?

If any of this sounds trite, I'm very sorry.  I sympathize for anyone having to try to live life normally through this...

Best of luck.

For those of you who have been able to continue working during tapering and withdrawal, I was hoping for some helpful tips on how you're able to do it without it being complete hell. Also, what types of fields/positions work better for our situation? My degree is in English and Communications but I'm planning on getting certified in social work and eventually my Master's in psychology because I really want to help other people who struggle with anxiety.

Honestly, the only way I got through complete hell, was one day at a time. I had long periods where every day I had to talk myself into going to work instead of running for the hills screaming. But, the more that I just forced myself to do it, the more I believed that I could do it, and the more tools I found to help me along the way.

I work in internet software. It's challenging and intellectually demanding. It's also an industry that's prone to nice, friendly office spaces, and to being able to perform work effectively from other locations if necessary. Last summer I rented a room in a lady's house way out in the country, and when city life was just too difficult, I would go out there for several days. Being able to have a job where it's possible to do that, was incredibly helpful, and I am grateful and thankful for the opportunity.

[fd...]

Hi

I am a nurse and was working 12 hour shifts and shift work. I am unable to work right now and I think it makes things much harder for me.

I find it hard to fill my time, have no ambition to do anything.

Nurse here too (only ever did 12 hr shift inpatient nursing), and I definitely can't work!  The two main reasons for me are that my sleep and daytime anxiety are both very iffy.  At almost 4 months out, I occasionally sleep without issues, but most nights still pace the floor after being awakened by panic attacks, then am able to sleep only after it gets light out.  Once up for the day, I have some good days where I get out and function fairly well, but others were I hibernate and struggle with painful anxiety.  It's all such a roller coaster ride, I wouldn't be a reliable worker.  It would be impossible to properly attend to sick patients while also dealing with withdrawal issues. Being hyper-irritable right now, I can't imagine that beeping pumps, vents, and all the other sounds in a medical workplace would feel good.  I agree that it's hard to fill the days with meaningful tasks.  I miss feeling useful and having a good income, but I HAVE TO finish this withdrawal in order to have any chance of living a worthwhile life.  Once my brain quiets down a bit more, I'll start CBT (to learn to better manage anxiety without medication), which will at least give my weeks a bit more focus.