Are you smarter or chock full of more wisdom than me?

[Je...]

Tell me why...

Xanax, which is a depressant, causes fatigue when it wears off.  You'd think, being a CNS depressant, it would cause marked overstimulation, which sometimes it does.  Wait very long and that overstim feeling, turns to fatigue or lowness. 

Impress me..

Tell me why...

Xanax, which is a depressant, causes fatigue when it wears off.  You'd think, being a CNS depressant, it would cause marked overstimulation, which sometimes it does.  Wait very long and that overstim feeling, turns to fatigue or lowness. 

Impress me..

No, I would think "...being a CNS depressant" it would be  sedating, depressing.  That's what "depressant" means.

What I meant was:  Since Xanax is a CNS depressant, WD or ID WD should manifest itself as

the opposite..overstimulation.  Right?  Why the interdose WD fatigue and depression, when it wears off?

Tell me why...

Impress me..

No, I would think "...being a CNS depressant" it would be  sedating, depressing.  That's what "depressant" means.

I don't believe anyone on here let alone any scientists or researchers can truly ecplain the complicated action ofbenzos on the cns. It isn't as simple as you posit - that they depress your cns so they should cause anxiety in wd although that is a common wd side effect. Apparently these powerful meds modify the receptors in complicated ways leading to a plethora of varied side effects. Plus, apparently anxiety and depression are closely related which is why ssri meds are used to treat both.

In my case I don't know if I suffer what is technically clinical depression. I get anxiety which manifests itself in a type of ocd  thinking wherein I ruminate on what an idiot I was to take this stuff, how I ruined my family's future and how trapped I am. This in turn leads to an overpowering feeling of sadness I find hard to shake. That's how I experience it.

Hi Jerryk,

I'm not sure I'll impress you but this is what happened to me and how I analyze it. During tolerance withdrawal and the first half of my taper, I exhibited varying degrees of akathisia. I didn't get more than 4 hrs sleep ever...with most nights between 2 and 4 hrs. I was in a constant state of restlessness with bouts of severe anxiety every morning, and during life stress events (even small ones). About halfway thru my taper, marking the end of the akathisia phase, I was assaulted by the worst fatigue I've had in my life. At the halfway point until shortly after freeing myself from the benzo, I literally hugged the couch. I drug myself out of bed everyday to go to work but that's all I could do. I had no energy to do anything and would be breathless just walking around the house. It was so bad I didn't even try to will it away...that's how beat I was. I still had anxiety bouts during the fatigue phase but they were always short-lived. I have gradually regained my energy but it's been a long road. However, my sleep is still an issue.

Here's my take on all that:

The akathisia is a reaction to not enough drug in the body or an imbalance of chemicals...while the fatigue is a reaction of the brain taking control again and putting us down because there's an imbalance of nutrients caused by the withdrawal phases.

Hopefully, I explained myself well enough...

I would just expect to feel overstimulated at times, cutting down on Xanax, and I don't.  In fact I typically feel mental fatigue, with blurred vision....some anxiety etc....but I should be WIRED...

In Dr Shipkos book on Xanax Withdrawal, he states:  the initial reaction to missed doses is often drowsiness and fatigue....rather than anxiety...