The 10 Commandments of Panic Attacks

[Th...]

The 10 Commandments of Panic Attacks (posted by Dominic)

1.  It does not matter if you feel frightened, bewildered, unreal, or unsteady. These feelings are nothing more than an exaggeration of the normal bodily reactions to stress.

2.  Just because you have these sensations doesn't mean you are very sick. These feelings are just frightening and unpleasant, not dangerous. Nothing worse will happen to you.

3.  Let your feelings come. They've been in charge of you. You've been pumping them up and making them more acute. Stop pumping. Don't run away from panic. When you feel the panic mount, take a deep breath and as you breathe out, let go. Keep trying. Stay there almost as if you were floating in space. Don't fight the feeling of panic. Accept it. You can do it.

4.  Try to make yourself as comfortable as possible without escaping. If you're on a street, lean against a post or stone wall. If you're in a store, try to find a quite corner with no people. If you can find a chair to sit on, do it and it's okay to tell the clerk that you're not feeling well and want to rest for a moment. DO NOT get in your car and go home in fear.

5.  Stop adding to your panic with frightening thoughts about what is happening and where it might lead. Don't indulge in self-pity and think, "Why can't I be like all the other normal people? Why do I have to go through all this?" Just accept what is happening to you. If you do this, what you fear most will not happen.

6.  Think about what is really happening to your body at this moment. Do you think, "Something terrible is going to happen! I must get out!" Repeat to yourself, "I will not fall, faint, die, or lose control."

7.  Now wait and give the fear time to pass. Do not run away. Others have found the strength. You will, too. Notice that as you stop adding the frightening thoughts to your panic, the fear starts to fade away by itself.

8.  This is your opportunity to practice. Think of it that way, that NOW is your chance to get better. Even if you feel like something bad is going to happen to you, one of these days you will not feel that way. Sometime soon, you will be able to go through the panic and say, "I did it!" Once you say this, you will have progressed a long way toward conquering fear.

9.  Try to distract yourself from what is going on inside you. Look at your surroundings. See the other people on the street, in the bus. They are with you, not against you.

10.  When the panic subsides, let your body go loose, take a deep breath, and go on with your day. Remember, each time you cope with a panic attack, you reduce your fear.

Adapted from Fensterheim, H., and Doer, J. Stop Running Scared! New Your: Dell, 1977.

Excellent post Theresa!   Thanks for sharing!     :thumbsup:

Dominic posted this to his thread so I just copied it and moved it here!  :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Awesome! Running away from situations that cause panic just reinforces the negative reactions to that place. Like Claire Weekes said, recovery lies in those places you fear.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...