hands falling asleep at night?

[mo...]

The last couple nights, my hands have been getting the prickly tingling sensation like I've been sleeping on them and they are asleep or something like that.  But, it's happened several times to each hand and as far as I can tell, I wasn't lying on them or anything.  When I move them, the feeling comes back pretty quickly.

I don't have any problems with them during the day.

Is this anxiety or something else?  I don't believe I have carpal tunnel syndrome or anything like that.

Thanks,

moto joe

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, yes, this happens to me almost every night, some mornings I wake up and can't feel my hands at all! I think it's a side effect of w/d and anxiety issues. Try stretching your arms out when you're falling asleep or maybe lying them in between your legs if you sleep on your side. Putting them behind your head while sleeping could cause them to fall asleep that way :)

• 3 weeks later...
Mine does only on left side,Dr put me on atenolol for about 3 months.However mine is the lower part of the palm of my hand and bottom of pinky finger,I never had issues until I started the atenolol,I have been off the atenolol for about seven weeks,I massage it at night and use healing cream I got at walmart.It seems to be getting better but not over it, I too suffer from anxiety,I also take two drugs for bp.and thats another story,but I take Hydroxyzine for anxiety.As i said i never had this issue until I started taking the atenolol,Hope it alll goes away soon.

• 1 month later...

The last couple nights, my hands have been getting the prickly tingling sensation like I've been sleeping on them and they are asleep or something like that.  But, it's happened several times to each hand and as far as I can tell, I wasn't lying on them or anything.  When I move them, the feeling comes back pretty quickly.

I don't have any problems with them during the day.

Is this anxiety or something else?  I don't believe I have carpal tunnel syndrome or anything like that.

Thanks,

moto joe

I don't think it is caused by anxiety but just one of the withdrawal symptoms:

Ashton Manual: "Bodily sensations. All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them." See: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

VN

• 1 month later...
This has been happening to me during my 6 months off of the benzos. It's so weird how these meds can affect the weirdest of things.

I agree this could totally be a withdrawl symptom and I'm sure it is for you.  If it goes on for a long time, I would see a doctor.  I brushed it off as nothing for a long long time, and it was actually a disc injury.  DON'T get scared by that, because they are rare....and usually easily fixed.  I was just a little peeved that no one (doctors) suggested injury or actual problem.  They more just treated me like a drug addict, awful.  Keep an eye on it ;)

Fusion151,

This doesn't happen every night for me.  It comes and goes.  I might get it 2 nights in a row, then it'll disappear for a week or more.  The thing is, it doesn't seem to be that I am sleeping on my hands.  I would get this once in a blue moon years ago, but it would only be one night every year or something like that.

Thanks,

moto joe

I'm eight months off and I just started getting this recently. I've quit posting my symptoms because they're are all so strange and variable but maybe us both having it means its withdrawal. I was waking up with my hands asleep, sometimes completely numb. Now I get it even during the day but the weird thing is now its just my index finger and thumb area and no longer my whole hand. It comes on suddenly and goes pretty quickly too if I move my hand around. Weird,weird stuff. I've given up trying to understand it. :idiot:

• 2 weeks later...
Yep. I get this almost every night since I jumped in January. I've read that it's completely normal. I just change positions when it happens.