German pilot on Loraepam confirmed

[Lu...]

I wanted to come here a few weeks ago and predict that I know for a fact this pilot was on benzodiazepines. Because only someone on benzo's knows how badly it distorts your mind and how it can make you do things that are monstrous. I just saw in the news that the pilot is confirmed to have been on lorazepam. I would love for the world to take notice of this and get informed about benzodiazepines and their danger. I really hope that's one good thing comes out of this.

I wanted to come here a few weeks ago and predict that I know for a fact this pilot was on benzodiazepines. Because only someone on benzo's knows how badly it distorts your mind and how it can make you do things that are monstrous. I just saw in the news that the pilot is confirmed to have been on lorazepam. I would love for the world to take notice of this and get informed about benzodiazepines and their danger. I really hope that's one good thing comes out of this.

[/quote

Makes the two of us, first thing which entered my mind.

My Family and friends told me not to get an obsession about Benzos......

today after the news cast....they are baffled........I'm bloody not. :(

"Medical experts say it can also increase the risk of self-harm at the start of treatment.  -

See more at: http://www.floridanewstime.com/regional/97809-germany-to-review-mental-health-testing-for-pilots-as-it-emerges-andreas-lubitz-was-on-anti-anxiety-drug.html#sthash.caCgsAXg.dpuf"

Nothing about withdrawal ...... let's see where this goes.

No knowledge about tolerance wd........I wonder where this will go.

from: http://www.ibtimes.com/what-drugs-was-andreas-lubitz-lorazepam-antidepressants-could-have-affected-1867744

Lorazepam is a drug that is typically prescribed to treat anxiety that works by “slowing activity in the brain to allow for relaxation,” according to an information page by the U.S. National Institutes of Health. The NIH warned that the drug can be “habit-forming,” or addictive, and should not be stopped suddenly as doing so can cause “anxiousness, sleeplessness, and irritability.” There are a host of side effects, including restlessness and blurred vision.

So - some awareness. In our networked, open media world, this will all eventually be figured out.

more from the above article

The Food and Drug Administration’s drug information page for Ativan, a brand name for lorazepam, noted that the drug’s effectiveness for long-term use—a period defined as more than four months—has yet to be clinically assessed. It remains unclear how long Lubitz had been taking the drug. The FDA warned that “pre-existing depression may emerge or worsen during use of benzodiazepines [a class of tranquilizer drugs that includes Valium and Xanax], including lorazepam.” It highlighted as well that lorazepam can have an even more depressive effect depending on what other drugs are taken simultaneously. Brand names for lorazepam include Ativan and Lorazepam Intensol.

more from the above article

The Food and Drug Administration’s drug information page for Ativan, a brand name for lorazepam, noted that the drug’s effectiveness for long-term use—a period defined as more than four months—has yet to be clinically assessed. It remains unclear how long Lubitz had been taking the drug. The FDA warned that “pre-existing depression may emerge or worsen during use of benzodiazepines [a class of tranquilizer drugs that includes Valium and Xanax], including lorazepam.” It highlighted as well that lorazepam can have an even more depressive effect

depending on what other drugs are taken simultaneously. Brand names for lorazepam include Ativan and Lorazepam Intensol.

Has yet to be clinically assessed ?

Oh dear, sounds like see you again in 10 years time. :(

Well, hopefully, doctors will realized that  despite being around for 30 years, long-term effectiveness has yet to be "assessed."

Sorry - my mouth continues to hang open in amazement -

Also the cops said they found a "mountain of pills" in his house and they believe he stopped taking them. I bet he tried to C/T and went to hell, so he decided to end his hell doing what he liked to do most. They should put a Benzo survivor on CNN to explain this.

Having been on Lorazepam/Ativan...

I STILL think he was a selfish little fuck!  He wanted to off himself he could've just as simply rented a one-man plane for a day.  BUT NOOOOO!  He had to take others out with him.

The suicidal ideation I"m all too familiar with.

But I never wanted to hurt someone else in the bargain.  If I ever have the chance I'm pissing on his grave.

This story is so chilling. Qui, like you, my mouth is hanging open once again. Unbelievable! If his breathing was heard to be calm and normal on the voice recorder, it may be because he took a little pill that kept him calm while the plane was about to smash into the Alps. Chilling indeed.

I agree Lapis. And Lucid - I thought the same as you when I read about the mountain of pills. Probably went C/T to pass a blood test and went into withdrawal. Probably in and out for years, kindling and slowly going insane.

But maybe the murderous tendencies came from one of the A/Ds. Who knows - in poly-drug land nobody knows - including the doctors and big pharma.

