Treating distress without prescription drugs

[Qu...]

“And they never offered counselling, even though they had a psychotherapist in that hospital. They just dish out tablets, and there are obviously reasons why people feel anxious or depressed which they need to talk about and understand. Psychotherapy should be the first port of call for these problems.”

Echoing concerns voiced by Prof Healy and Prof Browne about the additional dangers of SSRIs, Hayes noted that when an SSRI called Seroxat was added to her drug cocktail things got even worse.

---------------

Well once I've stabilized off the Benzos (about another month or so) I'll be working on tapering off of my SSRI.  Wish me luck.

[1b...]

Thank you for posting this, Qui. This is a very good article.

My favorite lines:

“We need to recognise that the heart is our real centre, not the brain. All our emotional life is centred in the heart and there are more messages going from the heart to the brain than vice-versa. There’s an awful lot yet to be understood,” says Browne.

Qui, thank you so much for posting this excellent article! It covers so many of the important points that we're all familiar with here. I'd like to see this type of article in newspapers everywhere!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is a very good article.

There's only one thing that I had problems with, the quote: “For those on the drug who plan to stop taking it, never stop abruptly. Speak to your doctor and find a tapering schedule that is safe and not rushed.”

This is an excellent quote, but unfortunately, since doctors don't seem to have any consensus on what a "safe and not rushed" tapering schedule is, and most seem to think that tapering off extremely quickly is considered safe, they keep leading their patients down a terribly wrong and painful road.