• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ho...]

• [Ro...]

• [es...]

I find meditation to be a great way of calming those panic attacks down. There's tons of good cds out there and also on youtube. You just have to close your eyes and take deep breaths, it really does work.

• 3 months later...
[18...]
Thanks for all that! Anxiety and brain fog are my two least favorite symptoms of benzo hell. Anything to help with that :thumbsup: is always a plus.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jeff, great post really great, I am 16 and half month off now I reaaly see improvments, but the waves are still very annoying, what I did is whenever I felt barely ok, I would go out with friends or fishing the thing I love to do, and when a wave hits I try to remember that 2 weeks ago I traveled for a sport that I love, it doesn't make the sxs go away but gives me reassurense that if I felt barely ok I will probably feel it again, but still the waves are crashing on me more than the windows :)) but I guess I will be better soon TIME, it's hard to stay always positive specially when you have a good couple of days but we have to keep moving right

thanks ! i was actually just going through a panic attack. the part about worry about your diaphragm and not your upper chest (which i do alot and thats where the problem starts) really helped i really hate this but its good to know its people just like me who can help and relate to this! once more THANK YOU!

• 1 month later...

Hi I have been asked to post this here. it was a reply on an introduction thread. Hope some may find it of help.

Josh

Hi Dian I am sorry the breathing issue is so foremost but not surprised. Others here have given expert advice when they say use distraction. I really do understand that distraction when used, can in its self, bring on increased hyperventilation is so far as it signals the brain that you are trying to escape and reinforces the fact you, (your wife) is now in the depths of terror believing that she will stop breathing.

I, to this day as I said before, suffer horrendous panic attacks, and I have used many ways to distract myself. Firstly I name my panic attack, like a cartoon charactor. I call my panic attack bugs bunny and Yo Samedy Sam, both cartoon charactors. I welcome it and say "OK bugs your here, pull up a seat I will not send you away, I will know you and show you that after you have done your best, I will still be here and breathing calmly again".

I keep a Tupperware box full of dry sand, I let the sand run through my fingers and watch it, even when struggling to get that ever so elusive "deep satisfying breath" I will look out of my window at neighbours lights and accept that in those moments of madness, if i have to, ill drag myself across the road to hold the hand of a neighbour if I am to die. I of course DONT die. I have an old water pistol, always filled, I will walk around squirting it at things, even as I do I am now thinking "omg look at the puddle on the kitchen floor, I must clean it up soon"

I will get an old newspaper and tear the thinest of strips from it and see how thin I can tear a strip off. I will look at a special photo and kiss it or hold it and say "this will pass" "I have survived much worse". I have found that wetting my hair and brushing it forward and backward and looking at how ridiculous I look in my mirror can actually be funny as I try, in the throws of panic, to style my hair in different ways. I have people I totally trust on speed dial, in case I need to ring them, as talking to them make me stop taking so many deep breaths, and does slow my breathing down. The all time classic of breathing into a paper bag or any smallish bag and braething back my own oxygen, even though I feel I have not got a breath in me to spare.

I ask my cartton charactor to do its worst, I give it a minute to do that, telling it clearly that after 1 minute if I am still here then it "panic attack" has failed and I will dismiss it and invite it to leave me, that "i am bored of it now" "you have had your chance".

Of course it sounds very simplistic and indeed it really is. I make no light of the horror of panic or the feeling of not being able to breath, and all of the above may seem unrealistic, however in the face of no other alternatives, your wife has nothing to loose by maybe trying and everything in terms of lessening the impact of panic and breathing difficulties by having a go.

Please look at other ways of distraction too. Others here have suggested a film/DVD, and I too have found certain films have a calming affect. You could both discuss coping means as a remedy and maybe between you both, you will find something that helps. I do not distract from the very real affects of terror during these times of panic, but I only seek to show that after what seems a lifetime, I am still here, and yes "Bugs" and "Yo Samedy Sam" still call by and yes "I still lessen" their impact by all or some of the above.

Hold on tight and know that it WILL get better, we learn from our anxiety and our brains will kick into survival mode more often than we give conscious thought to. My total admiration to you and your wife, keep on fighting but not too hard, be as gentle as possible and see that when it does pass, your wife is the WINNER a fight well fought and a victory honourably won. IT CAN BE DONE.

My sincere best as ever

Josh x

• 1 month later...
Believe it or not try jogging. I was always too scared to jog with my heart beating so fast already...but i did it to see what would happen and after 30 minutes of jogging i stopped and my anxiety/panic was all gone completely. Your body i think can only do one or the other.... :yippee:

• 1 month later...
Have also heard that submerging your face in cold water helps .Hold your breath and submerge..this is called the dive response.Your heart slows down blood flow to non essential organs is reduced and blood flow is redirected to the heart and brain.This response can actually help regulate your emotions ..Worth a try if your really freaking out.

I had a very bad attack when I thought my meds weren't going to get here in time. I've only been tapering 1 week and I took an extra pill. I really want this taper to work. Thank you for your suggestions, it's really important to me not to ever do that again. I want to heal so badly like you are.

Deep deep belly breaths so your stomach is pushed in and out, not only does your body need the oxygen, it also stimulates the vegus nerve which activates the calming of the autonomic nervous system.  At the very worst, it certainly can't hurt.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest some of you visit the diazapine thread.  There are several buddies tapering off of Valium, and some of the bunch have been through a lot.  It is a long thread, but It is very good.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just tried the Mind-Body Scan meditation, and it really helped. For 30 minutes, I nearly lost the bad anxiety.

Can you direct me to info on this?

Two hours sleep, benzobrain and am computer-illiterate but......I do believe the Mind/Body scan is on this BB site. Try searching for it. Or just type it into your regular  search engine and it will come up. Its also on YouTube. I just dont know how to attach stuff like this and am too exhausted and numb to attempt.

i apologize...............................

aw gee, now my face is red. Someone just posted  the MindBody scan.

And Wilson, my deaf cat, just jumped on the printer and now its spewing out.....who knows? I think he's jealous of this computer.  :-[ :-[

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Jeff.  Driving, walmart . AGRAPHOBIA BIG TIME. I wrote down your cálm down plan with my own thoughts lfalse, tricky TEMPORARY BRAIN CHEMISTRY.  Sunglasses I must.  I forget to use. A visor too could help.  FEAR TO DRIVE ANY DISTANCE.  HOPE THIS POSTS. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...