I thought German doctors was pretty ahead of the curve though. It was a German research doc who first hipped me to the dangers of benzos. While my US docs were scripting away.

I hope the murderousness is because he was a psychopath. You can be all of this at the same time. What a hero he would've been if he had delivered his people safely wrote a final letter about his pain, and then killed himself. I can't believe I just said that.

Maybe I am naive but I think this is going to lead to more enlightened perspectives.

He was having "vision problems" too.  I know my eyes have been screwed up on and off while on the drug and continue when in a wave. In a window no eye problems. Hmmmm

I agree Drew - during a window, I walk outside and am ASTONISHED at how beautiful the world is - but tonight I'm sitting in bed, cross-eyed as I type this !!

At the height of my withdrawal I had a "floater" episode. So that eye will never be 100% again. Doc says it's a natural part of aging, but at 59, a bit early. I'll always think that the benzo hell may have accelerated the process.

Oh well.

I hope the murderousness is because he was a psychopath. You can be all of this at the same time. What a hero he would've been if he had delivered his people safely wrote a final letter about his pain, and then killed himself. I can't believe I just said that.

Maybe I am naive but I think this is going to lead to more enlightened perspectives.

More enlightenment would be nice but I don't see it happening.  This will get lost in the mental health arena, not problems with the meds used to treat. 

We are the only ones having these conversations.  I spend much time with peops who don't have issues with drugs and for them this is a tragedy, but the tragedy is wrapped up in the mistakes that the mental health system has made.  Wrong drugs, or rather not enough of the right drugs.  Mistakes made by the airline industry, society in general, and the dilemma of what to do with the mentally I'll.  The idea that the meds may have somehow been responsible doesn't come up.  Even when I bring it up, the conversation goes no where because they don't understand it like we do.  How could they?  And convincing them if any of this is just not possible, even as I use myself as an example.  Because I'm off and have largely recovered is only a testimonial to someone overcoming addiction, and proving  that mental health issues can be overcome with extraordinary effort.  How it was done and why is only of passing interest, a footnote.

Most are busy with their lives and those lives have little to do with drugs except when watching the news.

I would love to be wrong about this!

More enlightenment would be nice but I don't see it happening.  This will get lost in the mental health arena, not problems with the meds used to treat. 

We are the only ones having these conversations.  I spend much time with peops who don't have issues with drugs and for them this is a tragedy, but the tragedy is wrapped up in the mistakes that the mental health system has made.  Wrong drugs, or rather not enough of the right drugs.  Mistakes made by the airline industry, society in general, and the dilemma of what to do with the mentally I'll.  The idea that the meds may have somehow been responsible doesn't come up.  Even when I bring it up, the conversation goes no where because they don't understand it like we do.  How could they?  And convincing them if any of this is just not possible, even as I use myself as an example.  Because I'm off and have largely recovered is only a testimonial to someone overcoming addiction, and proving  that mental health issues can be overcome with extraordinary effort.  How it was done and why is only of passing interest, a footnote.

Most are busy with their lives and those lives have little to do with drugs except when watching the news.

I would love to be wrong about this!

I agree. There is no way to know for sure what caused this chain of events and although most of us are all too familiar with what benzos and polydrugging can do it is way too easy for the rest of the world to find other things to blame. Medications are the cure, not the problem.

Of course all of this is speculation and it is very possible that this individual had much bigger problems but i guess it is a good thing that benzos are at least a footnote in these kinds of stories cause maybe one day it will make people start to pay attention. Who knows.

I also had vision problems b/c of Benzos. I also agree with Beau that the conversation will be about the illness and not the drugs. I also agree its impossible to convince people unless they have experience with it. How could we know more than doctors, right?

Guys,

I'm just saying, The world changes a little bit every day. look what's happening in Indiana. Did you think you would see a black man in the white house in your life? Before BB was there a community of people talking about this at length, with any wisdom? You can't know the score before the game, that's why they play it. Even if its the Pats against...Cleveland?

DD

That's true, and it's good to think positively about it. Change can happen over time, and we can't know exactly when, but there's more info available than ever before. And if that info gets shared and discussed, then it can expand from there.

I hope I'm around to see it if it ever hits critical mass.  Would like to know how that will happen and see the fall out.

If these drugs are a big enough problem and that's a dirty little secret that is cleverly being manipulated on this grandest of scales, look out!

Thanks Lapis.

And remember there are so many family members and loved ones who are going to want to know about this and litigate. "Murder will out" and I always can't help but think truth will out.

DD (AKA Pollyanna)

Here's a strong possibility:

since he had "mountains of drugs" at his place, people will say he should have stayed on his meds.

I have a question: how long did it take for the phenobarbital and its ilk to become out of favor?

Iggy