April 2015 Study: "The Popularity of Benzodiazepines...."

[La...]

This new abstract just became available on PubMed, and although there's no content, I thought I'd pass along the link so people can see the title. It would be very interesting to read the whole thing, however the title is quite telling already.

Have a look:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25830504

Benzodiazepines are indeed popular. They're popular because they work fast, they're cheap and widely available, they're considered to be safe and effective, and because taking a pill is easier than doing counseling, or meditating or a myriad of other things that can address insomnia and anxiety in a long-term way. The second part of the title hints at another reason why they're popular, and that's because there are few alternatives available at present.

The defenders of the benzo business keep fighting back, don't they?

Yep, ....I reckon Benzos do have their place for emergencies...thats all !

thanks for posting Lapis....

I recently posted another article that gave an insider's view into why GPs prescribe benzodiazepines. It was fascinating, frustrating, scary and maddening all at the same time. The reasons for prescribing ranged from feeling sorry for the patient to feeling that there are no other options, with a myriad of other reasons in the middle. A lot has to change. A lot of education is required.